FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, fellow saints, how do you get hung over?

Author Topic: So, fellow saints, how do you get hung over?
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first 12 chapters of revelation last night. Owie, owie, owie.

Though I did have some really weird dreams. Really weird.

Oh, and the "why". My Jehovah's witness friend wants to get down to brass tacks on this war in heaven thing. Via the definition of "sons of God" thing. Via the fatherhood of the giants in Genesis thing. Via the angels are not spirits thing. Normally I try to focus on our common ground, but I've been "called out" [Smile]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the loser have to convert? Or is it less serious, like, say, you'll drink some Bailey's with coffee if she wins, and she'll give a pint of blood if you do?

[ April 20, 2005, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I get to drink the pint of blood if I win. [Evil Laugh] It's the consumption of blood that they view as bad, though if you feel it is wrong for people to take in blood there isn't much point in donating it. But I guess with the new blood replacement... I dunno.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the discussion is productive and positive, regardless of personal beliefs. I used to be one of those "Jedi Knight" arguers who felt that that was one of the most important part of our work, 'proving' we (more often, I) was right. Over the years, I have learned (I hope) more wisdom and respect. I still believe what I believe and that is important to know it. In fact, I have had the discussion you are about to have many times since then, in a more respectful and positive manner that ended well and with greater mutual respect. But nothing good comes from debates where both sides have drawn a line and are only interested in proving their point. I don't get the impression, from what you've said, that your discussions are like that, though, so I'm not worried.

But we'd sometimes later joke that at those kinds of visits, the angel must have gone on to the next door, 'cause I couldn't find Genesis in my Bible or think of anything to say until much later, when it all came flooding back to me.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a session of 'getting down to brass tacks' turn into anything but a pissing contest.

"Well, MY God did thus!"

"Well, MY God is bigger than your God!"

I'm terrible at that sort of thing, though. Maybe you're the type that can do it effectively. Although, what the 'it' is that you're trying to do, I'm not sure. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

We've been meeting since last February. She's a distant cousin and also half asian- though we are related through the white half. I'm actually really glad about this latest turn of really getting into the bible instead of just following the tracts.

(edit: She is the one who wants to get "it" the timing of the war in heaven settled.)

[ April 20, 2005, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't get is how you're going to definitively "settle" things. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I had three or four discussions like that in Detroit, and I always came away ashamed of myself and deeply, deeply unimpressed with them.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I developed a fairly deep respect for the Jehovah's Witnesses when I was an LDS missionary. It was mainly because I never tried to Bible-bash with them. But they were always unfailingly kind and very true to their beliefs. Even though they were our direct competition in a sense, we never treated each other as enemies, and their was plenty of common ground between us.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

Um, yeah we've had like 50 discussions like this before. The point is, what other things do mormons do that seem like a good idea at the time but result in a terrible morning?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay up posting on Hatrack and chatting until 4 in the morning when you are going to have to get up at 8:30 or so. [Angst]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

[No No] Staying up sewing matching easter dresses because all the ones at Wal-mart were skanktastic.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Discussing the nature of pure intelligence with my wife until 2 am, right after the birth of our third child, who had just gone back to sleep for the sixth time.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Staying up sewing dirndls to wear at a YSA conference because my roommate and I are such hams that we can't pass up a chance to be in a talent show.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Also - staying up cooking miniature pecan pies for the last day of institute class because I know they're Brother Heap's favorite.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Staying awake for Frontline.
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading science fiction.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Staying up too late on the computer (2-3 a.m.) when I have to get up at 6 a.m. to get the kids off to school.

Drinking too much caffeinated Dr Pepper. (bad, bad me)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not mormon, but I don't drink, so I figure I have a right to post....

Staying up until three in the morning with my roommate looking up the average lifespans in every country we can think of.

Me: We really should go to bed.
RM: Wait, just look up Zambia real fast.
Me: (after looking up Zambia) Oh, that reminds me, just let me see about Australia

and so on.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Wow, Blacwolve, that's creepy. My roommate and I used to LOVE reading the World Almanac.

"Do you know what the literacy rate is in Burkina Faso?" she would ask me excitedly. I'd guess, and then we'd read the whole entry. My favorite entry is Bhutan. Man, Bhutan is weird.

mothertree
Member # 4999

Do you ever pronounce it Butt-tan and then giggle?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Play "quarters" with soda water.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

Playing non-betting card games, especially spit. Drinking warm "pixie juice" which is a pixie stick mixed into water. I had a roommate once who would heat up orange juice when she felt ill.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I'm not mormon, and I *do* drink.. but...

World of Warcraft.

That passage in the Book of Mormon about abuse of substances like alcohol, tobacco, and strong hot drinks should include videogames, methinks...

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Do you ever pronounce it Butt-tan and then giggle?
I wouldn't put it past myself.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
When not gaming all night long (Starcraft, Homeworld, Battle for Middle-Earth) I usually get hung over from good old-fashioned alcohol from my goth club or a choir member's house.
[Smile]

[ April 21, 2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
All I need to do to get hung over is drink an entire 2 litre bottle of diet coke (with lime) the night before. After the caffene has dehydrated my system I go to bed and wake up the next morning with the worst hangover ever.

[Cry]

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
And see! That's the secret to non-hungover drinking. For every beer (or beverage of your choice) you also drink a tall glass of icewater (a little lemon helps) -
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.