FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Trailer for "Serenity" going online today (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Trailer for "Serenity" going online today
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a "depends" kind of guy. There are some older teens I woldn't show it to, for example. But my son is mature enough, I think, and we've talked about some of the issues in the shows.

Plus he got to meet Jewel Staite last year [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, 11 or 12 seems like a good bottom line to me. Depends on the kid though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not even the morals I'm worried about. I honestly have problems figuring out what the moral issues are in Firefly. It's the violence that would make me a bit unsure. I don't care how much violence there is in other tv shows or movies, kids shouldn't see it.

Totally an opinion thing, though.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What do you think about kids seeing LOTR?

Hey, I just got done going through the preview a frame at a time, and it *looks* to me like there is a scene where River kicks Simon in the face. I could be wrong--the camera is situated such that we have a 3/4 view of the back of his head, with just a sliver of his face visible, but it looks like him to me. They're onboard Serenity, just outside the dining/gun cleaning area. The shot immediately follows "oh god oh god we're all going to die". Teshi, does that look like Simon to you?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rav
Member # 7595

- posted      Profile for rav           Edit/Delete Post 
Porter: I think it's the music. That music will not be in the movie. At least it doesn't fit the scene at all. I don't have any worries.
Edit: Taking another look without sound, I notice that they sped up the framerate there too, that scene will be a touch slower in a couple places as well. It's all very River like.

[ April 26, 2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: rav ]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yes it does! The scene immediately following seems to also show Kaylee and possibly Simon.

Lord of the Rings is actually less graphic, or at least, less evilly grusome. I'm thinking of that specific scene in Aria(e?)l which is particularly grusome- it's not so much the amount of death or blood, although that does factor in, but the cruelness.

However, I wouldn't show LOTR to anyone younger than, say, ten, because of the sheer amount of death.

EDIT: I like the scene when the reaver comes up behind Mal and he turns because if you watch, you can see Jayne also getting up to shoot.

[ April 26, 2005, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I noticed that too. I picked up *so* much more when I watched the thing frame by frame. Not that that's a surprise.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I do the frame-by-frame thing a lot for movie trailers... [Blushing]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out why Adam Baldwin is so much hotter in the trailer: he seems intelligent.

Not that the gun-waving is itself, but that look he was giving Mal when he was saying that River was a danger only to them - it wasn't angry, it wasn't stubborn, and it wasn't childish: it was a serious assesment. Very nice.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jayne is serious a lot of the time, when his money is on the line.

edit: how do I watch it frame by frame?

Ni!

[ April 26, 2005, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

In the full screen mode you can't, much to my irritation. In large screen mode, though, there are little buttons to the right of the progress bar that shows where you are in the trailer. They control frame by frame progression through the trailer. If you hold them down, though, the trailer will play at normal speed, which is handy for skipping through the parts with nothing of interest to see.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a shot of EARTH in there.
Also, Mal is really hot.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
So, uh, someone wanna explain what Serenity is, and why I haven't heard about it until now?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Alcon, you've never seen Firefly?

You fail at geek.

See firefly, then you'll understand about Serenity.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*rolls eyes*

I'd hardly call not watching any TV cause I'm permanantly attatched to my computer screen failing at geek [Razz]

Sides I don't have cable every other week, cause my dad doesn't.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Firefly isn't on TV [Razz]

It was on for one season, back in 2002. However, the DVD set has been insanely popular since it was released shortly thereafter, and the show has a huge following.

I'll loan you mine if you promise to watch all the episodes [Big Grin] (there aren't that many, unfortunately).

I can semi-understand not having watched firefly ever, but not having heard of it? Have you just been isolating yourself from the cultured geeks [Wink] ?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid Dialup. The trailer is only *opens fingers*

*thismuch*

loaded up. [Frown]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too sm.

[Frown]

I don't think it's even worth waiting.

*kicks computer*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm about to go through frame by frame.
Over on the Buffistas site there's this guy named Jeff who specializes in describing previews and previously-ons shot by shot. He promises to have a breakdown of the Serenity trailer posted tomorrow. I'll link to it when he does. With a big ol' spoiler warning, because I'm sure it will be very spoileriffic.

