FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Abstract art!!! GARGH!

Author Topic: Abstract art!!! GARGH!
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay my brother draws a fish saying "hi" in a speech bubble. this is from I see now abstract art. Where is his 2-3 million dollars for it!? Heck, lemme draw you a cirlce with a dot, NOW THERES ABSTRACT ART[/sarcasm]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
A fish saying "hi" in a bubble isn't abstract, is it?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

But wait the fish could be expressing his deepest and utmost fears by saying hi as symbolism for his inner most soul and blah I... cant.. keep... writing.... laughing... too hard... [ROFL]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know/care anything about the subject, or are you just ranting for the fun of it? If you just have some extra aggression you need to work out, may I suggest intense physical exercise instead of spewing uninformed opinions on the internet?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I was having a conversation with some friends on the topic and I felt like sharing, but if you feel offended I will delete my post on the topic.

[ April 19, 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Sid Meier ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I doubt anyone's offended. But you clearly don't know what "abstract art" is, and you haven't actually made any commentary on the subject. If you're interested in discussing it, then discuss it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

EDIT:: DOUBLE POST

[ April 19, 2005, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Sid Meier ]

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Abstract art of what my friends and I've seen is stuff like a canvas of only black paint or a tic tac toe board. Though there are some which are midly amusing, like the melted stuff and scuptures but some of the stuff I've seen is IMHO garbage.

A steel ball with tv antenas is stragnly nosgalgic for some reason. Like I have no doubt that there are HONEST abrast artists who painted what the felt was a work of art but c'mon some stuff I've seen makes me think what these people were thinking and if they're rying to conn us.

So I'll correct myself and apologize SOME Abstract art is garbage and some I actually like because it reminds me of EarthBound.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm certainly not offended. But I also don't see any indication that you know what you're talking about. If you want to have a serious discussion about abstract art, it would probably be helpful to do some research, put forth some ideas of your own, and ask for other's ideas or ask specific questions.

I don't want to seem like a wet blanket all over you, with this and my suggesting you use spellcheck in your Problems with Canada thread. But I do want you to understand that there are people on this board who are very knowledgeable about a wide range of subjects, and you can have a lot of really interesting discussions and learn a lot if you want to. In order to do that, you have to start out with an informed opinion and an open mind.

Added: I started this before I saw your most recent post, in case that wasn't obvious. [Smile]

[ April 19, 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The opinion doesn't even need to be all that informed. [Wink]

Edit:

<---- has plenty of uninformed opinions [Razz]

[ April 19, 2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Not another one *groans*, darn I'm going to actually have to spell check it then I geuss. Once I'm out of my lab.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

twinky, you make me feel assured at nights.
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Razz]

True. But if you recognize it as uninformed, then the open mind part is even more important.

twinky
Member # 693

Yes.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
*melodramatic sigh*

Edit: I accused you of using a word you didn't actually use.

But the sigh remains.

[ April 19, 2005, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Susie Derkins ]

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. Is a fish talking cubism, neoplasticism, or expressionism?

Anyway, reading Sid's posts has inspired this little picture of my own.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did you draw boobies on his arms?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
It's abstract.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

o_O
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not abstract-- it's misanthropic.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I know you're joking, Bob, but it's not abstract.

It is pretty good, though. I'd offer you 1 million dollars for it but twinky's making me buy a hybrid.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

*le sigh* Artists are always misunderstood during their own time. Just wait until we're all dead, *then* I'll show you.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

1.5 mil! Going once, going twice...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.