FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The gerbil chronicles

Author Topic: The gerbil chronicles
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Cayla (my 9-year-old daughter) has been wanting a pet of her own for some time. We decided to look into hamsters and gerbils because my niece Jessica has a hamster. I was advised to go with gerbils because hamsters are nocturnal. A co-worker has gerbils and said that they need to have a companion or they will get sick and die.

So, we decided that Cayla could have 2 gerbils - of the same gender, so they won't breed. Gerbils can breed about every 24 days. (Eek!)

Another co-worker, Andrea, who spends her days off in Iowa City and belongs to the Iowa City Freecycle group (which allows listings for pets), said someone on the Iowa City Freecycle needed to find a home for four gerbils. I said we could take them, thinking how much harder could it be? Yeah, great thinking.

Andrea called tonight. She's bringing the gerbils to me tomorrow (well, today, since it's after midnight now). She was uncomfortable calling me but had to let me know. The former owner had told her that the gerbils were all boys. They aren't. The proof is in the babies. So, we'll be getting four adult and two baby gerbils, if the mother doesn't eat the babies because she's stressed out or she doesn't chew a hole through the box that Andrea has her and the babies in. I didn't think to ask Andrea what kind of box - if it's cardboard, we may be in trouble ...

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Good luck!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it didn't occur to me until hours after the phone call to wonder what kind of box Andrea is using. And what room the gerbils are in - I think her bf has cats. Double [Eek!]

Well, I've warned Cayla that the momma may eat the babies out of stress of moving and so on. I'm going to be taking a very close look at all the gerbils to find out exactly what the gender alignments are.

And, this may not be the end of babies. Andrea said she thought the momma was being pursued with mating in mind. They can get pregnant immediately after giving birth. So, we may have another "blessed event" in about 3 weeks. [Angst]

More cages are in order. I am planning to get another cage with wire sides and put them side by side so the gerbils can be close without being close, so to speak.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.