FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Japan and China--Is it enough?

Author Topic: Japan and China--Is it enough?
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
China still not satisfied.

Japan, the losers of the war would like to honor their dead in a temple of their native religion. The Chinese refuse to acknowledge a different government and different ideals.

I can see the problem with Japan never officially acknowledging the warcrimes, through an act of Parliament. But really? Must this always be brought up by the Chinese? What would really be enough for them?

It seems that this has been going on for millenia.

Thoughts?

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
It may have been going on for 'millenia' but many of the victims of these war crimes are still living.

The problem here is one of face. Japan really needs to get down and lick boot, and it never will. I mean, we're taling about war crimes that make Milosevic look like Mr. Rogers.

I am sympathetic to Japan. I admire their culture and the idea of continuous improvement. But this is not enough. I don't expect it will ever be enough.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

How do you feel about China's recent Nationalistic tendencies?
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
China is scary. Japan is doing what it can to try and keep the peace without losing face. I think this is the best they probably can do, politically.

But it won't stop China from kicking everyone's @ss if they have a mind to do it.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
'Recent'?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The official history taught in Japanese school textbooks is that Japan was thwarted by the forces of colonialism in its courageous altruistic attempt to bring peace&freedom&modernization&Enlightenment to Asia via the Co-Prosperity Sphere.

When the government forces its children, future citizens/voters to learn such jingoistic nonsense as the Truth, any apology given to outsiders is naturally seen as insincere. Especially when convicted WWII war criminals are given reverential treatment by the Japanese government.

[ April 25, 2005, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

quote:
'Recent'?
My point, exactly. [Wink]
aspectre
Member # 2222

How would you feel if Germany had a yearly national holiday commemorating Hitler and his henchmen? And German history books proclaimed that the Nazis were guilty only of trying to bring civilization to Europe?

It's recent if it is still within the direct experience of those who are still living. Considering that Japan has many post-centenarians, and that China/Korea/etc will have proportionally as many post-centenarians as living standards improve -- even if there is no improvement in gerontological medicine -- it'll be the 2070s before WWII truly falls into the past.
It won't be a case of "the sins of the fathers upon the children" until the fathers are dead.

[ April 25, 2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

Germany doesn't revere and worship their ancestors, as in Shinto. We are talking about completely differing cultures.

I don't think it will be enough even when every last person is dead that lived through the war. These prejudices border on racism--just as the Japanese have been prejudiced as well. These problems have, at their base, fundamental roots in a history of strife. Much like the Middle East. I think that's the main problem, and, as a citizen of the Pacific Rim, it concerns me when tensions heat up.

When I think of China, I think "What of freedom?" When I think of Japan, I think "What of humility?" These arguments just keep going on without resolution. Someone has to stop blaming and start healing, and China sure isn't at this point.

What would be enough for China? Manifest Destiny?

Stark
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for Stark   Email Stark         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The official history taught in Japanese school textbooks is that Japan was thwarted by the forces of colonialism in its courageous altruistic attempt to bring peace&freedom&modernization&Enlightenment to Asia via the Co-Prosperity Sphere.

When the government forces its children, future citizens/voters to learn such jingoistic nonsense as the Truth, any apology given to outsiders is naturally seen as insincere. Especially when convicted WWII war criminals are given reverential treatment by the Japanese government.

Do you have a cite for this? I've discussed this with a few actual Japanese people and they claim that the textbooks in question are actually only used in less than 2% of schools.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
It is very unfortunate that the Chinese government is exploiting events like the Nanjing Massacre for political gain.

To a certain extent, I do sympathize with the POV of the average Chinese citizen. If someone came into our country and killed 200,000 people in New York City, I think we would be extremely bitter as well.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Until the Japanese government is willing to give its own future citizens a more accurate picture of Japan's role in WWII as something to be ashamed of, there is no "we have learned a lesson", and there is no "we will not repeat that mistake".
And thus there is no true apology.

[ April 25, 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.