FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the deal with flash?

Author Topic: What's the deal with flash?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So, looking at a bunch of the professional photographer websites--what's the deal with using Flash?

My own view is that flash bites and it's very annoying to encounter in just the website itself. Cartoons are different--that's FINE. But the site itself? Navigation is a pain, loading time is a pain...

I don't get it.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm right there with you.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I think using flash makes it more difficult for people to gank your images off the web.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
animation is woot. i just hate it when people use it in a stupid manner or they use more than is needed.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
ladyday is most correct. Also, there appears to be a bunch of amateur web developers that think they are cool because they can make "professional" web pages in Flash AND get paid for it.
At least, that's my take on it all.

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - I think it is what Ladyday said -- you can't really right-click on a Flash image and choose "save as".

Or it could be that while good photographers, they happen to also not be very knowledgable about web design, and just think it looks "cool" without thiking of possible drawbacks.

If they are actually hiring someone to create their sites, however -- that person should be punished.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the thing. NONE of these guys are doing the pages themselves, they've hired folks to do them.

And gotten flash.

I understand the not grabbing photos things, but jeez.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

You're right.

I was just looking at this one, and at the bottom it does indicate the site was created/designed by a supposed "professional".

However, maybe the customer (the photographer) wanted it that way. If they are appealing to high-end clients only, maybe they figure they are people with the systems to handle Flash okay.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, that site looks pretty nice to me, and the loading times aren't bad at all.

I like flash. I don't think that any page should be made exclusively with flash, but a bit of it can help a lot with visual appeal. I think the attraction of flash is that it's really easy to use. The action script is a piece of cake, and it's fun to make flash movies if you have a decent program like Flash MX.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not like using Flash is a walk in the park. It takes a lot of work to learn it, and those layouts have effects I cannot even begin to know how they are carried out. So much of that program is alien to me.

That being said, I do not like them either. They are often needlessly over complicated and animation usually annoys me.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Austin! Finally decide to visit the 'Rack for a day, did you?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the site that Farmgirl linked. Very clean, and showcased the images well.

The presentation of the text needs some serious work, as well as a static navigation bar, but I like the gallery.

[ April 28, 2005, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

By the way, Jamie -- when I saw the thread title and that is was started by you, I came in assuming it would be a debate about using flash or natural lighting in photographs...... [Big Grin]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who is working with videographers to provide streaming media servers, I agree that Flash is the newest way for would be Web Designers to promote thier skills, so it has become the "in" thing to do.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've visited three sites in the past three days designed with Flash. [Wall Bash] They are so user-unfriendly, I want to kill them! [Mad]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually see no problem using Flash for some effects on the web. Navigation and a splash intro (a short one that can be skipped if you want to) being two of them. The web photo gallery linked was nicely done. I am not a big fan of a site entirely done in Flash. I am pretty sure that most navigation effects that can be done in Flash can be done using CSS nowadays.

Incidently, the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic was the song by Queen. Now that's a theme song.

Flash....ah-ah... Savior of the Universe..

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Graphic design is a weird field. It's 50% fine art and 50% computer skill. (Print design is probably more like 90%, 10%, but we'll stick to web design here)

Professional designers more often than not come from a fine arts background and are into making things pretty. Flash is pretty, and not as code-intensive as CSS. It's not so practical, but art majors have never cared for practicality.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Ambient Light vs. Flash
katharina
Member # 827

I'm fairly practical (now), but I don't think it's because I have a prosaic soul. It's because if I don't, no one will. Rather, someone else will, and I can be impractical and unemployed. I love art and design and cool effects, but if I want an attractive and usable site, the essential qualities have to balance.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Frown] linky doesn't work for me, mack. I mean, it takes me to Mad Owl, but to some page that says "you do not have permission to view this topic"

FG

mackillian
Member # 586

o_O

That's odd. I wonder if I have it so that you have to register to see it. Lemme check.

mackillian
Member # 586

Okay, try now.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, when I have a business I am making millions at and decide to re-design my website, I'm going to buy you so you can do it for me. All you will have to do will be design my website and maybe some other projects now and then, and I will buy you a house and give you an annual stipend. Just because I like the way you think and work. You can spend the rest of your time holding down another job, or starting your own business, or whatever. And you won't have to live in that scary stairwell. [Wink]

I have such an active fantasy life.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I woke up the sound of cop cars this morning. No gun shots, though. Still safe! [Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

*snort*

Last night someone was setting off firecrackers. Nathan wanted to know if it was some sort of celebration day.

