FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for All Hatrack Soccer Players

Author Topic: Question for All Hatrack Soccer Players
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I've really gotten into the idea of playing soccer--it's a cool sport, and I could use something to get me to exercise a little more. But, my question is this: How do I get started? I haven't been playing this since I was three, I'd most likely get slaughtered on any sort of team.

So, does anyon have some advice on how to get started? Basics, ways to find people to play with, anything?

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Newly-turned 18. ...And I have not a shred of soccer experience. For that, you'd have to go to my cousins. I just think it's fun, and would like to play.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Human,
How old are you?
Where do you live?

First thing is to make sure you are in fairly decent shape, so you don't get injured. Soccer is hard on the joints, and it is a lot of running. So, go running for a week or so.

Juggle the ball. Do you know what that is? Try to keep it in the air, like hackey sack. In fact, hackey sack is a great way to practice.

Get a ball and just dribble around stuff. Make an obstacle course in your yard or in the park. Pretend there is someone in front of you, and go around them.

Look for pick-up leagues. Look for rec leagues. There are more and more of these cropping up as soccer becomes more of an "in" sport.

Have fun! Greatest game, after ice hockey, in the world!

[ April 18, 2005, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know anybody who plays? At work we have a group of people who get together regularly to play soccer at the park. They range in experience from begginers to having played in college. If your city has a park district you might check to see if they have any kind of soccer league that you might be able to join. Ususally park districts which have such things will have leagues for those just getting into it as well as those who are experienced. I saw that you posted your age as 18. I don't know if you plan to go to college, but you may look into an intramural league at college if you go.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Elizabeth and DaivdR. Get in shape. Hang out with your cousins, ask them.

If you truly hate talking to real people to find a friendly game, head over to www.bigsoccer.com and ask in the Soccer in the US forum for pick-up games/rec leagues in your area.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
See if there are any American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) teams in your area. If you're out of high school, you won't be able to play, but one of the high school teams might let you practice ands scrimmage with them for experience. AYSO is laid-back and exists for the purpose of letting kids have fun and improve their skills rather than winning.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Soccer is my favourite sport. I've played ever since I was 3 (now I am 15).
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.