FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stop Posting On Hatrack!!!

Author Topic: Stop Posting On Hatrack!!!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I keep telling myself.....

it's not working.

After BobnDanaCon, I vowed with myself to really cut back on Hatrack time. Do more productive things. Quit making it the focus of my days on slow days at work.

Did okay for awhile. Didn't post at all for a few days. Then posted like once on the 16th; twice on the 17th. Up to four times on April 18th & 19th (trying to only check Hatrack once per day, in the morning).

Then, with all the resolve of a dieter heading for the nearest vending machine to get a 3 Musketeers, I posted 15 times on the 20th! 14 on the 21st! and I'm already at 13 posts for today!

AAARGGGHH! How do you stop this addiction!!???

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I beat the habit by alienating myself from much of hatrack and creating a personality centered around animosity and condescension. Worked like a charm. I can now go for days or weeks without even thinking about hatrack. I just post here when there's nothing else to do online.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear that your posting cut-back (which I did notice a couple days ago) was not due to anything being wrong.

As far as kicking the addiction . . . um . . . [Blushing] [Dont Know]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Prove your self control, PC.

Dare you.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Remove hatrack from your bookmarks. In fact, remove all non-work stuff from your bookmarks. It works!

You can still check hatrack once every few times a day, but you'll have to click on five things (after typing it into the url box) to get to the forum. Its analogous to having the vending machine 200ft from you instead of 15.

And don't use the history autocomplete thing either. Thats like bringing in a candy bar to work [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Must have something to do with these wonderful people.... even when I get perturbed with them, I still love them...

...kinda like getting sucked slowly into a whirlpool. Can't pull myself loose.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Xavier - in real life the vending machine here is three floors down and that still doesn't discourage my visits to it! *grin*.

I just am really sucky on willpower.

[ April 22, 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Farmgirl

I seemed to have broken my addiction somewhat, but I have no idea how. I've become a bit of a lurker recently and I'm not sure why. Strive to become quiet and boring like myself - it helps.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, for me it is more like Frodo and the ring. I can just feel the pull from upstairs, and I just can't resist.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I knew the answer FG--I've tried to do the same thing, to no avail. Being told that I'd probably loose my job if I ever visited Sakeriver from work again seems to have been sufficient to keep me away from Mike's site during the day though--maybe you could try having you boss say something like that to you.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I never bookmark hatrack.

I just type an h and my address bar completes the rest (it goes straight to the list of threads for this forum).

So h and then enter in a new browser window takes me to hatrack.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

:snort: yeah - this being the boss that spends all HIS day on HomestarRunner, or listening to audio clips from Napolean Dynamite?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I went cold turkey for a month and a half to finish up a big project just a little while ago. Amazing how productive I was.

You can tell you're addicted when you open Hatrack to find out about the morning news.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can still check hatrack once every few times a day, but you'll have to click on five things (after typing it into the url box) to get to the forum. Its analogous to having the vending machine 200ft from you instead of 15.

I do that everytime I come. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that does complicate matters, doesn't it?

Do you administer your firewall? If so you could block Hatrack from there, making it so that you could only hit the site from home. Not that I actually want you to *do* this, of course--just having fun thinking up ideas.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oh - that pains me just to think about it, Noemon!!

yes I could do that -- I have the ability to add blocks to the firewall. And I suppose I am the only one here it would affect.

But oh! No -- I couldn't do anything that drastic!

If only I could find something else to better fill my time.... ("better" being the operative word here)

FG

edit: oh duh. No, that wouldn't work either. Being a member of the tech department -- we have wide open access through the firewall - unlike the rest of the peons in the building. [Wink] So anything I do to the firewall wouldn't apply to me. How else do you think my co-workers play World of Warcraft while at work?

[ April 22, 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you administer your firewall? If so you could block Hatrack from there, making it so that you could only hit the site from home.
I've done that several times before, although only for a day or three.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Every morning change your password to something unintelligible, without paying attention to what it is. Then each evening, when you get home, request your lost password information. It won't prevent you from reading Hatrack (which is what really takes the time), but it might help you not to post.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Or I could go through the very frustrating route of changing my e-mail address on my Hatrack profile (I have at least five e-mail addresses I could rotate through) -- which thereby locks me out until they get around to sending me an e-mail to let me know what new password they have assigned me. That will force me to be off for awhile.

[Big Grin]
Of course, then I would just use Ivygirl's logon.

FG

imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
Face it, FG, you're hooked. Welcome to the club.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna suggest the e-mail thing at first, but since you don't have to confirm the password when you change it, it seemed the easier route.

If your work has a static IP address, maybe you could request to have it banned. A little drastic, though....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me, you're not the only one who suffers from this. We sould go see a psychologits...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a month-long hiatus. It actually worked, for the most part. I still post a lot, but within reason now. And it doesn't come at the price of ignoring everyone I know IRL, either.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
If you find the secret Farm, let me know. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
edit: oh duh. No, that wouldn't work either. Being a member of the tech department -- we have wide open access through the firewall - unlike the rest of the peons in the building. [Wink] So anything I do to the firewall wouldn't apply to me. How else do you think my co-workers play World of Warcraft while at work?
Woah! What kind of job do you have? What do you do?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How else do you think my co-workers play World of Warcraft while at work?
I wish I could do that!

I've actually considered it - since as long as I have my work taken care of, my boss doesn't seem to care what I do (chat online, browse hatrack, play flash games, etc.) - but I've been so very afraid of what would happen if I actually brought it in and installed it - I'd never get anything done again.

[ April 22, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well -- I should clarify -- the ones that play WoW online here are doing it on their own laptops they bring in from home -- not on their work PCs. So they are still on call and working as needed

But our boss is flexible -- as long as our work is getting done on time, our down time is our own.

Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.