FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling all grammar nazis: Is it "master's degree" or something else?

Author Topic: Calling all grammar nazis: Is it "master's degree" or something else?
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
When talking about degrees, is it bachelor's and master's degrees, or bachelors and masters?

I lean toward the first, but I'm not positive, and sources conflict. So, I came to the most comprehensive of all sources: Hatrack. [Big Grin]

[ April 11, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
put something about "grammar nazis" in the title and you'll get more bites. [Smile]

I really don't know for sure, but I'd also lean toward the first.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I also lean towards the first, because you get degreed as a "Bachelor of Science" or a "Master of Fine Arts". I'm curious to know the official answer, though. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look at my degree after work. [Smile]

Edit: Oh, wait, because of the phrasing my degree wouldn't show it that way.

[ April 11, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to that - I think its listed as "Bachelors" on my resume.

Fortunately, not of English, so I feel safe. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I use "Bachelor's" and "Master's" in informal writing, but on, say a resume, I have no clue how it would go.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
My resume says B.S.E. and M.S.E. for brevity's sake.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
On my resume I write it out formally, so it's moot.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
Everything I'm seeing has apostrophes--Wiki and www.dictionary.com.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Ok, thanks, y'all. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The Chicago Manual of Style says to use apostrophes. And be sure to lowercase them (of course, you already have). Lots of people seem to think that degrees should be capitalized.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

In the context of writing, I know they're not supposed to be capitalized. In the context of a resume or CV, though, shouldn't they be?

As in:

Megan

Education:
Master of Music in Music Theory

KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the AP Stylebook (the self-proclaimed "Journalist's Bible"), it's bachelor's and master's degrees. And yes, in a resume, capitalize. In text, it would be "John Doe, who has a bachelor's degree in underwater basket-weaving."
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks good to me!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Ok, thanks again! You all completely rule.

[Cool]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
In the context of writing, I know they're not supposed to be capitalized. In the context of a resume or CV, though, shouldn't they be?
I don't know if there are any real rules or guidelines about that, but it looks fine to me.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, my bachelor's degree is in French, so I can be snobby and evasive at the same time by calling it a bachelier.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Sad sad sad sad that folks allow functional illiterates to define grammar.
JohnLennon interview
MarthaStewart home decorations
TigerWoods sportswear worn at the Masters tournament
Masters degree

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

This from a guy who doesn't know when to put spaces between words.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.