FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Schindlers are greedy, hypocritical expletiveholes

Author Topic: The Schindlers are greedy, hypocritical expletiveholes
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the excuse for this?
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had my identity stolen and exploited, so seeing something like this sets me on edge even more then normal. What's sad in this case is that these donors truly cared about the matter and now they are going to be punished for their support.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Might help them cover their court costs and attorney fees. Is that so bad?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not good when the Schindlers' list of their donors who have already helped them pay attorneys is sold, that's milking it. Why should they be harassed for donations again? I'm sure most would prefer anonymity.

But I'm not surprised.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stark
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for Stark   Email Stark         Edit/Delete Post 
How much you wanna bet that all the conservative demagogues who called Michael Shiavo a murderer will ignore this?
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the NYTimes
"Executives of Response Unlimited declined to comment. Gary McCullough, director of the Christian Communication Network and a spokesman for Ms. Schiavo's parents, confirmed that Mr. Schindler had agreed to let Response Unlimited rent out the list as part of a deal for the firm to send an e-mail solicitation raising money on the family's behalf."

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
More from the NY Times article:
"On Sunday, as the Schindlers gave up on their legal battle and their daughter passed her 10th day without food, others continued to rally supporters and solicit money in an effort to restore the feeding tube.

"This time, we have a real chance to break through the 'roadblocks' that the enemies of life have been putting up in front of us," said a mass e-mailing from RightMarch.com, asking supporters to urge Gov. Jeb Bush to intervene somehow.

The message added: "We're asking you to give a donation to help with our activism efforts to save Terri's life. Battles cost money; resources cost money; media costs money; we could go on, but you get the picture."

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Too many people are convinced (mostly the ones producing the spam, natch) that spam -- be it phone calls, mail solicitations, or email -- "doesn't actually hurt anyone!"

When I discovered that the cost of a "free" site was spamming 5 friends, I sent an angry email to the site owner. His primary response was to let me know that I could, if I preferred, have the "come join my site!" email sent anonymously to 10 people instead. I explained that it wasn't that my friends would know that I had spammed them, it was the spamming itself that I objected to. He clearly didn't understand the problem. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rav
Member # 7595

- posted      Profile for rav           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for helping us out, Why don't you sign up with our MLM so we can milk you for the rest of your life too. Oh, and since you've already donated you're now approved for donating %20 of your yearly income.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh. "Expletiveholes". [Smile]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not good when the Schindlers' list of their donors who have already helped them pay attorneys is sold, that's milking it.
I couldn't help it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How are the Schindlers hypocritical?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that pain Rivka - my mom, before I blocked her email, sent me e-cards from a free site.

My inbox almost tripled in spam from variations of the same address.

As for suing anti-spam agencies, it's like telemarketers who vigorously opposed the anti-telemarketing bill. It would seriously curtail if not outright cut off their ability to make money.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That article is HIGHLY misleading. There's a more complete one which An even slightly more accurate story than the one posted, such as this one, would have made it clear that the SCHINDLER'S AREN'T GETTING ANY OF THE MONEY:

quote:
According to The New York Times, a spokesman for Schiavo's parents confirmed that Bob Schindler had agreed to allow Response Unlimited to rent out the list as part of a deal for the firm to send an e-mail soliciting funds for the legal fight to keep his daughter alive.
Basically, these guys came to the Schindlers to help them raise money for the lawyers. Part of the contract was the right to use the list. The Schindlers signed it when they were in the midst of the battle over Terri's life. Here's there side of the story:

quote:
Pamela Hennessy, a spokeswoman for the Terri Schindler-Schiavo Foundation, said she doubted that Schindler knew the names would be offered for sale.

"I don't honestly believe that Mr. Schindler would have understood those to be the terms -- the sale of the names," she said.

"I've got more than 8,000 people on my lists here, not including the 190,000 people who signed the petition to [Florida Gov.] Jeb Bush years ago. Never at any time did Mr. Schindler ask me to sell those names. I don't believe he fully understood the terms of this deal."

Hennessy said it was "never [Schindler's] intent to accept money -- I don't believe that at all. These carpetbaggers are coming in at the eleventh hour and taking advantage of this girl and it makes me sick. These people are only present when the camera is out."

But the Times quotes Gary McCullough, a spokesman for the Schindlers, as saying he was present when Bob Schindler agreed to the arrangement in a conversation with the co-founder of RightMarch.com, a conservative online marketing organization, who acted as a broker for Response Unlimited.

"So the Schindlers do know the details," the Times quotes McCullough as saying, but how much attention they paid to the matter is hard to assess.

"The Schindlers right now know that their daughter is starving to death, and if I ask about anything else, they say, 'I don't want to hear about it.'"

Obviously, this could be being spun to make them look better. But it's basically indisuputable than the Schindlers aren't getting money out of this - it was the price they paid to raise money for the legal defense fund.

So hop off your high horse and do a little research before calling someone "greedy, hypocritical expletiveholes."

quote:
How much you wanna bet that all the conservative demagogues who called Michael Shiavo a murderer will ignore this?
How much you wanna bet all that all the liberal demogogues who wanted Schiavo to starve to death will milk this and make accusations unfounded by the evidence? See, not a very productive way to put things, is it?

Dagonee

[ April 11, 2005, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. How about that.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I don't think that changes my opinion of selling names of supporters, or of the company who would buy the names, and then spam them.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I agree. But it should make you reconsider the Schindlers being greedy, since they aren't getting any money from it and likely didn't fully appreciate what they were signing at the time.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but I never said they were greedy. You'll have to take that up with someone else.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Big Grin]
1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know why anyone argues about this stuff....no one knows the truth, no on knows what is really going on...every side - "conservative", "liberal" they all spin things to suit their ends...none of this is actually about what went or is going on....
Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.