FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Childhood Toy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite Childhood Toy
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, my best friend in early grade school had a Capsela set. I used to love playing with it in their bath tub.

Teshi, how old's your mom? I'm 33. My Spirograph was actually a hand-me-down from my brother, and I'm not sure how old it actually was when I inherited it. It was a very cool toy though.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
The best toys were forests and tree forts, and rocks, if they can count. That was how I spent most of my childhood.

As far as commercial things go, I played with paper dolls a lot. My sister and I would go through Archie comics and make all Betty and Veronica's outfits for them. I remember my arms would get *so* tired holding the dolls and paper up against the window to trace the shapes.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
skillery:

[Eek!]

I guess I never saw the chairs as potential toilets, but that is creative, especially with the chocolate chips. I did think the stroller looked like a toilet, though, so that's what I used in their bathroom.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon: Older than you!

I guess it's just been around for a long time [Smile] . It's certainly an amazing toy. I've never seen a good one sold- there are imitations that I've seen but they are "dumbed down", which is always very disappointing.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon - I forgot about the Spirograph! How could I forget about the Spirograph? Also one of my favorites; excellent! Thanks for the memory.

Also, this reminded me of the Etch-A-Sketch. I don't ever remember actually drawing things with it. Rather, I always tried to completely uncover the entire screen, one line at a time, so I could see "inside".

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Playmobil. And I'm still in my childhood.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The best toys were forests and tree forts, and rocks, if they can count. That was how I spent most of my childhood.

Ohhh - absolutely! Not enough kids get that kind of outdoors play time anymore. I had the absolute best babysitter for Nathan when he was 1 - 4 years old. She had a great imagination and was so very willing to build with sticks, rocks, dirt, water . . . and just let him lead the play.

*smiles fondly remembering*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
*nostalgia*

My favorite toy was my dollhouse. It was made from pink, blue, and white plastic and had a whole assortment of plastic people that went in it. There was a mother, a father, twin teenage girls (i.e. the same doll in two different color schemes), a younger brother and sister, two identical babies, a dog, and a random guy who lived under the parents' bed. There was also another sister (who was actually a Little Person, not from the same set as the others), but I lost her somewhere and never found her, so she was thereafter spoken of as Poor Lost Melissa. [Razz] My then-best friend and I used to spend hours making up stories for these people when we were at my house. And during P.E. at school, we'd wander around the playground looking for bits of random junk to use for dollhouse furniture.

I still have the dollhouse in a corner of my room at home. I haven't looked at it in ages, though. It's probably all dusty by now....But I really loved it when I was a kid.

~Jane~

[ April 12, 2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: JaneX ]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite as a little kid was my Inchworm (and I can't believe I actually FOUND that!!!).

When I got older, I became addicted to Strawberry Shortcake (and Megan, I'm soooo with you on the new incarnation) and Rainbow Brite.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the exact same thing with the Etch-a-Sketch arevoj. Of course, in my case that was partly because I felt like my Etch-a-Sketch drawings were dismal failures compared to my older brother's (the fact that he had three years worth of gross motor skill development on me didn't occur to me), and it was something interesting to do with the toy that didn't leave me feeling inadequate.

I had one of those inch worms too, I think! Either that or I had a friend that did. They were very cool.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
My fav. toy was one of those bears that Wal-Mart sells every holiday season. I used to have a 1993 series I think, maybe it was a '92 though.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.