FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to find good deals on overseas flights?

Author Topic: How to find good deals on overseas flights?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go to Spain this summer, and I'm taking my baby brother with me. The date isn't certain - I can actually go anytime, and it just has to be when Steven isn't in school, so sometime this summer, preferably August so he (and I) have the summer to save our pennies.

Does anyone know how to find various deals on flights? The dates really are flexible, so that should be better, but I just looked some up and the average was about $950. Surely there are cheaper tickets than that. I went to Vienna four years ago and paid half that price for a ticket, and that was in August.

Does anyone have any pointers/web sites/commiserations? I want to go, but the less I spend on a plane ticket, the more I can spend on, well, food, swords, and those tacky key chains.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are taking our baby back to Japan in the end of May. She is a super-frugal person and always finds good deals. It will cost us $600 a piece and $200 for our baby.

Here are the pointers I learned from her.

1: Try to buy the ticket through a discount price from the country you are visiting. If you can find someone from Spain, they may know of good companies to buy tickets from.

2: Most ethnic restaurants have a newspaper/magazine in the entrance that is tailor-made for the customers. Usually the back of these will have coupons or deals you can look into. When my mom and brother went to England, they went to little English shop in town and got a magazine that had prices half what she found from the traditional internet sites.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Door
Member # 7854

- posted      Profile for Bill Door   Email Bill Door         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe fly into Paris and take a train? It's probably a lot cheaper to fly to Paris because there are so many more flights there.

Also, August tends to be a pretty expensive time to fly to Europe. You can get much better fares in the winter when the weather sucks [Smile]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo...good idea. My favorite restaurant here is a Spanish tapas place. Maybe they'll have an idea.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.