FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adventures in college registration

Author Topic: Adventures in college registration
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]

Okay, a long time ago when I was 18 I started college and completed my freshman year doing very well. Good grades, took English, math, science, two social sciences and got them out of the way. Only, at that college you could test out of English 101. So I did, and enrolled in 102.

Well, fast forward more about 15 years, and I'm registering again as a transfer student at a junior college. Find out I've got to take another composition class, because they don't recognize the fact that I tested out of it before. Whatever, fine, I'll take English composition again. They hadn't figured out what to give me credit for yet, though so I couldn't register for it last term.

Now, I want to take it so when I transfer from the junior college to the four year college in the fall, I'm done with all my composition requirements. *sigh*

Try to register for it this term, and they tell me I need 101 - they gave me credit for 102. But, when I try to register they are now saying I can't register for 101 without taking a placement test. WTF? According to the catalog, you only need a placement test if you're transferring less than 20 hours. I transferred 29. Plus, I've taken 9 hours in the spring semester. Not to mention I've already got credit for 102.

But it wouldn't take my registration. Yet, they let me register for English literature, which is supposed to have composition as a pre-requisite. [Confused]

I guess it's no big deal, I need the literature credit too, it's just weird. So, now, I'm gun-shy, scared of what the four year university is going to do with my composition credits, so I decided to wait and take it there.

What fun.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If you end up having to take a composition class, I know you'll fly through it. Yet I hope they take your credits so you can take the more advanced classes you're ready for.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Campus registration computer systems are an exercise in frustration - I think someone in the administration thinks the college experience is too tame, so they needlessly complicate the online registration process in such a haphazard form that students can't help get tangled up like a fish in the net.

Good luck. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What Trevor said. I think they make them needlessly complicated so you have to have a certain level of intelligence to actually register for courses.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime this happens I remember what my husband told me when I started back to school. He said a college degree isn't all about the coursework - it's also a piece of paper that proves you can put up with a certain level of bureaucracy and frustration and still make it through. I guess this is all part of the process.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
You did email your advisor/department/dean's office, right?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He said a college degree isn't all about the coursework - it's also a piece of paper that proves you can put up with a certain level of bureaucracy and frustration and still make it through.
I get the same feeling about property deeds. There is a little bit of truth and falsity in both cases.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
You know why they call one of the four-year degrees a BS, don't you? Because that's what college really does - it raises the level of your BS skills.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rav
Member # 7595

- posted      Profile for rav           Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, I did really well on the English part of the placement tests. Yet when it came to Math, I did only O. K.

I also learned that if I were to test out of the computer classes at my local community college, I would have to retake the test, or take the class again. Where as if I were to take the class, and get an A in it I wouldn't have to worry about it. Apparently testing out only provides with a P grade, and most higher colleges want actual A-D grades.

I just recently registered, and I brought my registration materials with me to work so I could look over them again.

Good Luck with that. I hope to have given some insight, on their reasoning behind not accepting things.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain, Belle. After three trips to the campus, I finally got signed up for my summer course. Now I get to go back to find out why my fall option doesn't show up.

Good luck with comp. Think of it this way, you can always use an extra A on your transcript, right?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.