FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Weird Food Combinations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Weird Food Combinations
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so today I decided to try a grilled tuna and cheese becuase I was hungry and thats what we had. Tuna... butter... bread... and cheese. And not much else. Needless to say I won't be making it again.

What other weird food combinations have people tried when bored, or when hungry and not much was around to be eaten? And how were they?

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
a Mash potato and salsibury steak sandwhich, because they gave us those darn rolls for some reason at school
It's really quite good.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Woah! I'm impressed, the rolls we get are tiny... we'd never be able to fit one of our steaks into em. But that does sound... suprisingly good. [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they have tiny steaks, too?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(I like grilled tuna and cheese. And tuna melts. Especially with ketchup.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I love tuna melts!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate chips and unsweetened applesauce... remarkably good.

And I butter my steak.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, heart attack.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I also butter my steak, when I am feeling decadent. In fact, it is sort of the rage in gourmet restaurants these days-flavored butters on meat and poultry.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I love sardines on toast, but I'm not sure if that's "weird" or not.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It is. Sardines qualify as "weird" all on their own.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I used to love sardines when we went backpacking. We would have them on Triscuits. I also love smoked oysters.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Plaid had Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans at BobNDana Con, and I got a sardine one. It was SO disgusting.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked cold canned chili on saltines when camping. Or not.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Even my two year old spits out sardine Bertie Botts. I won't try them.

One very weird thing my kids like is peanut butter and tortilla chips. I like to scoop up chocolate ice cream with Kettle Chips.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My father, grandfather and I all would cut plain cake donuts in half and put peanut butter and jelly on them, like a sandwich.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like saltines dipped in chocolate pudding. mmmmm
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
My father used to make what we always called Conglomeration.

He would go down to the store and buy chunk bologna (not sliced) and a good piece of swiss cheese (again, not sliced). Then he'd cut cubes of both into a bowl and top them with a dressing made of oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Then he'd toss the whole thing like a salad and eat. Actually, its pretty good, especially the swiss cheese soaked in the dressing.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan
Member # 7830

- posted      Profile for Stan   Email Stan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hunting season was full of a variety of foods. So far we have made up to 20 different types of chili, even one that includes cactus (without needles). Kippered snacks, sardines (in whatever sauces we can get), oysters or clams, crackers with keilbasa and cheese (not really all that strange), and beer.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plaid had Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans at BobNDana Con, and I got a sardine one. It was SO disgusting.
I agree. The sardine one is the worst, followed by vomit. However, I'm strange because I find the ear wax and soap ones rather tasty.

Sometimes when I'm home and can't find anything good to eat, I try to create a sandwich of sorts from any of the random bread, meat, and cheese products that I can find. Some of those have been not very tasty, like trail bologna and cheese on a tortilla.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm somewhat of an amature bodybuilder, and I follow a very strict and healthy diet. One of my favorite bedtime snacks is a big bowl of cottage chese mixed with peanut butter. Sounds gross, but its tasty as heck.
Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
warm rice with peas and guacamole

Try it!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

" I like to scoop up chocolate ice cream with Kettle Chips."

DPR, My dad has crumbled potato chips on his ice cream ever since I was a babe.

A new Ben and Jerry's flavor! Chocolate Potato Chip.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Lox and Brie. Way better than lox and cream cheese.

My sister likes peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. (bread and butter pickles)

My wife and kids eat peanut butter in their breakfast cereal.

I like ketchup on my potato chips.

I know I've got other weird combinations, but I can't think of any right now.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh here's one that freaked out my british friends:

Mushy peas and pork lo-mein. (But first you have to know what mushy peas are)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago a friend of me called me up in the dead-middle of the night, bored out of her mind. I said, "let's do something", and so we went out looking for adventure of some sort.

We wound up at a diner at 4 in the morning. I ordered a milkshake. I can't remember what she got, but somewhere along the line, she asked me if I had ever had milkshake with ketchup before. Grossed out beyond belief, I answered an emphatic no. She said that if I had never tried it before, how could I know it wasn't good. So I asked her if she had tried it. She said no, and I told her, "Well, than, why don't you try some."

She had a spoonful of my milkshake with some ketchup on it.

She'll never be drinking that combination again.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
A grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It's really tasty because the peanut butter melts and the jelly kinda cooks into a solid form.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, braunschweiger and cake donut sandwiches. Slice the cake donut through the middle, add a bit of butter or mayo, add a nice thick slice of braunschweiger and put the other donut slice on top. I remember these from when I was very young, but I don't know exactly who came up with the idea.

