FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are you a punctuation expert?

Author Topic: Are you a punctuation expert?
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a paper tonight, but I'm unsure of the punctuation in this sentence. Any takers?

Fowler suggests that throughout life each person develops a unique master story in which they answer life’s fundamental questions: “Who am I?”; “Where did I come from?”; “Who is in charge?”; “How can I find meaning in my life?”

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Not punctuation, but . . .

"each person" is complimented by "he answers", not "they answer".

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I just noticed that after I posted it. I've reworked it:

Fowler suggests that throughout life each person develops a master story which answers life’s fundamental questions: “Who am I?”; “Where did I come from?”; “Who is in charge?”; “How can I find meaning in my life?”

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely lose the quotation marks--you're dealing with hypothetical quotations, so you don't need the quote marks. I'd also lose the semicolons because it looks awful to have multiple punctuation crammed together.

quote:
Fowler suggests that throughout life each person develops a master story which answers life’s fundamental questions: Who am I? Where did I come from? Who is in charge? How can I find meaning in my life?
My general rule of thumb for punctuation is that it should be used when it helps guide the reader so that they can understand the sentence. It seems to me that the sentence is perfectly clear and understandable without that punctuation, so getting rid of it will improve the aesthetics and readability.

That was probably a lot more of an answer than you wanted, but that's the price you pay for asking editing questions when I'm around. [Wink]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed to hear. I appreciate it [Smile]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
My pleasure. [Smile]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.