FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wikipedia and Pope Palpatine

Author Topic: Wikipedia and Pope Palpatine
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this has already been posted.

But This is why I both love and hate Wikipedia.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
*snarf*

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Admit it. That's funny. [ROFL]

[ April 20, 2005, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: urbanX ]

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be outraged, but I'm laughing too hard.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any problem with the joke. It's mildly amusing - they do look a lot alike. I'm more offended on behalf of Wikipedia.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* And twinky was afraid it wasn't a real encyclopedia. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, left out of that post is the fact that the page in question was dredged up from its history, and that the vandalism is being dealt with promptly...
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, see now I can't make my snide comment. [Wink]

[ April 20, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I was like, where's the joke? And woh does the pope look like Emperor Palpatine. Oh wait. Ha ha.

(I didn't read the thread title well)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I showed a friend of mine who isn't very Star Wars savvy and she said "Okay, I'm looking at it, and?"

"Did you look at the picture?"

"Yeah, and?"

"And?"

"Wait...that's not his picture is it?"

Then she clicked on the picture, and the caption says Palpatine.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Now they just need to do that for Bush! Wait... anyone can edit those entries...

*LIGHTBULB* [Evil]

Ok, I'm very seriously tempted to do this. Someone talk me out of it.

[ April 21, 2005, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't take that long for people to fix it. The pope's picture is already fixed...your link is an older version of the article

[ April 21, 2005, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*grin* And twinky was afraid it wasn't a real encyclopedia. [Smile]
Case rested.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank god I'm not the only one who immediately saw the similarity between them. [Smile]
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
That's great

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not get it at all.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz - instead of Pope Ratzinberger, they had a picture of Chancellor Palpatine.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a realistic pict. [ROFL]

Maybe he have a secret white army... But where is Vador ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean the Pope wants to be the Emperor?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Door
Member # 7854

- posted      Profile for Bill Door   Email Bill Door         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe the emperor wants to be pope...
Posts: 24 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
This would be his Vador.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering I think the pic lasted up there all of a few seconds (what is linked to is the prior version where the pic existed), this is, if anything, a good example of how resilient wikipedia is.

As opposed to, say, Britannica's hard copy, where the errors just sit there, and are often much less obvious: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1456119,00.html

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

If the next edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica comes out with a picture of Senator Palpatine next to the column about Benedict XVI, or even if Britannica online ever posts such a picture next to the column, I will eat my hard hat.

Edit: Also, the suggestion that Britannica's errors are "less obvious" is spurious. What makes wikipedia immune to similarly obscure errors?

[ April 21, 2005, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIKT, that picture was put up in one minute, and the very next minute it was removed.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

My point is that if entries and edits were vetted a priori, it would never have been posted.

Edit: What does the "K" stand for in "AFAIKT?"

[ April 21, 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRK, it stands for "can."
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

That's what I thought. [Razz]
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
I told my wife when I first saw him that he did resemble the emperor a bit. Someone must have noticed a resemblance too. I think it is mildly amusing.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Welcome to Hatrack! [Wave]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Korrekct
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
twinky, you're stuck in a remarkably old-media view of data. If someone had to approve everything posted to wikipedia, it couldn't be a free -- and enormous, and mostly accurate -- encyclopedia.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
twinky, you're stuck in a remarkably old-media view of data.
I don't see this as a problem, though. It isn't a matter of being "stuck" when you're "stuck" on purpose. It's interesting that you see it as a negative thing.

quote:
If someone had to approve everything posted to wikipedia, it couldn't be a free -- and enormous, and mostly accurate -- encyclopedia.
That's right, it couldn't. And that'd be fine by me. "Mostly accurate" when there's no accountability -- and, indeed, no guarantee of even approximate accuracy if you read their disclaimer -- isn't good enough for me. So I don't use it.
Portabello
Member # 7710

But why are you proselyting against it?
twinky
Member # 693

Huh? How is posting a thread that says "wikipedia bothers me for these reasons, does anyone else feel the same way?" at all evangelical?

I wouldn't have posted to this thread at all if Tom hadn't mentioned me by name.

Portabello
Member # 7710

OK. Backing off now.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
As has been pointed out before, none of the other encyclopedia's make any guarantee of accuracy, and in fact all expressly deny such a guarantee.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

If by "as has been pointed out before" you mean "I linked to one instance," then you're generalizing an awful lot from one example. Not to mention that your own link supports my point about accountability.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It couldn't have been removed from Wikipedia that fast. A friend told me about it and I didn't check it out until hours later, and the search still took me to the pic of Palpatine. Perhaps it was just a glitch?
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an older revision of the page. From the timestamps, The joke picture was baleeted in a minute or less. Wikipedia lets you see older versions of the pages, to help track what was changed.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Attention: This article is in a state of constant fluctuation.
Due to the high frequency of edits at this time, the content of this article may change rapidly, and may temporarily contain inaccuracies, POV, and vandalism.

They did put a warning on it.

AJ

hmm twinky, here they are answering some of your questions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:POV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Vandalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Vandalism_in_progress

[ April 21, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
As somebody who's actually done research and factchecking for a mainstream reference work -- not to mention somebody who's experienced the unique joy that comes of finding an error in a published dictionary -- I find twinky's faith in the superiority of a slower, more exclusive editorial process to be charming. Not terribly well-founded, but charming.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
*Zing!*
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.