FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Miss the Way You Used to Be - Now a True Memorial - All Over

Author Topic: I Miss the Way You Used to Be - Now a True Memorial - All Over
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
I am told I look like her, except for my hair. I wish I could be like her, to comfort my family and myself. I was her favourite, her only granddaughter. Now she can’t remember my name.

My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 1995. She has grown steadily worse since then. In 2001, she went into a nursing home. My grandfather couldn’t care for her any more. Recently she forgot how to swallow. She is off her medication now. We don’t know how long she has left; it could be tomorrow, it could be five months from now. But to me, the Gram I used to know, the Gram I loved, died four years ago. What I see now is a shell of her old self.

I miss the gram she used to be; the gram who read to me, comforted me, gave me sweets. Whenever I went over to her cottage, she would always have a Werthers candy out waiting for me.

I made an impromptu speech at her and my Gramps’s 50th anniversary party, and am very glad I did. She knew I loved her; I still do, with all my heart.

She was so proud of me, and all my accomplishments. When I was five, I made a nametag for myself in Arts and Crafts at a camp I went to. I gave it to her, and she hung it on a light in her cottage living room. I recently went into the cottage again, which hasn’t been used since she went to the home. It was still there, hanging from the same fixture, faded almost beyond recognition. I cried for a long time.

I sometimes think it is my fault. I don’t know how, but I feel so bad when I see my dad crying, my mom with that blank stare on her face. I wish I could make it better, but all I can do is join them in their misery.

Now all I have left of her are a few photos, some memories, and a glass bowl that she gave me. These past years have been horrible for my family and I, waiting, waiting for something to happen.

It has been just lately that I have started to cry. Cry for her; cry for the years that we should have had, that were stolen from us. Every day I wait for the call that she is gone; every day so far it has not come through. In a way, I want her to die, to end the pain she must be in; that my family is in. In another way, I want her back; my gram. In the last way, I don’t know what to do.

If I am ever diagnosed with Alzheimers, remind me to kill myself. I never want to put anyone I love through the agony of waiting, never knowing.

I dont know what else to say. I am no great writer, and this may be a badly written, confusing piece, but it helped to write it all out. Thank you, Hatrack.

[ May 15, 2005, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
5{hat was beautifully written, and a very, very valid way to feel in this sort of a situation. It's a hard thing to go through. I went through it with both my Grandmothers, one with Parkinson's, one just old age.

Know that it's not your fault. It's life, and your parents and other family members know that, too. It's not a fun part of life, but it's a part of life.

Cry when you need to, and stay strong when you can. Don't forget to live your life while your Grandmother's is fading... it's the right thing to do, and it's what she'd want you to do. There is a time to mourn, but it's not forever.

Stay strong, give your parents what support you can, but know that you can't carry their burdens for them. And lean on us when you need to, we're here.

**hugs**

[ April 19, 2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

For some reason I felt compelled to write this today. I don't know why.

But the call just came in: My grandmother died at 2:00 this afternoon.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

*hug*

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, sweetheart....

*hugs*
[Frown]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Hugs and good thoughts for you and your family [Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Des)))))
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same thing happen to me with my Grandama Brill. I am sorry for your losses...both today and earlier.

Kwea

[ April 21, 2005, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] [Group Hug]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss, Des.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*gentle bump for the morning crowd*
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

I'm sorry. I know how it feels to lose someone you really loved.

[Frown]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Des))) I'm sorry for your loss.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Des. *hugs*
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm glad you wrote that down Des. I'm so sorry for your loss. [Frown]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Des))))

I'm so sorry.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
Our thoughts are with you
-Jen, Mike and Thomas

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taelani
Member # 7562

- posted      Profile for Taelani   Email Taelani         Edit/Delete Post 
((HUGS))

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
((Des))
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Des, I am so sorry for the loss of your gram, both for her death and the years lost to Alzheimer's. My heart goes out to you. Much peace and getleness to you and your family as you grieve her loss. [Group Hug]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
((hugs))
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Dessy- (((Dessy))) [Cry] I'm sorry! Why didn't you tell me earlier? You should have! I'm sorry! [Cry] Try not to mope about it to long, moping only makes it worse.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Desdemona))))) [Frown]

Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you, ok? My e-mail and IM are in my profile... I'm so sorry, sweetie. I lost a grandmother about four years ago, as well. Now my grandfather is very ill, and it's only a matter of time. So I understand what you're going through. Much love and hugs to you and yours.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Dessy- You should let everyone at VBS know. You're loved over there too. Maybe we can do something special. I've lost all of my great-grandparents and my grandpa has had cancer three times and should die anytime soon.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Desdemona, I'm so sorry for your loss. [Group Hug]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Des))))
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
My condolances. ((Des))
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that, Des.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Well, the memorial service was yesterday. I didn't end up crying, but I was close a few times. I cried afterwards, however. I hate seeing my family like this. Alzheimers is a horrible disease.

*cries*

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Des)))

It really, really is. I'm so sorry.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

**hugs**

[Frown]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs tight*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

(((Dessy))) I'm sorry, but, as my father always says, "At least now, they aren't in pain any longer. I'd rather they have a quick, painless death than have to suffer. In any event, they're in a much better place." I don't know if that helps anything.....
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
(Des)

I lost both my grandmothers the same way ='(

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Kate))))) Even though the Gram you knew "died four years ago," it must still be hard for all of you. It's hard to lose anyone you love, and especially hard if you lose them twice. [Frown] (((((Kate)))))
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.