"No."

"Well, then it isn't good to set them off."

"Just be glad it isn't gunshots."

Nathan=o_O

Actually, the problem around here is modified motorcycle pipes. They're incredibly loud and really get LOUDER with all the buildings around. Ear-piercing. [Frown]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Flash is one of the funnest programs I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. The fun part is figuring out how to do something. Putting it up on the web is just a byproduct. I think the use of Flash as a straight design medium is in decline, and a big cause of that is that many of the cool tricks have been figured out and put to use in websites already. There's nothing more to one-up.

I personally love a well-made website done in Flash. I agree that little pop-up windows and counter-intuitive navigation are a big negative. But that's the designer, not the program. I've seen many more straight HTML pages that suck much, much worse. I love a site that is more of an experience than just a collection of more or less static pages. I like it when the designer takes time on the details that make the site seem alive and responsive. Most of the best-designed sites I've seen in the past 5 years have used Flash as a significant element. Flash offers so many ways to really personalize what goes up on the screen and to rethink the whole presentation paradigm of the web. It appeals to my more adventurous side.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Flash is the nickname of Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade

GO heat! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

mack.

I don't know if I'm registered at MadOwl forums or not (it doesn't seem to like anything I try). So I'm going to post my question here in response to your thread there on ambient light vs. flash.

I like your tip about slowing the shutter speed to allow natural light to also affect a flash photograph.

But I was always told we can't "hand hold" below 1/30th of a second due to shutter shake (from our own heart beat and breathing, etc.) So how can you use 1/15th and still get decent photos?

Farmgirl

mackillian
Member # 586

I know, I got the same advice as well. I shot experimenting awhile before I used the technique at bobndana's wedding.

*shrug*

I wonder if it has to do with the combination of flash/shutter speed/ISO?

The other thing could be when you look at the photograph VERY CLOSELY you'd be able to see the blur that reveals camera shake.

Except that's what I used to get into arguments with my photography professor with (for the one entire semester I took photography). She'd put her nose TOUCHING the photograph and then look at it. I'd say she was breaking the rule and you're supposed to look from it as far away as the diagonal length of the picture.

We got into a number of spats. I swore at her once when she committed a darkroom sin by walking into the darkroom and FLIPPING ON THE LIGHTS without checking to see if anyone was there. It exposed an entire box of my paper. She replaced it. [Smile]

Another time we brought in prints for her to grade. She looked at my set and told me, "It's too dark. You exposed it too long."

"I want it that way."

"It's wrong."

"I can produce prints the way YOU want them, but I'm the artist and this is my expression."

"They're still printed too dark."

Whereupon I brought out my second set from my folder that I had printed the way she wanted them. [Big Grin]

She was very upset that I didn't take another course, but I couldn't fit any more photography into my schedule.

I should email or or something, now that I think of it.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, I'm definately going to try your tip next time I'm in a low-light situation and see what I get.

I'm not as good yet on my new digital camera, as far as figuring how to make it let me adjust things manually, like the shutter speed, than I was on my old SLR -- but I know it can do it. I just need to get around to reading that darn manual that came with it (I hate reading instructions).

Farmgirl

mackillian
Member # 586

I found it so very hard to change from an SLR to a point and shoot digital that I ended up selling the point and shoot and investing in the dslr. Best investment I've made I think. Well, one of them. [Razz]

Reading professional photography boards is crazy though. They're Very Against the Canon Digital Rebels and thinks anyone who uses them is an amateur no matter what. *mutter* Well, if I could afford a better camera, then I'd get a 20D or a Mark II, but I can't. Yet. [Mad]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.