FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Safest Places in the World

Author Topic: The Safest Places in the World
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This week, a top insurance company charted the world's most dangerous places to do business. Unsurprisingly, regions like Iraq, India and Russia were shaded brown on the "risk map", marking them as at severe risk from terrorism.

quote:
But while most countries were classified as "guarded" risk or above, by Aon, the world's second-largest insurance broker, it also highlighted, in a calming sage-green, a handful of states dotted round the globe which remain unaffected by the seemingly ever-present terror threat.
The Article (BBC)

The Map (pdf file)

I thought this was very interesting. It shades countries in five colours; light green, green, yellow, yellow-brown, and brown. Canada is green and the U.S. is yellow. It also highlights the threats, such as right wing, left wing, kidnap, single-interest, etc.

I wasn't really surprised by any of the ratings, except Iran, which is coloured Green!

Take a look.

[ April 21, 2005, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Iran is kind of safe unless you're a political dissident or Canadian journalist...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting. Thanks for the link!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I wouldn't feel safe visiting Iran as a tourist, at least not as the same as Canada, and that's what the map seems to be saying.

[Confused]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can see, this is just referring to danger due to terrorism.

[ April 21, 2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Portabello ]

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yes, but I'd feel more likely to encounter terrorism in Iran than Canada...

Perhaps that's just how it feels.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You also must consider other risks, as well as what countries you're likely to have to travel through to get there.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You ought to be able to fly to London or Paris, then to Amman, Jordan, and then on to Tehran.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
North Korea looks like a nice place to live.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.