FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bra Shopping!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bra Shopping!!!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm resigned to the fate of mail order bras. I'm too large for standard bras here, which come in A and B cup sizes. I havent' seen a single bra over a 34B.

Sigh.

Even when I was skinny, my breasts were far larger than that. You know the kind - men look like deer stuck in headlights. [Big Grin] So, to mail order shopping! Onwards and upwards, ho!

Other than Victoria Secret, which has a limited selection in the larger sizes, where else would you suggest buying bras via mail order?

I'm not looking for sexy lingerie, but I'm also not looking for ugly grandma underwear either. Functional and attractive would be nice. [Big Grin]

Suggestions?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
JenniK, as I mentioned in teh other thread, loves Layne Bryant.... Here is their web site.

I have no idea what size you are, but JenniK likes their selection, adn she is larger than a DD.....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm astonished. There actually IS a topic on which I have no opinion.

Yet ... I was still able to find a reason to speak. The pathology of the compulsive conversationalist knows no bounds.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate shopping for bras... [Mad]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[ROFL]

Since you are the founder of Hatcrack, I have no sympathy for you.

[ April 29, 2005, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, thanks. I'm checking out the website, and yep, they do have larger than DD, which makes me very very happy. And I can even shop by size, so I don't have to waste my time looking at styles that don't have a hope of fitting.

Now if I could only narrow down the selections automatically by eliminating all that aren't underwire...

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yep, Hatrack is alive and well and posting a half dozen replies in the time it takes me to type two sentences and hit reply. [Dont Know]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lane Bryant's sister catalog is Roaman's. Some overlap in selection, but I generally buy from both (and to a lesser degree from the other catalogs in the family).

The other online place I like to shop for bras is Breakout Bras. I particularly like their search-by-size (see link) function. I imagine they will ship outside the US and Canada, although the free shipping will not apply. [Wink] The website actually belongs to a lingerie store in South Carolina, and you can call or email them to see what shipping costs might be.

They have GREAT customer service (they once arranged to change the shipping address at the last minute at no charge, so I could have the bra in time, even though I was not at home), and I have been very happy with them.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had good luck with the Hanes catalogue, don't know if they do online.

The only bras I've bought online are Motherhood brand nursing bras, and I don't think you need those. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

www.onehanesplace.com
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's it. Rivka is teh awesome. [Kiss]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*grin* Rivka shops there -- although mostly at www.jms.com, their plus-size site. Actually have two catalogs in the other room marked and waiting for me to decide whether I'm really ordering. [Wink]
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too hot in Southeast Asia for bras.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
But when you are a certain size, it is uncomfortable to not wear one.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The world is a happier place when some of us wear bras.

OK, boys? Get it? Now leave.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

No.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Big Grin] Hatrack comes through again. Thanks, everyone, and I'm checking out the links as I type. [Big Grin]
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
This recently came up on another forum I'm on; some of the suggestions there were Elle MacPherson Intimates, Berlei, and Decent Exposures.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The first two of those three don't seem to allow online ordering.
Annie
Member # 295

The boys never do leave, do they? Even when it's totally in their best interest.

I was contemplating starting a thread asking for suggestions regarding re-usable menstrual products, but didn't so much want it accessible on a board that my boyfriend frequents. But even with all the warnings I could stick on it, the boys would still read it! Silly boys.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Maybe we can ask Jonathon for a spot on GalCact, or mack for one on MadOwl. A No Boys Allowed section. [Wink]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, like if we had a thread about mustache care or prostate exams, all the Hatrack ladies would primly stay away. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Sorry about that. Not being in the market myself, I confess I didn't look very closely at those sites, aside from double-checking the size ranges. [Blushing]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Men are not the only ones with mustaches. [Wink]

Your prostates, however, I need know nothing about.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes menstrual products, reusable or otherwise, something of no interest to boys? I predict many of the guys here come in close contact with people regularly using menstrual products, or plan to some day come into such contact, where it would be useful to be acquainted with them.

I'm not easily disgusted, and it always sort of amuses me that we perpetuate these taboos about something being unclean which approximately half the population has undergone/will undergo/is undergoing at regular intervals.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, like if we had a thread about mustache care or prostate exams, all the Hatrack ladies would primly stay away
I can safely assure that I will do my very best to stay as far away as possible from either one of these topics, should you post it.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm not going to say what I was just going to say. But I thought it!

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm not easily disgusted, and it always sort of amuses me that we perpetuate these taboos about something being unclean which approximately half the population has undergone/will undergo/is undergoing at regular intervals.

You've obviously never had your period. I think unclean is about the nicest thing you can say about it.

Also, what people some people want to be more private about things like this than others, it's your place to decide that for yourself, not for anyone else.

[ April 29, 2005, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
What makes menstrual products, reusable or otherwise, something of no interest to boys?
Oh, I'm sure they're of interest. I just don't want boys to think of me using them.

Of course, it's too late now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*snaps on latex glove* [Evil Laugh]

[ April 29, 2005, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

*shrug*

Unclean in the mental sense, not the physical. Society doesn't act this way about other, much dirtier things.

