FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tabloid vs. Broadsheet

Author Topic: Tabloid vs. Broadsheet
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be a disturbing trend in the newspaper industry. Highly-respected, well-established newspapers like The Times of London are converting to tabloid format.

Now, I have always despised tabloids, being inextricably linked in my mind to amoney/sex/scandal, sensationalist style of reporting. Also, they just tend to be uglier. Recently, I wrote a letter to the editor of LeDroit (the only french-language newspaper in the Ottawa region, founded in 1913; it switched to tabloid format back in 1988.) I shared with him my opinion that the format of their newspaper did not adequately reflect the quality of their content. To my great surprise, he answered me personally to explain at great lengths why disagreed with me.

He cited the example of The Times, and referred to several international conferences he had attended with seem to indicate that tabloids are the future of newspapers. The reasons he gave were mainly that it is easier to read, cheaper to produce, and more ecological, and that the tabloid format is becoming more and more linked with respectability, quality and reliability. He also hinted that I would be seeing many more high-profile newspapers converting to tabloid format in 2006 and 2007.

Naturally, I am appalled. Apart from the esthetic distaste I have for tabloids, the main reason I see that they are easier to read, cheaper to produce and more ecological is simply that they have less content. They usually hold much less in-depth reporting and analysis simply because there is less paper to print it on. And his hints about the future were disturbing. I would not like it one bit if the New York Times or the Globe And Mail suddenly became tabloids.

Anyone agree or disagree with me?

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Tabloid is the future. I am indifferent about it mainly because I don't read the paper for news.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, dh. I've always been a broadsheet fan.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Nespapers aren't going to start putting in less content simply because they are converting to tabloid. [Roll Eyes]

At the moment some newspapers in Ireland are available in both formats, so clearly they can fit in just as much in one as the other.

[ April 23, 2005, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Tabloid sized newspapers are so much easier to read on the train. That's one of the reasons why they sell so well. But I do agree that since the London Times changed over to tabloid they have less detailed reports. I only buy the Times now on Sundays when they still print broadsheet editions.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I avoid reading broadsheet papers simply because they're too awkward to work with. Too much folding. I'd be happy to have a tabloid style paper. More than likely, the biggest change will be the number and size of pictures in papers.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree, and would point at Newsday, of Long Island, New York, as an example of a tabloid not lacking in journalistic virtues. Honestly, I don't see why there would be a relationship between the content of a newspaper and the size of paper it was printed on. I tend to avoid broadsheets simply because I find them to be awkward to read, not for content-based reasons.

[ April 23, 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Shmuel ]

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I also find broadsheet papers a pain to read. Give me the content of a traditional broadsheet in a tabloid format and I'm very happy. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I am amazed at how New Yorkers can fold a Tabloid OR BROADSHEET with a single hand while reading on the train. The readability of the paper has less to do with the format of the paper and more to do with the arrangement of articles in columns, rather than across the page and spanning pages.

I've done some work for Newsday, and the pressmen read the paper while they're not loading the presses. It's interesting that they do the one-handed flip-and-fold even when they're not on the train. Habit I guess.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.