FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Has anyone read/heard of this book?: Tales of the Dark Crystal

Author Topic: Has anyone read/heard of this book?: Tales of the Dark Crystal
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I found this book on Amazon by accident. Here's the link.
Tales of The Dark Crystal on Amazon

There is only one review and that is by the author. It's even more appealing because it is so...mysterious. [Dont Know]

That doesn't mean it's good...but other stand alone books that a lot of people haven't heard of are good. Ex. The Neverending Story, Inkarri.

BTW, there's a movie called "The Dark Crystal" but I don't think they're related.

So, if anyone knows anything about it...please tell post. [Smile]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. When the only person who writes a review for a book is the author herself, and that review is one of the most painful things you've ever read, you can bet the book won't be that great. But that's just my opinion.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
How is it ethical to rate your own book?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...those are two good points.

And they have the nerve to charge over twenty dollars! [Mad]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Fitz, that review has to be one of the worst things I've ever read.

Published by Authorhouse....a POD self-publishing house. Imagine that!

Just because you CAN pay someone to publish your book, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I own only one POD book - Monster Rules. And it was worth every penny. But there's no way I'd pay over $20 for a paperback from some unknown.

[ April 28, 2005, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
That review made me giggle. I'm a nasty, mean person. [Wink]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
"Thee are thinking"

Gah! Try "thou art." If the book if anything like the review (which is undoubtedly is), then it's probably nigh unreadable.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
If the book is anything like the cover, it will strip your eyes from your head. As for me, I'm glad I can touch-type.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like possibly the worst thing ever published.

It reminds me of Communion, where he expects you to believe that it all happened to him, even though it is sold in teh fiction stand.....and is completely unbelievable.

[ April 28, 2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost want someone to buy it just to see if it has any sort of Eye of Argon-esque potential.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, Ryuko, are you judging a book by its cover? [No No]

[ROFL]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Authorhouse is in my hometown!

Not that I'm being irrelevant or anything...

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the distinct feeling that someone's replied to me in this thread, though there is no longer any way for me to see.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

"If the book is anything like the cover, it will strip your eyes from your head. "

LOL. The cover art is kind of weird. Is that a bear in the upper corner? You know what? Next time I'm at Borders I'm going to see if I can find it just so I can find anything about it.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Book covers designed in MS Paint. How amusing.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
No idea about the book, Carl, but I just wanted to say that I dig your name. It's been a few years since the last time I read The Neverending Story; it may be time to pick it up again.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Carl - I'm curious.

Do you have a connection with this author - or are you the author yourself trying to get feedback without admitting who you are?

It seems strange that you have come here with so few posts, started a thread about an obscure book none of us is likely to have heard of, and keep posting comments to keep us talking, like bringing up the price thing.

The other possibility as I see it is you are working on a paper about why people don't buy books that are self-published and you're fishing for comments from us to use in the paper.

Now, if I'm off base, I apologize, but this does seem curious.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

To Belle:

LOL. What a tangled web we weave! No. I really am not the author and I don't know her. Besides, it was published over ten years ago. Why would I wait until now? I thought that since this forum is based on an author, I thought I'd find well-read people and that maybe someone had read it (no such luck [Roll Eyes] ).

And as for the length of the thread I actually thought I'd get only one or two replies. I'm not writing a paper. [Taunt]

Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

To Saxon:

Sorry, forgot to mention. I love The Neverending Story! THAT'S a book you Hatrackers might consider reading.

[ May 01, 2005, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Carl Conrad Coreander ]

His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And that is how this book was written ... Tales of the Dark Crystal is an adventure whose aim is to enchant and provoke the reader. A smattering of philosophy will be encountered within these pages in an effort to nourish the spirit. It is not a story for children, the species within these pages do have libidos after all.
Sounds saucy! [Big Grin]
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I WAS going to be the Hatrack guinea pig and request it from my library system... but out of almost a hundred towns in the network, not a single library owns a copy of this one. They've got a couple copies of "Tale of the Dark Crystal" by Donna Bass, which from the description is either a novelization of the movie or the source that Henson worked from.

[ April 29, 2005, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
For all you Dianne Gillard fans, she's also the illustrator in this book:

The Duck and the Fox: A Metaphysical Fairy Tale

You can no doubt see how her covers are showing a certain level of maturity as an artist.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

Dianne Gillard fans? Do you think there IS such a thing? [Dont Know]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How is it ethical to rate your own book?
She was honest about it, so I see no ethical problem.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.