FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bra Shopping!!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bra Shopping!!!
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can sew straight and zig zag....ponders for a minute, nah! I'll buck up.

Thanks to you both for the info..I don't feel any more brave though.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quid, I didn't have to get naked to be sized. In fact, the fitters can usually give me opinions on the fit of the bra through my shirt.

The VS seamless bra is nice, but the materieal is REALLY REALLY warm, and it also stretches a bit. The Secret Embrace, I think it's called.

I need to pick up another couple of bras...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] pH

You just made my day. I think I'll just wear a tight shirt layered underneath something and hope for the best?? I could do THAT.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
So rivka, do you just walk in and ask to be fitted for a bra...

Sure. Or, you can just walk into the bra place looking awkward. [Wink] And when they ask if you'd like help, admit you're not sure what size you need.

Actually, IME, even when you tell them what size you want, unless they think you're right on target, they'll suggest a fitting. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
[Kiss] pH

You just made my day. I think I'll just wear a tight shirt layered underneath something and hope for the best?? I could do THAT.

Yeah, I usually just either wear a close-fitting tank top under a jacket or a small-ish tshirt. It only took them about 15 seconds to do the actual measuring (at VS), and then they asked me what kind of bra I was looking for, and they brought me about ten different ones to try.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had issues being fitted at VS because they don't have any sizes over DD, and not lots of that, they'll just tell you those.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I've had professional fittings, and the more recent one was completely wrong. The lady put me into a bra with a too-big band and a too-small cup. So, um, you know, they don't always know what they're doing. Luckily, I know what it's supposed to fit like...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(My husband thinks it is hilarious that I'm so uncomfotable with being fitted for a bra since I've had 3 children...maybe they could give me some drugs to cope with the discomfort?)
The only reason childbirth isn't more embarrassing is because you're in pain and you'll do whatever it takes to get it over with.

Maybe if they gave you drugs that caused you pain that would only go away with the proper-fitting bra ... that would help. [Smile]

[ October 12, 2006, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: JennaDean ]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Ya JennaDean, that would be helpful as long as they carried the proper size [Wink]

The spelling in that post you quoted is offending my eye...sorry for blinding you with it. It's corrected in the original (I hope).

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe if they gave you drugs that caused you pain that would only go away with the proper-fitting bra ... that would help.
They have those. They're called large breasts. [Wink]

And the pain really does go away with a properly fitted bra.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Spelling? What spelling? [Wink]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, I was looking for something else entirely and came across a page with info on sweing bras. Here are two links from it--sounds like you totally know what you are doing already, and have probably read similar if not the same info, but thought I'd pass it along just in case:

Article from Threads magazine on bra-making.

Underwire and Bra FAQs (not formatted nicely and a lot extraneous stuff, but looks like lots of detailed info)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Uprooted, I've come across both of those before and read them - fantastic information in both. [Smile] Thanks for reminding me to re-read them - I'll probably learn a bunch of stuff all over again. [Wink]

And, no, I don't know what I'm doing already. I'm just willing to go ahead and do it anyway. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
ummm, thank you for your restraint in not asking what "sweing bras" are! [Wink]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

I think sweing bras must be very uncomfotable.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Went to Victoria's Secret tonight and was fitted for a bra...with my shirt on (tight with the layered) and it worked fine. I was happy/a little surprised to find out that I've been purchasing the correct size of bras over the years!

Thank you for your encouragement and help.

I LIVED!!! and I have two new bras. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

So*, I am, if nothing else, the queen of procrastination. I have not yet sewed my own bra. I have not located underwires, nor have I had any made.

Within the last month, my last two underwire bras have decided to die.

One, which had a great fit - perfect fit, even - used the wrong fabric for the construction. Too stretchy, so not enough support. Well, the lace is giving way and, well, it's just not worth attempting to fix.

However, because the actual fit is perfect, I can take it apart and use it for a pattern. Then I really will have a perfectly fitting bra. [Big Grin] And the underwires in that one are still intact, so I'm going to use them in making another bra.

My second bra... The fit wasn't as good, but what the hay, it was fairly close. But then, three days ago, one underwire snapped. Then today, the other one went. >_<

I'm now desperate.

I did manage to find one non-underwire bra that fits reasonably enough that I bought it - and that's a whole other story, in and of itself - although it's not comfortable and doesn't have the support I want, and it tends to make my boobs into sausages. Still, it'll do me for now.

So, I found a few places online that will sell underwires and ship 'em out. So, that's what I'm going to do. Sometime in the next couple of days. I just have to figure out the proper underwire size first. But luckily, one of the sites had a printable page that I could use to compare to my existing underwire to find out its size. Only I've lost that page, so I'll have to hunt it down again. :grr:

So*. That's where it stands. Or droops. As the case may be. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
How long will it take to get the stuff you need shipped to Sri Lanka?

(you could always, ya know, stand on your head in the meantime!) [Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] Yeah, lovely imagery there, Farmgirl. [Razz]

I dunno. A week or two?

I'll have to order channelling for the underwire, too. As I'm taking this bra apart (I need to photograph it - my memory being as lousy as it is - so I can make sure I construct the new one in the proper sequence with the proper details) I've discovered that the channelling is multilayered. It's also why the underwire in this bra never poked through, which has in other bras with cheaper channelling. I want to get me the good stuff.

I also discovered that I may not be able to recycle these underwires after all. Inside the channelling, holding the underwire in place (another reason it never poked through, I'm guessing), was some black sticky stuff. I'm really really really not sure what it is. The other bra I disassembled didn't have it. I'm wondering if the underwire was glued into the channelling before the channelling was sewn into place or something like that. [Dont Know] Or, yeah, I dunno.

Anyway, what I need should be a fairly small package, light enough and small enough that it should (hopefully) land here direct without going through customs.

Meanwhile, I can still get everything else ready and maybe make a bra or two using the cups from this soon-to-be-disassembled bra and the the non-underwire bra pattern that my sister brought me.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.