FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Isn't it cool when people assume you can't understand them? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Isn't it cool when people assume you can't understand them?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenni loves it when the older lady from Japan comes in to teh store where she works...she gets to pratice!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it, though? Through him, she found out that this woman, whom they had taught but not converted, had continued to be taught by other missionaries, and was preparing to be baptized. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't it cool when people assume you can't understand them?
That is cool, but my best/worst story involves making someone think I understood when I didn't.

Right before I got engaged to marry my now wife, I pulled a mean mean joke on her.

We were sitting on the couch snuggling when she said, "I wish you spoke Japanese so you can talk to my parents."

"Oh, I can speak Japanese" the jokester in me lied.
"You CAN?"
"Yeah, didn't you know?"

*We had been dating almost a year and she knew I speak (or at least used to) Korean*

"I thought you speak Korean!!!?"
"Yeah...and Japanese. I taught myself." I was taking the joke too far. I could feel it.
"NOOOOO. I would know if you speak Japanese."
"I can't believe you didn't know. Go ahead, speak to me."

At this point she said something skeptically in Japanese. I tried to my best to repeat what she said--the grammar is similar to Korean, and I pulled it off. Her eyes grew wide with excitement. Jumping up she said, "……" wait, I don't know what she said--I don't speak Japanese!

But I did jump up with wide excited eyes and tried to repeat, with an excited but muffled voice, some of the words she said.

Her eyes beamed and she spoke more excitedly. I jumped up and down more excitedly. She was almost crying with shock and joy and was talking so fast in Japanese. I matched the enthusiasm, jumped up and down, and just spat out gibberish. She was in Heaven--for about 4 minutes. Yes, we carried on a conversation in Japanese for 4 minutes before I realized I had to tell the truth.

In middle of her bright eyes, childish grin, and grateful heart, I had to say, "It's a joke."

"Huh?"

"It's a joke. I really don't speak Japanese."

At that point, I felt like I was David Brent in the first episode of The Office, and the air was the uncomfortable audience watching me be an a**. She didn't call me a "Wanker," but the deflation in her body language was much more penetrating.

She sat stunned in silence, and for about 15 minutes she would occasionally test me to see if I was joking. She had projected Japanese into my gibberish and did not want to give up the hope so easily.

It's amazing she said yes when I proposed.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*puts head in hands* That is amazing. I'd have killed you where you stood.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have, too. With the nearest blunt object. And then made you clean up the mess.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Ron does crap like that to me, occasionally.

And he has the bruises to prove it.

*glares*

lem, you are one lucky man.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to say, that scene from The Office was the first thing that leapt to mind when I read your story lem. Ouch!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
One of our favorite games as missionaries was called "Busting Grummits." Basically, when we were on a bus or something and teenage girls were making comments about us (how cute we were/weren't, whether or not we were virgins, how stupid our nametages looked, etc.), the missionary with better language skills would casually translate their conversation to the other. Hearing us speak in a foreign language would only reinforce their belief that we spoke no Italian, and they would go on and on.

The game ended when we or they got off the bus; we would smile and say something polite in Italian. The looks we got were priceless.

Well, okay, I guess that was really more a past-time than a game. Hey, when you work sixty hours a week for no pay, you have to find ways to entertain yourself.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, lem, you tell a fine story. I'm laughing so hard I think I wet 'em. [Eek!] [ROFL] [Evil Laugh] [ROFL] [Hail]

That reminds me of something that happened to my wife. Unfortunately, this was one of the few times that it wasn't my doing... she kind of played this trick on herself.

For any of you who don't know, my wife's first language is Albanian. She speaks perfect English, and if you met her you'd likely never guess that she wasn't an American, even though she didn't come here until she was 19. But she still goes mentally into "second-language mode" when she speaks English. Also Albania doesn't have much of a domestic television industry (or at least not when she was growing up), so she picked up quite a lot of Italian, and a glancing familiarity with other European languages, from watching foreign TV.

So one time just after we got married we were flipping channels at home and a documentary on French ballooning came on. Someone was talking about an historic balloon trip in a heavy French accent. She watched it for a couple minutes, then turned to me with eyes bulging out of her head, and said, "oh my gosh!"
"What?" I asked.
"I understood that!"
"So?"
"I didn't even know I spoke French. But I understood every word that guy just said!"

I almost didn't have the heart to tell her that he was speaking English with a French accent. She's still embarrassed by that, and she'll murder me when she finds out I posted this story.

Been nice knowing you folks.

[ April 21, 2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole point of being married is having a captive audience for a quality practical joke. [Big Grin]

Anything else is icing.

Way to go Lem and Speed. Been fun knowing you both. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I didn't even know I spoke French. But I understood every word that guy just said!"
That is like a "bag of holding" with unlimited ammo! You can use that on her the rest of your life! lol [Party]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.