FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any adults here taken Topamax? ( Now PING sndrake)

Author Topic: Any adults here taken Topamax? ( Now PING sndrake)
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
I know one of our members child has been on Topamax. I'm wondering if any adults here have taken it. Just got back from the doc a while ago and he gave me samples to get me started to see if it will help control my seizures. So has anyone here taken it? Your opiunions on its side effects and effacacy would be appreciated.

[ May 03, 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: BookWyrm ]

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it daily, but it's for migraines. That means the dosage is much lower than the one you're probably on. Mine are 25 mgs. I had some tingling in the fingers off and on for the first couple months, but after that, nothing I've noticed. My neurologist was great - he warned me about the tingling. (He also assured me that it wasn't a sign of something worse happening and wouldn't be permanent.)

So, for what it's worth, I personally tolerate a low dosage really well. (The most important part is probably knowing what to look out for and having a plan in place for what to do if it isn't working in a way that is acceptable.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

Thanks bro. Here's what he has me doing.
Week 1: 25 mg in the evening.
Week 2: 25 mg .... 25 moring, 25 evening.
Week 3: 75 mg. 25 in the morning, 50 in the evening
Week 4: 50 in moring 50 in evening and continuing until he or I decide its not working or additional drugs should be added.

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
It is an exciting drug. It does have side effects for about 50% of people on higher dose. However, for someone like you, used to antiseizure drugs, the side effects will likely be a piece of cake. It can be harder to tolerate for people who have, say, migraines, obesity, or bipolar disorder. They aren't used to antiseizure drugs. It takes time to get used to drugs that can cause tiredness, but you know that by now.

I can't wait to see how you do on it!

[ April 25, 2005, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Well, for me, tiredness isn't an issue. It's probably not just the low dose, but the fact that I am taking the one tab shortly before bedtime.

I was pleased to find this out. About 15 years ago, I had a job that required quite a bit of lifting, which exacerbated my tremor to annoying levels. My neurologist recommended a really low dose of mysoline (we settled on splitting a 50 mg tab as a dosage). Even after two months, I could feel the effects of the drug in my system. I decided the tremor - even at the level it was then - was much less annoying.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I took it once, but my own responses to it are useless to others because I react so oddly to medications in general.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

Me too Theca. Although it has been a while since I've been on an AED (which most of those are CNS depressants,which we know) so I'm used to those side effects. Those are also generally temporary, lasting anyewhere between 2 to 5 weeks, depending on the dosage.
I took my first dose about a half hour ago. Hopefully I'll get a double benefit from it since it is also used to treat migraines.

BookWyrm
Member # 2192

I've not read anything about tremors. If they are temporary or even rather mild, I can deal with that (I haven't had time to find the PDR yet). So long as it isn't as severe as what I experienced with Neurontin. THAT stuff was BAD!!!!!
sndrake
Member # 4941

Oops, clarification needed.

Bookwyrm,

I've been on Topamax for about two years. The tremor is a lifelong issue and has nothing to do with topamax.

Topamax hasn't affected tremor issues one way or the other.

Mysoline (and, I believe, other CNS depressants) can dampen tremors to a certain extent.

BookWyrm
Member # 2192

Ahhhh. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, thanks to all that have read or responded to this thread with info rather than insults. This didn't happen at another board I post at where I know some have been on similar, if not the same, med(s). I got rather reamed for it.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* reamed HOW?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I was on topamax for about a year. I took 50mg for migraines.

My side effects were the tingling that sndrake mentioned - although it sounds like it was more severe for me. They became less frequent over time, but the sensation was enough to keep me awake or wake me up (they always happened at night - and I need my sleep). Also, when I was first starting it, I had little to no appetite for a month and occasionally experienced nausea. Most importantly for me however, I just never felt quite right on it. I was more forgetful then usual and my mood always seem to be a bit down.

:shrug: Although it stopped all my headaches, the benefits weren't enough for me. I stopped taking it about a year ago and I actually haven't had any migraines since (tension headaches are back, though).

PS- It made all dark colored sodas taste funky. So I just stopped drinking all soda, which was definitely a benefit of the drug.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. My son takes 75mg AM and 75 mg PM. I've been thinking about chatting with the neuro about decreasing.

Watch for the following things:

1. Heat exhaustion - you must drink extra water and lots of it. Topomax affects the body's ability to cool off during exercise or hot weather.
2. Tooth decay.

You already know about the increased need for sleep.

