FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cloning (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cloning
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that would be great. Think of the women who don't have the right equipment themselves. No sticky questions of surrogate motherhood. Men could have children without even having to worry about a partner....

Then again, this might not be such a good idea. [Wink]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So I'm curious. If they did this and eventually perfected a method of IVF to artifical womb reproduction that bypassed natural reproduction entirely a la Brave New World, you would be okay with this so long as there wasn't any intentional killing of any embryos/babies?
Actually, I haven't decided yet. It's a complex question, but the absolutely insurmountable barrier would be removed.

There's a difference between what I consider worthy of being made illegal (which is where I put the creation and subsequent destruction of a human embryo) and things I think are immoral but should not be made illegal. If no humans (as I define them) are being killed, I might place the activities in the immoral but should not be illegal category, or I might consider them not immoral.

As I said, I haven't decided.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a cool book about a clone in the future.

"The House of the Scorpion" - by Nancy Farmer,

Clones are illegally made for spare parts and injected with something that makes them vegetables for their life, and their treated like livestock/filth. Except for Matt who is a clone of the worlds most powerful/insane man.
A really great read.

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend the book Where Late the Sweet Birds Sing where a plague kills of humanity's ability to sexually reproduce, and the only surviving group does so because of cloning.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look them up.

The best reference I'd seen in fiction in the past had been Nueromancer by William Gibson. See: 3Jane.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.