FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chinooks

Author Topic: Chinooks
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
To get this straight, this is a school project. I need some questions that uneducated people would ask about chinooks.

I need to do a survey of what questions people would ask about Chinooks for a movie I am making. Chinooks are warm, dry winds that blow over the Rocky Mountains into the Prairies.

So what do you want to know?

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they really as cute and fluffy as they look?

[Wink]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What time of year do they happen?

What causes them?

What effect do they have on the environment?

[ April 20, 2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Chinooks generally happen during the winter months. They can raise the temperature drastically in the space of a few minutes.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

What is a chinook?
Where do they form?
How do they impact weather?
Why did they feel the need to name a specific wind pattern?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any questions about them - I lived on the prairies, so I've experienced them first hand. But if you need help answering questions, I'm here for ya! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Smile] Firsthand experience would be great... I'll see if I can dream up a few questions to ask you!

What is a chinook?
A chinook is a warm, dry wind that travels over the Rocky mountains, drastically increasing temperatures.

Where do they form?
Chinooks are formed when a high pressure system over Alberta pulls moist pacific air east over the Rocky Mountains. It rises, expands, and then cools. Once it cools below it’s dew point, it loses it’s moisture, but retains some of the heat from that moisture. It gets warmer and warmer every time is rolls downhill, but loses less heat than it gains. By the time the air crests the final mountain range, and descends on the prairie it is warmer and drier than it was when it started out.

How do they impact weather?]
They make it warmer and drier.

Why did they feel the need to name a specific wind pattern?
Because it ts so extraordinary. In the middle of winter, the temerature can change dramatically in a few minutes.

ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Chinooks are fun.
What language does the word chinook come from?

Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Can they cause stuff like tornados? [Eek!]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

What language does the word chinook come from?

Chinook is a Blackfoot word meaning snow-eater.

Can they cause stuff like tornados?

I'm not sure about this. I'm pretty sure they can't. The only thing that I've come across is that they can cause pollution to be trapped 100m above a city, creating bad smog. They also can create "shears," where a warm chinook and a cold mass of air are in a standoff, sometimes making one side of a street 10 degres warmer than the other.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And when they say that there can be wild temperature changes happening quickly, they ain't kidding.

I've experienced Chinooks in Calgary, Alberta that took temperatures from -40C to -5C in about fifteen or twenty minutes. And yes, when you're talking about pre-Chinook frigid temperatures, that -5C can feel absolutely tropical. (I've been known to start wearing shorts in Edmonton as soon as it hit -13C.)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Helicopter?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I was wondering when someone would ask that...
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of them. What do they do?
What causes them? Do people want them? Why or why not? Are they harmful? How?

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone in our congregation had a little camper called a chinook when I was a kid. Also, isn't chinook a kind of salmon? I was also vaguely aware of the seasonal wind aspect, but it is interesting to learn about.

Q: Are Chinooks really caused by chili cookoffs in Utah?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, isn't chinook a kind of salmon?
Also called the king salmon. It's Alaska's state fish. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in Anchorage, we called that weather a Chinook also. I always assumed it was an Alaska native word. Hunh.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I just couldn't help myself.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I know about chinooks is that they marked the end of the Long Winter in the Little House on the Prairie series. I used to love those books. [Razz]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I need more questions! Think, people, think!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So they're a wind. Are they kind of like the Santa Anas in So. Cal.?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Same thing, different name.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
What about human behavior changes associated with weird winds like Chinooks? Are they real or folklore? How do animals react to them?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Any Blackfoot (or any other Native American tribe) myths or folklore about Chinooks?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

What about human behavior changes associated with weird winds like Chinooks?
The quick drop in atmospheric pressure causes intense headaches. Some women have sinus headaches, dizziness and nausea during chinooks. Emotional disorders are aggravated. People report having pent-up energy, feeling agitated, insomnia, and feelings of paranoia. The drastic temperature change, and gusting wind that can be charged with positive ions may cause depression or maybe psychotic behavior.

Any Blackfoot (or any other Native American tribe) myths or folklore about Chinooks?

Yes. There are many folklore and mythological stories about Chinooks. I will type one up soon.

Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they make people commit suicide?
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Or am I thinking about some other kind of wind?
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

They got something in Europe, a wind, can't remember what it's called, that can make people murder people, and apparently you can use it as a legitimate defense.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

The foehn is the equivelent of the Chinook in Europe.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] I thought that this was a post about helicopters...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] I thought it was a post about fish. Isn't a chinnok what Henry Huggins goes fishing for with his dog Ribsy. And remember how Ribsy gets all wet and smelly? Good times.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If they're the same thing as the Santa Anas, how come I've never heard of the Santa Anas having a strange effect on humans?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
how come I've never heard of the Santa Anas having a strange effect on humans
How could you tell, in La-La Land? [Taunt]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

No idea, KQ. Maybe it has something to do with the chinook having a more drastic temperature change.

Presentation was today. Thanks for helping! I think it went well.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Be quiet, p... *stifles evil nickname*

I guess that makes sense. Come to think of it, the cats did used to go crazy with them.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.