I've got two sisters and I did ballet for a long time (including being included in many group conversations where I was the only guy), I'm moderately familiar with periods.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Of course people get to decide it for themselves, I'm just saying that the notion guys would or should stay away from discussions about menstrual products seems odd.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, I played flute for 12 years, I feel ya man, I really do.

I make a reasonable suggestion about this topic, and was about to leave....

Until I was ordered to do so. [Big Grin] [Razz]

[ April 29, 2005, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Annie
Member # 295

Kwea! I thought I warned you!
rivka
Member # 4859

Uh-oh! Now you got her mad!

*ducks*

Annie
Member # 295

I don't get mad. I get even.

*turns on a little Celine Dion*

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oww my ears!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Sorry Myr - friendly fire casualty.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

*giggle* [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Don't make me sing "Do your ears hang low" with the x-rated lyrics, ok?

[Big Grin]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Oh wow.... that's quite creepy because my friends and I would sing that same exact version in high school, as an inside joke [Blushing]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Re-usable menstrual products - like the cuppy thing? I saw it on the site sending goods to soldiers that Kayla linked to. Never heard of them before - not sure they're popular here.

Fugu, I completely agree with you. While having my period is not my favourite thing in the world (evidenced by habit for skipping them) I *hate* the societal attitudes that surround them.

And don't even get me started on everyday panty-liners marketed at 14 years olds so you can be fresh every day!

*ugh*

I personally have no issue with Tony knowing I menstruate. He buys tampons and pads for me. And nurofen. And sometimes chocolate.

It's just part of being a woman - and its the part of me that means we will be able to have children someday. Nothing icky about that.

Okay, that was a slight derail. Sorry folks. The Lane Bryant site looks pretty good - might have to do some ordering myself.

Edit: oooh! This one! I have been looking for a low cut bra for *ages*.

*twinkle*

Thanks Hatrack!

[ April 29, 2005, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It IS icky. It FEELS icky. I feel bloated, crampy, sometimes unable to get up; backaches, headaches, joint aches; general irritability, a tendancy to burst into tears, and best yet, TONS OF BLOOD, INCLUDING PAINFULLY PASSED CLOTS AND MUCOUS, RUNNING DOWN MY LEG WHENEVER I LAY DOWN AND CURL UP IN THE ONLY POSITION THAT'S AT ALL COMFORTABLE! Which, of course, means I get to clean some more. Goody.

How is that not icky and gross?

imogen
Member # 5485

Ok, it's icky in that it feels icky. (Though nurofen and chocolate do help. [Smile] )

It's not icky in that it's 'unclean' - as in impure, untouchable connetations, unfeminine or unnatural.

It's natural. It's necessary. (Though I did read an interesting SF short story about cyclists and shunts recently... but I digress).

I guess I mean is it isn't taboo, or unmentionable because of its nature. Women shouldn't be embarrassed by it.

I tend to think sometimes that the way society portrays menstruation, the perceived ideal must be for every woman to have moulded plastic, barbie doll style instead.

Edit: Your symptoms sound *way* more painful than mine. [Frown] Have you considered any drugs or anything to help? I know some versions of the pill can regulate heavy periods and cramping.

That does sound horrible, ketchup queen. And I'm not trying to belittle your experiences. Rather just to suggest that menstruation is perfectly natural and normal. And happens to over half the population of the world.

[ April 29, 2005, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww c'mon guys. If ya wanna (title) flash your headlights, ya gotta expect the bucks to stop and stare.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Though I did read an interesting SF short story about cyclists and shunts recently... but I digress
I read that story! It sounded good to me! As long as it's not anything like a tampon-- they make my cramps much worse. >_<

I can't take any kind of hormonal bc, even low dose, because of a personal and family history of extreme low blood pressure and a family history of strokes while on hormonal bc.

As for other treatment, I don't have a doctor, health insurance, or money. I have a prescription painkiller, which I love; in conjunction with ibuprofen, it does completely stop the cramps. It's lovely, but I can't take it while nursing, so I have a substitute right now.

The substitute is not as good.

[ April 29, 2005, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

imogen
Member # 5485

[Frown]

What a bugger of a situation.

I personally think that healthcare related to menstruation should be free. And all related products should be *heavily* rebated by the Government.

But it's not gonna happen.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It will when I finish biding my time and openly reclaim my place as Queen of the Universe...

Oh. That's a secret plan.

Sorry, now I'm going to have to kill you all.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

And I've taken nearly every form of the pill available, and had the shot (depo-provera), none of which helped me. Even had exploratory surgery to find out what was going on when the ultrasounds were inconclusive. There's nothing physiologically wrong with me except for major hormone imbalances which mean incredibly bad periods. At least this month, I didn't throw up (why don't we have a barfing graemlin?) At least I'm finally in perimenopause, so I'm in the home stretch. It'll finally be over. In a few more years.

On to the original topic, I checked out the links - thanks to all for providing them. [Big Grin] I've found a few bulletproof bras that look like they have more than adequate support, but I'm not sure that I want to carry around an extra few pounds in bra. And wouldn't they be hot? [Dont Know]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Cotton bras, even fortresses of cotton bras, can be more breathable than some others, especially if everything you're wearing is cotton. Of course, some people say the opposite. That's my opinion, though, and I'm sticking to it.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.