Also, I like peanut butter on vanilla ice cream. Thin the peanut butter with a little Karo syrup and use as ice cream topping.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that, but instead of Karo syrup I just put it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt it. Soooo good!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

SM--those are SO GOOD. mmmm.

Ketchup in scrambled eggs anyone?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Chocolate pudding with potato chips. Mmmmm.

And I can't remember the last time I ate scrambled-- or any other-- eggs without ketchup.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I love lemons and lemon juice. I will eat a lemon with tortilla chips and salt. I will put lemon juice in a cup and let tortilla chips soak. Sometimes if I'm out of tortilla chips, I'll use bread. I have to take a small amount of bread and just dip it because it will fall apart.

My kids love the lemons and lemon juice with tortilla chips, too.

I sometimes put lemon juice on my mashed potatoes.

Now I'm hungry. [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I know people who eat ketchup and scrambled eggs together... although I think it's disgusting!
[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Come to think of it, mushy peas are a pretty weird combination on their own: Peas and baking soda, served with vinegar.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

CaySedai, our neighbors had a Meyers lemon tree growing up, and we ate those things like candy. Are you a fan?
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
sm, your jelly gets solid? Mine melts and dribbles out all over. I'm always picking up melted peanut butter and jelly with the rest of my sandwich. So messy, but so good!

I also like to put ham in my grilled cheese, but that's not really strange.

My dad puts baby gerkin pickles in his.

Dan says I don't have a single weird food combination - I have weird food seperations. I prefer my hot dogs and my french fries plain, not toppings. I really dislike anything pickled - pickles, ketchup (tolerable on burgers and sometimes brats), olives, herring, whatever - I don't want anything to do with them. He thinks that's ood.

Oh, did any of you used to refuse to put sauce on your pasta? I would only eat it with butter and garlic salt. Mmmm.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oreo cookies with a bottle of Killian's Red.

Nummy.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst taste combination ever (at least in my own limited experience):

Mayonaisse and Guinness.

This happened when I foolishly ordered a Guinness with a crab salad sandwich while in Ireland.

Blegh.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Circus Peanut dipped in Pistachio Pudding Pretty good, actually.

A few of my bachelor-recipes:

When out of hotdog buns, a tortilla with a layer of melted cheese inside wrapped around a polish sausage. Very good. (Tip: when living with DKW, use her fancy mustards on your polishes and hotdogs.)

Even I don't know what I was thinking when I made this one: Ramen noodles (strained), Crisp bacon (crushed), Slightly under-ripe pear (diced). Mix all ingredients together. Eat with fork. Excellent.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
I also like to put ham in my grilled cheese, but that's not really strange.
I eat grilled ham and cheeses and grilled turkey and cheeses all the time. They're really good [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I was trying to remember a recent gag-me foof combination, and it just came to me.
Someone had onion dip and guacamole and chip[s at a party. I had guacamole on a tortilla, followed immediately by onion dip on a potato chip.

It does not seem like it would be so bad, but oh my heavens, it was horrid!

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Phew. This is not a thread for the faint of stomach early in the morning.

*wishes we had a nauseous or vomiting smiley*

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Marmite and chocolate spread on two different slices of bread slapped together to make a sandwich. Much nicer than peanut butter and jelly.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to dip potato chips (preferably all-dressed) in chocolate pudding as well. French fries in chocolate pudding works well too.

Mashed sweet potatoes between bread with margarine is really good.

Some friends and I once made a pizza with key lime yogourt, chocolate pudding, chocolate chips, tomato sauce, and some other things I forget. We realized we had forgotten to buy cheese of all things so we left it on the counter while we went to the store again. When we got back, my dog had grabbed it and eaten most of it. Since she had never ever before jumped onto the counter to get anything, we could only assume it must have simply been *so* good that she couldn't resist. We also decided to just accept her verdict and not make another for ourselves. But I've always wondered...

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I know it sounds nasty, but dipping pizza in a chocolate milk shake is quite tasty.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I can't be the only one who goes to Wendy's and dips my fries in my frosty. Yum!

Steve, I've never dipped my pizza in my chocolate milk, but I have noticed that chocolate milk is the perfect beverage to drink with pizza. And tacos.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Why, why, why do I keep coming into this thread?

I only regret it every time.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Banana's and Cheese.

or

Chocolate and Cheese.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

Grapes and cheese!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

To be properly enjoyed, cheesecake must be eaten with either ketchup or Cran-Grape juice. *runs*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.