FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » IVORY BILL WOODPECKERS!

Author Topic: IVORY BILL WOODPECKERS!
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
ASTOUNDING! This bird is not extinct after all! woodpecker
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

bump.

Is nobody even going to say WOW?

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the all-caps is turning people off.

It's cool and all, but I just can't get that excited about it. Sad, since at one point I was pretty confident I wanted to be an ornithologist when I grew up.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

Didn't mean to offend with the caps, but I was actually shouting when I heard about this. I got EXCITED. Maybe most people don't realize how huge it really is. The only two things that I can think of that might trump it in the ornithological world is if a Passenger Pigeon or a Dodo were found.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the news story; this is very, very, very cool. I don't even like birds all that much, and this is cool.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
My former biology teacher at my high school was incredibly excited about this when I passed her in the hallway.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
super super cool -

there's hope after all, hrm??

[Big Grin]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
It is wonderful news. I'd heard about sightings over the last year or so though, so although I was pleased with the news I wasn't surprised... It would be awesome to see one, in real life.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband talked about this all day yesterday. [Big Grin] Apparently searching for this bird was a hobby of his when he was a kid, plus his parents own land now in Arkansas, so he's really excited about it. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so awesome! All woodpeckers are beautiful birds, but their cousins the Pileated Woodpeckers are simply breathtaking. Sadly, over the last 30 years we've gone from seeing the Pilated ones often to seeing them never, in the woods behind our house. There are still many in the deeper woods of Alabama, though.

We've been hoping to see Ivory Billed woodpeckers, who are reported to be even more gorgeous, for all that time, and thought they were extinct. Perhaps one day with good conservation efforts we may see some here after all. What a beautiful morning of the world that would be! I would feel as though I had been transported from this world back into Middle Earth, or the land of the rainbow goblins, or into Eden.

May the human species take this as a sign from Nature that we are granted a reprieve, and could even someday be forgiven of our terrible crimes, if we can find a path toward a change of heart, and learn a better way to be.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty cool and I'm not even an environmentalist.

I wonder if they're still officially labled "Extinct" or if they're on the Endangered Species list yet.

If they're "Extinct" then it's not illegal to shoot 'em.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I danced in my chair when I read this story yesterday. [Smile] I just hope not too many people go down there to try to see it, and end up distrupting them and causing harm. I'm sure the population is fragile.

Oh, I wish I was still in biology, though, or could somehow get a job in conservation. This has got to be some of the most exciting news to have come up in quite some time.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixiest, you're a hoot.

This is cool - but the article only had renderings - I wanna see a picture of a real one.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I was disappointed by that too, Belle. If they're alive again why can't we see a picture instead of a painting? Maybe one sitting on a fence post or something so we could get an idea of how big it is and everything...

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time I've seen a picture of a woodpecker that looked anything like Woody the Woodpecker.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

For those who wanted to see a picture. If you go to the link, there is a video that accompanies it. It is on the right side of the page. Click on it. You have to sit through a commercial, but the video segment is pretty cool. They got comments from the guys who videotaped it and then the actual footage. It's not a closeup or a still, but you can see the bird flying away from the camera. Maybe three or four seconds of actual bird footage. Like I said, though, no stills as of yet, so it might be some time before we get a quality picture.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The video also contains some old footage of one close up.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they're "Extinct" then it's not illegal to shoot 'em.
[ROFL]

This made me laugh out loud, Pix. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We have Piliateds, I think two mating pairs within our property, and MPH they do look like Woody, though never as much as I wanted when i was a little kid.

When I got home last night, the first thing my dad said was about the Ivory Billed, apparently they'd shown a video on the news, which was like the only video taken of them ever.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, that's awesome, I've seriously dreamed of seeing this bird since I was a little boy.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this the same bird that played a tiny but key role in Piers Anthony's In the Shade of the Tree?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else think Ivory Bill Woodpeckers sounds like a pirate?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Or a pirate's nemesis, perhaps?

This is wonderful news!

Or a sign of the apocalypse.

I'll let you know.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chipmunk
Member # 7975

- posted      Profile for Chipmunk           Edit/Delete Post 
CBS' 60 Minutes is scheduled to do a segment on this today (16-Oct-2005):
quote:
The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker hadn’t been seen in 60 years until it turned up on the front pages of newspapers when birdwatchers claimed to have spotted it. Ed Bradley talks to the team searching for the bird long thought to be extinct.
I first read this thread (yup, been lurking for half a year) right after our local bird club's first post announcement trip, and this was the #1 topic of (very happy) discussion. For those of you worried about a stampede of birders, fear not! The consensus was the site was too remote and dangerous for any but the most, um, let's call them "focused" birders. [Smile]

When I saw this thread that evening, the all caps didn't even register. Instead my first thought was something along the lines "let me get this straight: pretty much everyone here reads books, are fans of one of my favorite authors, and a bunch of them are birdwatchers?!? definitely my kind of people!". [Smile]

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Well . . . this information has been out long enough that they have published books about it. So it is exciting, but a little belated.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.