FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music as a crimestopper?

Author Topic: Music as a crimestopper?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Some places are apparently using classical music to stop crime.
http://www.freenewmexican.com/artsfeatures/10701.html

Some think it's because classical music is soothing, others think it keeps them away because they can't stand the music.

Edited to add:
I would post the article here, but it's "copyrighted". [Wink]

[ April 26, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well *I* thought it was interesting. [Grumble] [Wink]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
See, you need to change the thread title to something like "If the results are good, is it still mind-control?" The last two times I've been at the grocery store they had "hungry like the wolf" on the intercom.o_0
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rav
Member # 7595

- posted      Profile for rav           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to nothing but Jazz and Classical in the car, and I notice that I'm less anxious, and less of a maniac.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Mike Doonesbury do something similar a while back to drive drug pushers off his street?

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The last two times I've been at the grocery store they had "hungry like the wolf" on the intercom.
[ROFL]
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been stressed alot lately and consiquencly have mostly switched from listening to Rock to listening to Country Music.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
It cracks me up when people think of classical music as soothing and relaxing. Some is, like chamber music, but much of it is pretty wild, and gets me kind of worked up.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

If a place started playing loud classical music all the time, I would quit going there. Does that make me a potential criminal? [Wink]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

[Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Hmmm...maybe I'll go mug some old ladies then. I could use a little cash. [Wink]

Seriously though, I think this would only work in public areas. If I were a burgler in a neighborhood, and there was a house with classical music playing, I would think they were well-off upper-class people, who would have more valuables worth stealing. It sounds like a generalization, but it's true.

[ April 28, 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
They'd sure be surprised when the broke into my house, then!

Though, my oboe is actually quite valuable...probably the most expensive thing we own, other than the cars - and more expensive than my brother's first car.

But, I'm not sure a burgler would even notice it.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
But on the actual article - I'm not sure how I feel about it. It kind of makes sense to me that it would work, in that I often feel safer in places that do have classical music playing, though I'm not sure where that perception comes from. Is it because it's familiar and comfortable?

I can also understand the remark about how hearing classical music in, say, a park, could mess with a person's own "soundtrack." We react to different kinds of music in different ways, even beyond the idea of "I like this" or "I don't like that." When music is part of the environment, it does affect how we react to that environment. That's why I can't listen to music and read a book at the same time - I get mixed messages and have been known to completely misinterpret a passage that I'm reading because I'm adding the music to the text.

It's a really interesting article, and I think I'm going to have to read that book, Elevator Music: A Surreal History of Muzak, Easy-Listening, and Other Moodsong. It sounds really interesting.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think MoTab might be more effective.

*sings* "Choose the right, when a choice is placed before you...."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
"On second thought, let's not rob that grocery store. I just can't stand that Sibelius!"
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.