FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer help please (DVD-RW drive)

Author Topic: Computer help please (DVD-RW drive)
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a TDK CD-R/W drive for several years, and I just got a Sony DVD/CD-R drive a couple months ago. So it was working fine until a couple days ago, when I was watching a DVD on the new drive. I guess it hit a scratch and it froze the whole thing up. I waited a while for it to read it, but nothing happened and it wouldn't eject, so I shut the whole thing down with the task manager and ejected the disc.

Ever since then this drive has been absolutely terrible. It can barely read anything, and when it writes, the buffer keeps fluctuating from 0%-100%, and it takes about 7 minutes to burn a CD at full speed (supposedly 40x). I ran some diagnostics on it, and on my old still-functional TDK drive for comparison. Here's how they came out.

Sony burn profile
TDK burn profile
full Sony test results
full TDK test results

For the record, I've got 500 mb ram and a nearly 2ghz processor, and I'm running Windows 2000. Also, I have run AVG for viruses and Ad-Aware and Spybot. I've also shut down the computer, unplugged it, and even removed and re-installed the drive to see if it would reset anything. So far nothing has worked.

Any ideas what's going on? Thanks for the help.

[ April 11, 2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

And did you check the Sony website for the most current driver release for your OS?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Haven't messed with the drivers. I'll try that. Feels like a physical problem, but then I'm not very smart, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. [Smile]

[ April 11, 2005, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Wow, TMedina. You are, according to the best available evidence, the man. I don't know why a scratched DVD suddenly made my drive want some new drivers, but apparently that's what happened. Seems to be working fine now. Muchas gracias. [Hail] [Big Grin]
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to guess, stopping the program in mid-stride upset the software controlling the hardware, in this case the drivers.

Just a layman's guess though.

I'm glad it worked for you. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rav
Member # 7595

- posted      Profile for rav           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet what happend was it couldn't read it. It turned off UDMA, and reinstalling the drivers reset UDMA.

You might be able to look in your logs: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.

I found a couple example errors for you.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.