Very much liked the trailer. I already knew about some of the slight changes from the TV show, so nothing was a huge surprise to me. LOVED Chiwetel Ejiofor's character. He should be interesting. About to watch it again. And again and again and again... [Big Grin]

[ April 26, 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I make the time pass quicker looking at the stills. it's almost done!!!

Oh, and was that Earth in the planet shots? Maybe we'll figure out what's behind the "Earth-that-was" stuff.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Links to download the trailer, including the fullscreen version, can be found here.

Just sayin'.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I did some of the shot by shot look. It looks hip. Sadly, no Book so far. Also, it looks like Serenity gets some guns...which is kind of sad, because I liked the idea of the ship flying around without guns. Not sure why, since everyone inside is armed to the teeth...still.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

The new photo gallery on the official site (www.serenitymovie.com) has a shot of Book. He's there, all right.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I felt a little wistful for the lack of guns days myself. I hope that Serenity's being outfitted with them will be a plot point (and figure that it will be; I doubt Serenity lacked guns because FOX didn't want a spaceship to have them.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I didn't notice the guns, but it's makes me sad. I liked the fact the ship wasn't armed. [Frown]
Noemon
Member # 1115

You see them firing in closeup. It's possible that they aren't actually on Serenity, but the editing suggests that they are.

Serenity's cargo bay door got a paint job, I noticed.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
*jumps up and down excitedly*

OOOOOHHHHH I am so excited! OMG OMG OMG!!! *Does Homer Dance shaking hands*

One question: Did they decide to put sound effects in space? I hope not. I hope what sounds like engines is the music or cut just for the trailer.

What do you all think?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, in the opening shot they're definitely within the planet's atmosphere, given the reentry style flames licking at the ship. The second shot, where we see the ship's trail, *might* be in very high atmosphere, but it doesn't really look like it.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Follow up question: It says in the trailer that there are SIX Rebels on the run.

I count 9 characters on Serenity. One shot show 7 of them with only the sis and bok missing, but we knwo sis is with them.

*leaves to ponder a bit*

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Inara's not exactly a rebel, Book seems off the ship (though he's definitely in the movie, and we find out more about him), and River's somebody they're transporting, not one of them, exactly, at least as the trailer presents it.

Even were we to consider Inara one of the "rebels", we could by a similar logic to River then consider Simon not one of the "rebels".

Teshi
Member # 5024

I would say that Simon was a rebel and that Inara was not.

[ April 27, 2005, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, Inara most definitely isn't. She supported the alliance during the war, and continues to do so. She's dipped her toe into the waters of crime, but she isn't a rebel.
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
...her dainty, little toe. (sigh)

(runs off to watch the DVD's again)

Actually, before I go, I wasn't even thinking about the guns firing at the start of the trailer. Later in the trailer as Serenity is weaving through that mass of ships, there are what appear to be two long gun-like protrusions off the front of the ship. They aren't in all shots so I see it as some mid-movie jury rigging. I bet they added sound effects for the space shots...I can't see the studio letting them be all quiet and cool in space shots at a movie theatre where BOOMS are the needed quantity for such films.

(now runs off)

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I know something major about Book in the movie that I really wish I didn't know. However, if anyone wants to know, feel free to email me or IM me and I'll tell you.

[ April 27, 2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Tell me!

And tell me how you know, too.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

From posted reviews of people who have seen the advance screening.

PLEASE! Do not post anything here! Even with spoiler warnings. Start a new thread if you must, but don't put it in here. Too easy to see, even with warnings. There are some serious surprises in the movie and I know more than I want to already.

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Impressions on the trailer:

Oh boy.

Part of me is glad that this film appears to be faithful to the tone and style of the tv show. In fact, I was already sold on it. I adored the six episodes of the show I've seen, so, liking and being familiar with these characters, I'm (and all of us who've seen the show, I guess) are already sold on the movie.

But consider it from the perspective of the average weekend crowd.

-It's campy science fiction
-It does not contain very recognizable actors
-It's campy science fiction

In my opinion it's unlikely this will do well in theaters.

