FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A couple Top 40 observations

Author Topic: A couple Top 40 observations
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't own a stereo. The only time I listen to music is when I'm cleaning (cd in the dvd player) or in my car (also cds). I started a new job in February. There are four of us in this part of the office, and the agreed-upon radio station we listen to all day every day is the local Top 40 station. I'm completely fine with this. I like the morning show, the retro lunch and 90% of the rest of the playlist, even if it's way too short. However, there are those few songs that remind me why I don't often listen to the radio voluntarily.

Kelly Clarkson "Since U Been Gone" -- I like Kelly. I'm not officially a fan, but I like her, and her stuff's not bad. My problem is that the first time I heard this song, I thought it was Avril Lavigne. I am an Avril fan. I have both of her cds. I knew it wasn't her. Oddly enough, Kelly has worked with Avril (Avril helped write "Breakaway"), but it drives me nuts how much she sounds like her on that song.

Green Day "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" -- I love Green Day. I love this song and the cd. I just wish the station would play more than just this song and "Good Riddance" before I get sick of them.

Missy Elliot "1 2 Step" -- I know this is really by Ciara, but my "observation" concerns Missy's contribution. "I shake it like jello, make the boys say hello, cuz they know I'm rockin' the beat." It's not the lyrics--I don't even want to go there. It's the delivery. Does this part of the song remind anyone else of the "rap" at the end of Revenge of the Nerds?

I will say one thing about the radio. My life wouldn't be complete if I didn't get to hear Gwen Stefani's "Rich Girl" at least four times a day. Now that is a brilliant piece of work.

Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I listen to the radio is in the car, and that is almost always NPR.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the geek on the road who looks like a muted American Idol audition. NPR has too much talking. [Smile]
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
It's mostly NPR for me, or books on tape when I have to do my long drive twice a week, but every once in a while I patronize clear channel so I can dance around in the car.

The only problem is, the pop music isn't just pathetic, it's not even fun anymore. And they've set a new standard of stupidity.

I heard one the other afternoon that the DJ introduced as a brand-new single. He made a point of mentioning that we should listen closely to the lyrics, because there was "a lot of innuendo" in this song. Because, you know, it's always good to point out innuendo, in case someone doesn't get it. The song was by Usher, and it went something like this:
quote:
Ooh, I love the way you dirty type
I can take you home on escape
Ooh, I need your backspace in my life
Thank God you don't have a flat screen

...and it only gets worse from there.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to the radio, the only stations I check regularly and have the habit of staying on are oldies, classic rock, and NPR. I'll check other stations--I have twelve presets on my car radio--but there aren't many I can stay on for more than a song or two without their playing a song I hate.

This is not to say that oldies and classic rock are the only kinds of music I like. Not by a long shot. It's just that the really good stuff never gets played on the radio, outside those stations (and even those stations don't have playlists nearly as extensive as I would like), and a hell of a lot of awful stuff gets played all the time.

One thing this world does not lack is a wide variety of fantastic music. What it does lack is a variety of fantastic music on the radio.

(Edit: Holy crap, I have over nine hundred posts now. How did that happen? I don't remember writing nine hundred of these!)

[ April 14, 2005, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I listen to Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, This American Life, and if I happen to be around a radio when they're on, Fresh Air and Talk of the Nation. Justice Talking is interesting, but I'm rarely around a radio when it's on. Other than that I don't listen to the radio at all. I've recently started listening to books on CD while I drive or do dishes or cook, and I play music CDs a lot, but almost none of my music comes from the radio.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I only listen to The Current.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I was driving through rural Montana, listening to AfroPop Worldwide. It was awesome.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
AfroPop Worldwide is a good show. So is Cyprus Avenue, although if you don't like the artist or genre being profiled that day it isn't much fun.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.