Good luck!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

quote:
*blink* reamed HOW?
Sorta like this:

quote:
Dude ...

Send a PM about things like that ...

quote:
there is a matter of decorum and respect involved in requesting someone's personal experience with various prescription medications.

or how about this one:

quote:
Medical information is customarily deemed to be "private information". Sharing your own isn't necessarily a bad thing, but starting a conversation with a named person might be a bit more personally revealing than wanted by the target of your conversation.

*overheard spoken loudly at a party where multitudes of hot chicks were present* "So how 'bout it Ven? Did the penicillin get that nasty rash and drippy secretion all cleaned up?"

quote:
Your posts in this thread show a distinct lack of respect.

quote:
I think you need to calm down and attempt to think rationally for a moment. If you cannot see that your original post was inconsiderate, then you need to step aware from the PC instead of throwing a temper tantrum because I called you on your lack of decorum.

Those are the first responses I got. With none actually answering my question.
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

Thanks Risuena and Shan for your replies as well. All noted and heeded.
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

sndrake:

How long were you on Topamax before you saw a redu7ction in your migraine activity? I'm on my third one in 2 weeks. [Frown] I started my new dosage yesterday of 25mg AM/PM

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one that read the title of the thread as "Any adults here taken Tampax?"

*must...resist...making...dobie...*
[Wink]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

I think the migraine dose goal is usually 100mg per day total, so hang in there!
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

I'm hanging Theca. I was just a bit curious and can't help but be a bit impatient. 'Specially when I'm hurtin'. And I'm kinda scared to take the zomax inhaler thingies the doc gave me because of my family history with heart disease now.
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

Ahhhhh.... go ahead Eruve. Ya know ya wanna. And it might help me smile [Wink]
Theca
Member # 1629

Zomig?

I don't usually have too many qualms about giving it to patients who don't have known coronary artery disease unless they have concerning symptoms or several risk factors. In which case I'd be ordering a stress test anyway. I even have patients on it that HAVE stable coronary disease. But I don't know you or your history so I can't make any recommendations on that.

Also, family history only counts when disease occurs at a younger age in first degree relatives like parents and siblings. If everyone in the family died suddenly at the age of 70+, that still doesn't count for much. Or if, say, all your great uncles died young. Still doesn't really count.

[ May 03, 2005, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

BookWyrm
Member # 2192

My dad had his first heart attack in his early 40s. Mom we don't know when. Both sets of grand parents had heart disease as well as great grand parents on moms side. Not sure at what age it was found though. My mom just cautioned me on the use of triptan based meds because of our history. She used to be a medical technologist once upon a time but she may have been alarmist. My doc really didn't take any time to talk over my concerns the last time I was there (I think he was having a bad day) So I've used caution until I could get the facts.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Bookwyrm,

the reduction is hard to nail down in terms of timing. My migraines are sporadic - generally one or two a month. But in the last few years, I've had two bouts a year that lasted over four days. And, in general, both frequency and intensity were up even for the shorter ones.

What I can say is this - the time I've been on topamax is associated with a drop in frequency and intensity of migraines. Significant.

But due to the pattern I have with migraines, I just can't say how long the medication actually took to work as a preventative.

IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are worried about how a high dosage affects people, I have been on 200mg AM and PM for quite awhile now for controling migranes and have had no adverse side affects. It has, however, helped me keep off ten pounds. [Big Grin]

With my pain, I had to keep going up slowly before I saw any significant decrease in pain. However I have daily smaller migranes and not full blown ones, so my results may be skewed.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
BookW, I recommend you also do a Hatrack search for Topamax.

I have personally coined the drug, Stupimax. Because it does just that, makes you stupid, or at least that is what it did to my ex. He was taking it for bipolar disorder though, not for seizures, and I wonder if the dose wasn't too high for him (something like 200mg?). I've heard others complain that it can cause memory loss at high dosages.

I used to work for a very good neurologist and he loved to prescribe Topamax. It really works well to control seizures and I believe that many studies are underway to get it approved for other indications.

[ May 04, 2005, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I had a lot of gastric problems with it. Ugh.
Theca
Member # 1629

I call it dopamax occasionally just to tease the drug reps. They claim the dopiness is temporary and occurs more when the dosage is increased more quickly.
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister took it for Bipolar and got up to 400mg twice daily and experienced the symptoms Val is describing. So that is somethign to consider. But at my 200mg twice daily, I do not feel those affects.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.