FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lotion?

Author Topic: Lotion?
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a good suggestion on what kind of lotion to use for dry skin? I really don't like lotions that leave you feeling sticky or slimy. I want to find a lotion that soaks in nice but also one that I donā€™t have to reapply every hour or so. Bath and Body works is nice because it smells good but it never really seems to do anything long-term for dry skin. Any suggestions? My legs would appreciate it [Big Grin]

[ April 20, 2005, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: RackhamsRazor ]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
baby oil
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard baby oil was the worst possible thing for your skin. [Dont Know]

Cream

*snicker*

Saw that in a magazine today. [Big Grin]

[ April 20, 2005, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] really?
Why do they apply it to a baby's skin then? if baby oil don't do the trick, shop around and check up on the items for sale. If not, you might wanna go to a derm.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I swear by Aveeno. Doesn't stink, not greasy, works wonderfully. For something really strong, see if you can find Aurora Naturally Warm Skin All Weather Guard with Aloe. My tub says "Used by Ann Bancroft North Pole 1986 South Pole 1993." But it's not just for cold weather... it's really, really good. I get it at the co-op, and use it sparingly 'cause it's on the pricy side. It's also probably a lot harder to find than Aveeno.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of Cetaphil moisterizing cream. It's not frilly (no scents, no color), but it works well for severely dry skin.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who has suffered long from Eczema, I've tried just about everything out there. Obviously some of the additives, such as lanolin, prove an irritant to those of us with allergic reactions to topical creams. I did finally find one cream that never caused me any allergic distress, and is exceedingly good at helping my skin heal. It has the added benefit of being almost odorless.

Nuetrogena Norwiegian Formula. It's old, but it's great.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
We use Kiss My Face Honey and Calendula cream. It's really nice, and smells great.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It has the added benefit of being almost odorless.
If you get the unscented kind, that is. It winds up being kind of greasy, but it really gets the job done.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
They have a new version of it that's a "pumpable" lotion. It's not quite as greasy as the cream.
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a better suggestion, but I think its great that this thread was posted by Razor...

[Smile]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Eucerin.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that says hand cream is going to work better than lotion. My hands just suck up lotion, but most creams work fine. I agree with ElJay about Aveeno, though. It's great. If you really like the Bath & Body Works scents, try their skin repair cream or healing hand cream.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I always suggest eucerin, I like lubriderm for myself, and also aquafor is supposed to be good.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The company that makes Eucerin makes Aquaphor, too, iirc. We always have Eucerin around because we use it on Emma's diaper rash since she has a skin reaction to anything with zinc in it.

[ April 20, 2005, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I like all the products mentioned so far. There are a couple things I will add, too.

Lotions are sometimes drying to sensitive skin. They formulate lotions with cetyl alcohol and other alcohols so that they dry or evaporate quickly. I usually recommend creams over lotions for that reason. If you find lotions are drying out your skin, try switching to a cream!

As a very general rule, creams are used predominantly, lotions are used on the face and other areas of thin, very sensitive skin, and ointments are used on thicker, rougher skin like elbows and knees. But these guidelines are not set in stone.

The workhorse of all creams is Eucerin. It is alcohol free and very thick. For that reason, it may be a bit too harsh to use on the face. But it meets the qualifications that Rackham is looking for. I think Neutrogena products are great, as well as Lubriderm. I tend to steer away from recommending products that contain Co-Q 10 or AlphaHydroxy as a rule, so long as someone is just looking for a moisturizer. Cetaphil is an awesome product since it is very mild and can be used on wet or dry skin, especially on the face. For sensitive skin sufferers, it might be the one of the only products for use on the face...

As for me, I keep old-fashioned cocoa butter by Palmers in my medicine cabinet. The one in the tube. I put that on my face at night if my skin is dry, especially when I have gotten too much sun that day. It keeps my face from drying out and peeling. I also use a bit of Aquaphor (ointment based) if my skin cracks, especially around my ears in the winter.

As for eczema or dry skin rashes, a good mixture is a combination of 2 products: Acid Mantle Cream (this might have to be ordered by a pharmacy) and Hydrocortisone 1% cream mixed together in equal parts and applied 1-2X a day. Acid mantle cream helps to restore the self defense system of skin: and that is a slightly acid pH. The HC works as an anti-imflammatory and is mild enough to be used on the face or on infants or children.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm... I love lotion.
[Evil]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Tater, get the real thing. [Razz]

I'm lost on this due to the fact I don't use hand creams or lotions. I expect my skin to get dry at times. Especially when I am stuck down in the "hole" for a while.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to sound weird, but year-round I use Ocean Potion Burn Relief Ice. It not only works to turn burns into tan and pain into comfort, it also keeps dry skin moist. I love this stuff. It really works, at least for me.

Of course, everything depends on what CAUSES your dry skin ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, you need to have your own brand of bath&body products. OSC soap, OSC lotion, OSC perfume...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Here's the slogan:

Smell like Orson!
Look like Orson!
Feel like Orson!
Soft all over ...

Yeah, I can see them lining up at Target right now.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC,

As for the Ocean Potion, the ingredients are very good! The lidocaine is excellent for red, irritated skin. We sell it in pharmacies under the trade name Lidamantle, and it is very expensive ($40 ounce). The aloe vera is also good, and what I like most of all is the tea tree oil, which has a natural antimicrobial effect. Tea tree oil is great for all kind of skin irritations on humans and pets, especially the "hot spots" that dogs get on their coats. Thanks, I did not know this product was available. What it reminds me of is Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo, which is great for flaky scalp and irritation. It too is what I recommend for doggies "hot spots".

And finally, I was kind of hoping in a very demented way this thread was about Buffalo Bill and the lotion scene in Silence of the Lambs

"It puts the lotion on its skin..."

[ April 20, 2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Living in northern Alberta, I frequently got really really dry skin, and on my shins, it cracked and bled. I used Mango Body Butter from the Body Shop - worked like a charm. It's greasy, but it sure does make a world of difference.

Other than those really bad dry skin problems, I usually used Cocoa Butter - best thing for my skin.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Steve.. weirdo. [Razz]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom makes a concoction of beeswax, almond oil, and cocoa butter that she uses on her skin. It's greasy as all heck for the first several minutes you put it on, but my mom has the best skin of anyone I know.

Personally, I like to use Bath & Body Works body butter. It's really thick, but it doesn't get greasy. On my feet or when Utah winters get to me I use the wal-mart equivalent of Eucerin. I used to love Mary Kay's Satin Hands treatment, but lately it's been irritating my skin. [Frown]

[ April 21, 2005, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Jergens. I've tried eucerin, and while it's really great for moisturizing my skin, it's way too greasy for my tastes. All creams are, really. I'm a lotion-fiend. I have BAD days when I forget it. But I really only NEED to reapply after I wash my hands.

Anyway, Jergens is fairly inexpensive. The original smells lovely, but their unscented is just as good.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Eucerin is greasy to you? You must not have very dry skin. When we put it on my daughter, in a very thick layer, it's a bit greasy, but it absorbs into my skin immediately. [Blushing]

[ April 21, 2005, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I must confess... I'm addicted to lotion... So the first time I put eucerin on, it's probably not greasy... but then I have to reapply....

It's an addiction. Perhaps a mild case of OCD. In fact, I just washed my hands and reapplied some lotion. I think I need more just talking about it! AAAAAGH!!!

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas has eczema and we use eucerin or aquaphor on him. They seen to work well.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like sesame oil. It just smells...ok, erotic. It feels good. It's edible. It makes me feel like a nutty seed.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.