FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column -- the pope and religious tolerance

Author Topic: New column -- the pope and religious tolerance
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Changing the papacy

quote:
In recent weeks the media spotlight has focused its harsh and unyielding beam on global Catholicism - softening its glare just a bit for the mourning period. The death of Pope John Paul II saddened world citizens of all creeds not only because of the pope's considerable human strengths but also because he made a crusade of reaching out to other faiths.
The column actually has more to do with the papacy and Turkey in the E.U., which you won't get from that blurb.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am just starting to try and understand Catholicism. Didn't the LDS religion and Cotholicism improve their relationships recently?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that I really liked about Pope John Paul II was his efforts to bridge gaps between Catholicism and other religions, especially Islam. I thought this was highlighted by the responses of the Arab media at large and especially more radical Islamicate groups to the Pope's death. They all were very complimentary of him and his work for greater peace and understand among all faiths. I can only hope that the new Pope Benedict will continue in this course. Religion can be such a divisive issue. I think it's necessary to promote greater understanding between different religions to be able to establish greater peace.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.