FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh! Well I never! Was there ever...

Author Topic: Oh! Well I never! Was there ever...
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
...a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffelees!

I got to go see Cats this weekend, and I have to say, I love Mr. Quaxo Mistoffelees, shortly followed by Munkustrap.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Cats twice (London and New York! [Big Grin] ) and it remains one of my favourite musicals [Smile] . My favourite cat is the train cat, whose name escapes me at the moment.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Cats in New York when I was in high school, but for some reason the musical as a genre just never did it for me.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I now know what song will be in my head for the next 12 hours.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Skimbleshanks the railway cat, the cat of the railway train!

I've seen Cats twice as well, and really enjoyed it both times. The first time was when I was 8 and my sister was 6. We were in the fourth row and my sister had an aisle seat, and in the first song when all the cats come onstage through the audience Mr Mistoffeles came right past us and gave her a kiss! She was in raptures all night after that (Mr Mistoffeles was her favourite too). Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats was one of my favourite books as a child - I knew most of the poems by heart before I'd even heard of the musical.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
I saw Cats in New York when I was in high school, but for some reason the musical as a genre just never did it for me.
No?

They should make Firefly: The Musical.

[Evil]

EDIT: Of course, Amira! Skimbleshanks! I could sing the song but I couldn't remember the cat. I also knew the poems before I saw the musical.

[ April 11, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Angst]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Evil Laugh]
twinky
Member # 693

*runs away*
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They should make Firefly: The Musical.
I wonder how well Firefly would translate into the musical format. I have no doubt that if Josh Whedon were still making Firefly episodes there would eventually be a musical episode just like there was one in Buffy. Did he ever do one in Angel?
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I can't actually imagine how it would work without being insanely cheesy, so I think we're safe for the time being. Although the song "Jayne" was quite catchy...

Potential songs:
Jayne sings about Veera.
Kaylee cheers everyone up with an optimistic melody.
Inara and Mal sing an angsty love song out of sight and sound of one another.
River sings about the confusion of being unhinged.
Simon sings about being torn away from being a doctor in a hospital.

... or not.

But they did make Buffy the Musical so really no one's safe where Joss Whedon is concerned.

[ April 11, 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually went to see it knowing pretty much nothing about it. Somebody at school mentioned that it was about T.S. Elliot's poems about cats...and I hadn't read any of them. But it's a musical and it's Andrew Lloyd Webber, so I thought it'd be worth going to see...and it most definately was. Although, now I have to go buy that book of poems.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did he ever do one in Angel?
No, but they did a great episode with puppets.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

That muppet episode of Angel can almost rival the musical episode of Buffy, IMO
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
The puppet episode of Angel was absolutely wonderful. LOVED it. I laughed and laughed at it, and it stayed on my tivo for nearly a year, I enjoyed it so much. I was never a Buffy fan, so I never saw the Buffy musical episode.

"I do not have puppet cancer!"

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.