Nor will it score well with critics because I'm guessing the film will ask you to take on faith several aspects and they'll find contemptable those very qualities we admire about the show. I can just imagine them asking"If it's in the future, why, praytell, do they behave like 19th century settlers of the West?" or Ebert just being snide about the whole thing.

But we'll love it anyway. [Big Grin]

(Incidentally, gotta love Chiwetel Ejiofor as the villain [Smile] He's an up and coming actor and he was simply wonder and mesmerizing in the painfully underrated British film Dirty Pretty Things )

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I expect to see different versions of the trailer before the movie hits. You'll see this (fairly action orientated), you'll see more character-driven ones, you'll see commercials pitched to the people with no clue as well as more pitched to existing fans (as this one was).

They've been remarkably skilled at handling the advertising for this so far -- getting half the Internet to happily do the legwork for them -- I can't see them missing any chances to get people in the seats.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Interestingly enough, of the top 10 DVDs in Amazon's Highest Rated list, three of them are cancelled FOX shows. Well, two cancelled and one in limbo.

"Arrested Development" is #6, "Firefly" is #3, and "Wonderfalls" is #1.

I'd really, really like to know what FOX TV execs think when they hear this kind of stuff.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean we might get a Wonderfalls Movie???????????
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd really, really like to know what FOX TV execs think when they hear this kind of stuff.
We're idiots, we must go perform ritual suicide now?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our evil plan is working!!! Mwahaha! *twirls handlebar mustache*
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

quote:
Does that mean we might get a Wonderfalls Movie???????????
Bryan Fuller (co-creator of the show) was considering it, so it's a possibility. As much as I loved Wonderfalls, I don't see it translating well to the big screen. But I'd go see if it they do it. [Smile]

More thoughts on the Serenity trailer:

Simon's shirt when they are all on the bridge looks to me like it is Blue Screen Blue. This brings forth amusing thoughts of what they might digitally add to it.

The scene where River's kicking ass in the bar. Is it just me, or does it look like she's dancing? I can imagine it coreographed to a jukebox or live band. (I mentioned this on another board, and another member promptly dubbed it "ballet-fu". LOVE that term.

Also, someone somewhere commented on the sound in space thing. Maybe this has already been mentioned, but I'm wondering if that was the choice of the trailer editors. Aren't trailers normally edited by the studio, and not the film's producers? I'm really hoping they'll be no sound in space in the actual film, but I can understand if they choose to add sound because that's what movie audiences expect.

Non-spoilery review from last night's Australia advanced screening (which I would have informed you of sooner if I had heard of it). The words "blown away" were used, so the positive reactions keep on coming. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Summer Glau's a ballet dancer, no? She uses it a lot as River on a regular basis, so it's not real surprise that she's using it for beating up people. It does add a very cool look to it, especially with her long hair flying out when she twirls.

[Cool]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOOO!
I can't watch the trailer!
I can't get the plugin to watch it. [Frown]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Yup, Summer is a ballet dancer. So it just might be her dance background having an influence on her movements. I kinda hope it was a concious decision to film it like a dance, though, because that would be cool. I also think it might make the scene look a bit more realistic, because as it is her movements don't have that action hero look.

Eruve, what browser/OS?

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're idiots, we must go perform ritual suicide now?

LOL! Bet THAT would get their *$@!^$ ratings up!
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Firefox.
I tried downloading QuickTime, but it still says I need an updated plugin that's not available. [Grumble]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Some questions answered, as best I can.

Sound in space: I wouldn't assume it, just because it's in the trailer. Same reason I don't expect the twangy guitar music from the show has mysteriously been replaced with techno rock.

The trailer has to grab attention. I expect future trailers to be aimed at specific markets, with different styles.

River's fighting style: From an interview with Summer Glau at about.com:

Was it wire work or what type of training did you do?
They watched me move and they sort of formulated a style that was suited to my body. Being a ballet dancer and the way I move and what’s going to look good on me, and what’s going to look realistic because I do a lot of fighting with these big guys. What was going to make me look like I really had some power and I could really do some damage? So they did sort of a wushu kung-fu kick boxing hybrid on me. I worked so hard and I did pretty much everything myself.

[ April 28, 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
Id go with 10, they already know it all anyway.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.