FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving Day...#3

Author Topic: Moving Day...#3
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm moving from my little house on the prairie to Dana's parsonage today. All my junk is going to meet all her junk to make one huge pile of junk that will need to be sorted and selectively winnowed before we move again in mid-June.

The movers are already lined up for that move. We just don't have a destination yet.

I hate moving.

But today's is pretty easy. I never really put that much stuff into the little house. Just a bed, dresser, table, chairs and sofa. It's a small place and I mainly used it for sleeping.

But still. Moving makes me shudder [Angst]

And Dana's house is already full to the rafters. It has secret compartments in it. And a full basement that is, well, full.

I'm getting some help from a couple of local kids who are in middle school, but look like pro linebackers. Must be corn fed, you know. Great kids, anyway. They spent the morning weightlifting, so I figure my furniture should be no sweat for them. Ha!

Well, gotta go hitch up the trailer.

Dana got out of all this. She had a meeting today somewhere far West of here. Hmm...

She did have to spend part of last night clearing a path to the bed that will be displaced in the guest room. Looks like we're in good shape for getting rid of that thing. It's a VERY soft bed. Sitting on it is more like pilates. [ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Looks like we're in good shape for getting rid of that thing. It's a VERY soft bed. Sitting on it is more like pilates.
I'm sure you'll be glad to wash your hands of it then.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Matress puns with pilates and no one's gone for the obvious "nail" reference?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be cross Dag--there were only two puns in the thread when you wrote that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...

I think we're missing a much richer vein of puns here, folks.

I was thinking he was referring to Pilates:

quote:
Pilates works by combining breathing techniques with special stretches and a machine. ... individuals have to go through systematic moves, whilst holding their torsos in place and moving their limbs in different directions. This movement challenges the individual’s balance, strength and flexibility.

Where oh where to begin? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my. I can;t believe it, but i am actually going to respond to Bob's post without a pun!

Bob, watch a few Clean House episodes. Kepp-Sell-Toss.

Good luck, I hate moving with a passion. (oops, that one slipped in. Honest!)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I was sort of tied up. I swear, I must be the King of the moves. I really hate hanging around waiting. Wish the kids would get here. Of course, I'm a little concerned about having other people look at all my junk. I'm sure they'll be casting lots of odd looks my way.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a thorny problem, Bob.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Let he who is without weird cast the first odd look.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - I helped move your stuff into that cute little house. That wasn't weird stuff. The weird stuff is in some of those "secret compartments" in dkw's house! Wait until you pack to move out of that house!! [Wink]
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

KP...any chance you could visit for, say, the month of June and take charge of making all the decisions like "toss it; keep it; donate it?"

The mind you save may be related to you, either by blood or marriage. [Wink]

Extra inducement: The new guest bed is in place. It's comfortable.

KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
The person you really want to help you is my sister, Cindi. But you'd have to watch her . . . she tosses everything (well almost everything - she's kept her grandchildren)!
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]

Well...I'm happy to report that the kids (3 of them) were REALLY diligent and careful. They did a great job. I'd hire them again.

We've got the old bed in the trailer waiting for Spring Cleaning day. We've got the new bed and the sofa and chair in. The table is over at our friends (they needed a new dining room table that can expand out, we have 3 nice tables & chair sets. [Big Grin] )

The place is only marginally more crowded than it was yesterday.

I do have a few things to unpack, but I'm just too tired.

I think I'll go shower and see if Dana feels more like cooking dinner than I do. Maybe we'll have popcorn tonight. [Big Grin]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] I'll cook supper.

But sweetie, considering that we stayed overnight in Iowa City on the way to KamaCon, you ought to which direction it is. (hint: Chicago is not west of Iowa)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh, that Iowa City. [Wall Bash]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.