FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » חג פסח שמח וכשר

Author Topic: חג פסח שמח וכשר
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
אני מאחל כאן לכל היהודים וקוראי העברית למיניהם חג פסח שמח וכשר... שבת אצלנו בארץ עוד כשעה, אז אני חייב לכתוב כעת.

This was a Passover greeting, so all the best and happy & kosher Pesach. No whiskey (we don't have Scotch, just Tullamore Dew) - but at least holidays!

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And to you as well, Jon. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I might be running the Sedder if my father gets too tired or bored. I did it last year.

My sister and her husband (and now their daughter) like going to the Sedder at their parents, obviously. But naturally, never at the father+mother IL, so this time we're having the whole Sedder here, with my parents, grandmother, sister, Brother in law, niece and BIL's parents.

Go figure.

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sort of a lost wandering Jew this year. My parents live 3 hours away, and I can't make it over there. My temple is doing a community seder, but its $30 a person.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
!חג שמח

[Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Chag Sameach, everyone. (Too busy to put in the Hebrew.)
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesh harbeh anasheim smedebrim ivrit po?
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Chag Sameach, y'all.

I am so glad that I'm not hosting any seders this year.

Stephan, are you a student? Many shuls offer discounts to students or waive the fees all together - mine does.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

No, not a student anymore. Just new to the area, and dating a Methodist.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

Can anyone translate what I wrote?
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

You asked if there are many people here who speak Hebrew...

I do! [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Presumably most of the people who have posted in this thread, Kent.

And to answer your question, yes, we do seem to have suddenly jumped to a larger number than I'm used to. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

I'm gratified. Most Jews I know don't know much Hebrew (I don't know many Israelis obviously).
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm not Israeli, and neither are reader and Mrs.M. I don't know Stephan yet, but I'm guessing he's not Israeli either.
Raia
Member # 4700

There are three Hatrackers, that I know of, who currently live in Israel... Jonathan Howard, Beanny, and myself. [Smile]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hag Sameach to all!

Just taking a break from cooking up a storm, as I am expecting a houseful of people.

JaneX, adam613, and narrativium will be home for Passover -yay! [Big Grin] (Actually the first 2 are in the kitchen at this moment - the third is en route from Atlanta airport at this moment. And my mom and two sisters will be coming. Like I said, a houseful.

חג שמה וכשר לכולם

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Not Israeli, but definitely Jewish. In fact I am going on a Birtright Israel trip at the end of the month.
Raia
Member # 4700

Woah, you are? Wanna meet while you're here? [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Awesome, Stephan! Have a great time. [Smile]
Stephan
Member # 7549

That would be great if I am able to. The only time they said we have to meet with people in the country is when we are at the hotel in the evenings. I know we will be staying at the T'veria hotel in Tel Aviv and the Jerusalem Hotel at different points on the trip. They are taking personal responsibility for our safety, and are not allowing any free time outside of the hotel away from the group.
Raia
Member # 4700

Stephan, I sent you an e-mail. [Smile]
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Ok, now I see the characters. On my ancient mac at school, the thread title and everything in Hebrew looked like ??? ???? ??? I'm used to a blank box if something is code, so I was really baffled by the question marks. I thought "What is it with Passover and question marks?"

What an idiot I am. [Blushing]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think oldest gentile sons have a different view of passover. It's not that I mind the holiday, I just get a little [Angst] as the night goes on.

[ April 22, 2005, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
pesach sameach l-col ha-am ba-olam.

Ackshav ze zman ani yashon. :-)

Laila tov.

[ April 23, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: CalvinMaker ]

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Chag's over here, and it was great.

Ma'ariv was excellent, and sung at our schule by a brilliant Tenor (best Chazzan), then I ran the Sedder, which cam out pretty well (no-one was willing to participate in the more challenging tunes I tried-out for Hallel, but never mind). Shacharit sung by the second-best Chazzan in the schule (a fantastic Baritone), and then I basically went to sleep.

You in the Gola, however, have another night to enjoy.

All the best, and speak to you tomorrow!
JH

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I had seder at my Hebrew Professor's house. It was very enjoyable.

First of all, her thirteen year old daughter was hitting on my, which I found quite amusing/flattering. What I did not find amusing was the fact that until I asked I would have sworn she was 16 or 17. That's just flat out scary.

My professor's husband was one of those people who likes to give people large portions, and so when I wasn't looking at my plate, he piled on a massive amount of spicy potatoes on my plate. So to make a show of it, I wolfed them down, timing myself. I finished them all in under 5 minutes. :-)

Which was also not that great an idea, because my stomach couldn't really handle any food after that, except for a few bites of cake.

BUT, they gave me a massive care package full of food, so that kicked gluteus maximus.

Anyway, seder was a lot of fun, and I got to speak some eevreet while I was there. :-)

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
First of all, her thirteen year old daughter was hitting on my, which I found quite amusing/flattering. What I did not find amusing was the fact that until I asked I would have sworn she was 16 or 17. That's just flat out scary.
*Cough, cough; nudge, nudge!*

Ahem? *I'm four-cough-tee-cough-n year-cough-s old-DoubleCough.*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.