FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pregnancy myth or fact?

Author Topic: Pregnancy myth or fact?
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom freaks out if I lift anything over 10 lbs. or reach up to the top shelf of my kitchen cabinets. She thinks it can cause miscarriages. I have had many people express similar sentiments, but in no preganancy books have I found advice not to reach or lift heavy things. It makes me angry, because I don't think I'm endangering myself in any way. Why shouldn't I lift up to 40 lbs. (which is the limit I can lift comfortably with my leg and arm muscles) or extend my body? By the same token, isn't it okay to bellydance, do yoga, or other exercises?

I don't want to do anything to endanger my embryo, but I also don't want to perpetuate any myths when I am perfectly capable of doing things.

[ April 21, 2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Jenny Gardener ]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that unless you have spotting any activities you did before pregnancy are fine. Undertaking a new sport or exercise not designed to be low impact is probably less ideal. OSHA regulations allow a pregnant woman to lift up to 25 lbs. on the job. I was lifting my chunky toddler regularly throughout, though I complained about it a lot.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that you aren't supposed to fence when pregnant. That will be very sad for me. [Frown]

(*no, I am not pregnant)

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
*POKE*

Ha-ha! Now you can't poke me back! [Taunt]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
ACK! NOOOOOooooooooOOoooo!

[ROFL]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You could bite her.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
My midwife always said up to 50 lbs was OK. The reaching over your head thing is a total myth.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
The physiological changes of pregnancy include a loosening of the ligaments holding all your joints in place. This means that it is a LOT easier to hurt yourself if you are straining or doing lifting you aren't used to. That being said, if you are using proper posture and lifting weights that aren't a strain for you then it should be fine. I toted around toddlers while pregnant and it did me no harm.

As with all things related to pregnancy, use common sense and you're usually fine!

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
While I am not, nor have I ever been pregnant, I remember taking a core fitness class with a pregnant instructor.

She said her doctor advocated mild, low-impact exercise throughout the pregnancy as long as the mother was so inclined.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy is definitely a myth.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ncpad.org/exercise/fact_sheet.php?sheet=18§ion=121

Recommends exercise, no specific limits on lifting weight or arm movement.

http://www.ncpad.org/exercise/fact_sheet.php?sheet=18§ion=117

General tips.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980415ap/wang.html

Far more specific information for the curious.

As with most exercise, "light," "moderate" and "heavy" weight is supremely relative.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
The only problems I had lifting things was when I had a huge tummy in the way. I think that is when they start to worry about heavy things, because at that point you can't keep the center of gravity close to your own center. It isn't about hurting your baby though, but hurting you.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also heard that it's fine to lift up to 40 pounds. How are you feeling, Jenny?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Some parenting magazine or another that I get had an article on pregnancy myths last year... I'll try to find it and send it to you to give your mother.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha. Jenny, this reminds me of the stories my friend would tell me about being pregnant in Costa Rica.

There were all kinds of whacky things people would freak out about. I wish I could remember them! One was something about opening the refrigerator.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't want to do anything to endanger my embryo
Am I a little weird for thinking it strange that you use the word "embryo" instead of "baby"? Or just old fashioned...

[ April 22, 2005, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Cashew ]

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Cashew, I'm carrying an embryo right now. I'm using this term because my six-year-old is fixated on fetal development and I want to present the accurate stage of my pregnancy!

I'm feeling pretty good. I'm starting to get into the lusty phase of my pregnancy, so that's fun.

You know, I suppose that might be another thing my mom might get concerned about [Wink]

Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the explanation Jenny. Not sure I needed the info about the "lusty stage" though. [Embarrassed]
I guess I AM old fashioned [Wink]

[ April 22, 2005, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Cashew ]

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a yoga class for pregnant women that my favorite instructor will soon be teaching. She's due in August. I think it's highly recommended, though some poses are modified to accomodate. (I really wanted to take that class cause the instructor is so good, but only pregnant women are allowed, alas.)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.