FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Should public figures be allowed to bar dissenters from their audience? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Should public figures be allowed to bar dissenters from their audience?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Only until you see my other posts concerning his beliefs and how he's getting his information...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find funniest about this whole sad procedure is that while it is designed to make him look strong--all of his sound bites surrounded by loving approving crowds, it makes him appear week--unable to face any criticism.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its a marketing gimmick.
I know that.

I just think it's kind of sad that marketing (aka propaganda, which is what all marketing is, at bottom - and before you blast me for using that word, just know that I'm using it in its definition as "information presented to persuade" and not it its perjorative political sense) has been allowed to trump the principles that I was brought up to believe this country was founded on.

Fortunately (and this might be a naive belief on my part), I think that most people in this country are smart enough to know that its just marketing, as well. It just bothers me that the president's men think Americans are stupid enough to continually do that stuff.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to underline what some people said. When President Bush (or other politicians) are speaking in a public context using public funding, it's their job to be working for the public interest. Obviously, that's a terribly nebulous term and one which I'm not even going to try to define. However, one thing I'm pretty sure it's not is pushing their own highly questionable agenda without transparency or accountability.

I'll make the same point as so many others and say that they disagree with someone is a poor criteria to claim that someone is going to be excessively disruptive (heck, there's a case to be made for the extremely enthusiastic people for someone are going to be excessively disruptive). However, I'd also like the make the point that if a politician in speaking in a public arena but is oriented towards serving his private interest at the expense of the public one, it doesn't matter if it is disrupted. It's almost better that it is. What he would be doing is wrong and a betrayal of his office and preventing him from doing so is not necessarily a bad thing.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Stewart nails the whole situation pretty well. It is funny, but not so much, really. OK, it's funny.
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/04/19.html

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.