FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Positive Thoughts for my Father--Updated (bad news, good news, better news) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Positive Thoughts for my Father--Updated (bad news, good news, better news)
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just talking to my parents on the phone, and in the middle of the conversation my dad announced very abruptly that he "felt like crap" and had to go. My mom was as puzzled by this as I was, and said that earlier in the day he'd been complaining that his stomach hurt, but that it hadn't been *that* bad. Anyway, about five minutes later he told her he needed to go to the emergency room. No idea what the problem is at this point. She'll be calling me from the emergency room to let me know what's going on, but in the meantime positive thoughts/vibes/prayers wouldn't be out of order.

[ April 23, 2005, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*prays*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I will think positive thoughts for your dad and your family.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Noemon and family)))
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
It's scary when your parents are sick. [Group Hug]

[ April 17, 2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
~Noemon and Father~
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Positive thoughts for you and yours.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The best wishes I can summon...

(((Noemon)))

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good vibes, thoughts, and prayers going out.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
ditto rivka

(((Noemon)))

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've talked to my mom. She doesn't know anything yet, but I can tell that she doesn't think anything is seriously the matter, which is definitely an encouraging sign. I'll post as I learn more about what's going on.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sounds good so far. [Smile] Hope the news continues to be good.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~Noemon's father~~~~
~~~~Noemon~~~~

There are some Hatrackers you just don't think of as having parents, kind of like they were Anakin Skywalker or Peter Parker.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts are with you and him, Noemon. I am glad he got it checked out.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
My good thoughts tonight are all yours, Noemon.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Looks like it's some kind of problem with his gallbladder. I'll know more tomorrow.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Gall bladder not fun but also not as bad as it could have been. {{{Noemon and parental units}}}
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Good wishes for the dad. ((((Noemon's dad))))
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and well-wishes for you and yours, Noemon.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course...sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

((((((Noemon and family)))))) I hope he gets better really fast...

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Think positive, dude! [Group Hug]
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Praying for you and your father.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] ((Noemon))
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon -- how are you doing? I've been thinking about you.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, I'm doing okay. I was more worried before I heard that it was a gall bladder problem really. I'm waiting to hear more news this morning.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Apparently he's got a combination of gall bladder stones and a fairly severe infection. They're going to go in arthroscopically and remove his gall bladder later this afternoon.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of infection? From his gall bladder? I've recently been told I have gall stones and one of my doctors even suggested I should have it out, but most of what I've found contradicts that advice. But, now you've got me curious as to what could happen if I just wait and something does happen.

Of course, if the infection is unrelated to his gall bladder, then nevermind.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The infection is actually in his gall bladder, unless I'm misunderstanding something (which is entirely possible--I'm getting all of my information second hand through my mother). From what little reading I've had time to do this morning it seems to me that removing the thing is a bit of an extreme reaction, but the details I have are sketchy enough that I'm not really in a position to say.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~~Jake and family~~~~~
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
When the gall bladder really starts going bad (as mine did) it starts messing with your white blood cell counts and a few other things in your liver. I'm guessing that's where the infection came in. I had to stay on antibiotics for a while too after it came out. My bloodwork was so off when I went in, that they wouldn't let me leave the hospital. Most of the time, if it hasn't gotten to that stage, they will let you go home on painkiller and schedule you as a more routine surgery.

The pain for me, felt as if someone was stabbing me with a knife in my chest. It radiated all the way through to my back, not uncommon apparently for gall bladder problems.

The good thing is that gall bladder stuff is pretty easily fixed, and removing it is one of the most common surgical procedures in the US. He'll proably have occasional acid reflux afterwards, but nothing really serious.

AJ

[ April 18, 2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks Banna, that's good to know.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~safe, successful surgery...quick recovery~~~~
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Interesting also. Gallbladders, appear to be considered by doctors as one of the more painful things in existence. I was quite surprised that they put me on a straight morphine drip for the pain. I didn't think my pain was *that* bad, it only had me curled up in a fetal position a couple of times.

They put me on something different after the surgery. Whatever the other stuff was, I could feel it burn going up the blood vessel from the IV in my arm and it got worse as time went on, so I weaned myself off of it pretty fast. They gave me one of those little button things, where I could push it if I was in too much pain but the computer won't let you over medicate.

After that I was on vicadin for a while, but I was off of that pretty quick too because I don't like what it does to my brain.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh yes, and to my understanding, if things have gotten so bad as to mess up your blood work, pretty much the thing *has* to come out, it isn't an over reaction at all. The doc said I was within 24 hours of a "major crisis". He didn't go into detail as to what would have happened with the crisis, but he said it in a somber enough tone it sounded quite scary.

Has your father been having heartburn problems and taking lots of antacids? I was convinced that my attacks were just heartburn and stress, before the last attack that put me in the hospital.

AJ

[ April 18, 2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

He hasn't mentioned having heartburn to me, but it's entirely possible that it didn't seem interesting enough for him to mention. I'll ask him about it when I talk to him tonight.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

yeah heartburn seems pretty insignificant... I thought it was too [Wink]

AJ

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]

Good thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope everything works out okay.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
~~~jake's dad~~~
Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks guys. The surgeon successfully removed his gall bladder, and apparently it was horribly, horrbily infected. They're keeping him in the hospital another day or two to monitor him and help get him on the road to being completely purged of the infection, but he's going to be fine.

::whew::

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Cool]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yay for getting rid of the infected bits!

May his recovery be rapid and complete. [Smile]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
happy [Party] for Noemon's dad's recovery.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I had kidney stones this Halloween, and I was on morphine too....not a fun thing, let me tell you.

I am glad to hear he is OK, and I hope all continue to go well.

[ April 19, 2005, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad he's doing well. Hope he continues to do so. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Jake & family)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Kwea, I remember that you had them. They aren't much fun, are they?

AJ, what have you found the consequences of not having a gall bladder to be?

I appreciate all the well wishes, everybody.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Good deal.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.