FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are you kidding??

Author Topic: Are you kidding??
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
In the race with Texas and California for the title of the weirdest state in the Union, there are new developments in Florida.

Apparently, the atmosphere in the public schools is such in this state that it's necessary to call law enforcement on a 5 year old having a temper fit!

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Link to a story?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the one from March or is this a new case?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's the March case. I do know the video was featured last night on most of the Kansas City tv stations' news.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the March case. But apparently the entirety of the incident was filmed, and video was just released to the public.

[ April 23, 2005, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
In its wisdom, the Florida legislature has approved the obvious solution to such a threat.

[ April 23, 2005, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

The Florida legislature has the solution to everything. Besides the normal kinds of laws in the public interest such bodies produce, they legislate teaching and learning, family tragedies (if I had a nickle for every Florida law with someone's name on it, I could live very comfortably for a long time without working!), what punishments parents are allowed to use. You name it: every day, it seems, they come up with a new idea about what to pass a law about!

If they had their way, they'd legislate which grocery stores people were allowed to shop at!

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay.
Bring on the totalitarians!
Who needs freedom!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=694504&page=1

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What else were they suppose to do? If the girl became violent with them, they couldn;t really even defend themselves without opening themselves up to liability.

Obviously this isn't the first time this has happened, she had been warned, as had her mother.

Three cops there...not to force her, but to be witnesses if the mother creid abuse, I bet.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother (first grade teacher) used a ruler or a yard stick as needed. It is sad when we let the pseudo scientists influence law to the point where a delicate and beautiful construct like the human pain system cannot be used as the learning tool God made it to be. I am so glad I went to school in Iowa.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
They had ping-pong paddles in my elementary school. [Big Grin]
I never found the ping-pong table those buggers were hiding!

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

Gee, Tater, I can beat that:

The principal had a spanking machine at my elementary school! It had a ping pong paddle *on* it, some gears and a crank to make the paddle fly up and down real fast and a bicycle seat that served as a "knee" to be turned over for the purpose of said punishment. We were scared to death of that thing!

~Ele

TMedina
Member # 6649

Pffft - Kwea, when will you learn? I am, more times than not, on the side of the cops.

This incident is no exception - not to rehash old ground, but no matter how the cops tried to restrain the child, they would be criticized. Usually by people never responsible for trying to restrain the unwilling.

And in the Golden Age of lawsuits, I would imagine the school has a pretty strict "hands off" policy when it comes to restraining students.

-Trevor

Edit: For spelling. And typos. [Big Grin]

[ April 25, 2005, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*reads BC's post*

O_O

*checks Sarcastometer*

*re-calibrates*

*heaves sigh of relief*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hyperfried
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for Hyperfried           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to ask you one thing - Did your mothers need the police when you were throwing a tantrum? Assuming they didn't... what. The. Crap.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I was never that out of control - although it did take a doctor and four nurses to hold me down for my first shot.

Permit me to point out, however, that a mother has a little more leeway in what she can do to restrain her child than non-family members can.

-Trevor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.