FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don't Panic! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Don't Panic!
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe the day is finally here. I thought the dream of a Hitchhiker Guide movie woul die with Douglas Adams. I didn't even know a movie was coming out until Feb. (6 years in the military will do that to you.) I'm bursting with joy. Hold on one sec....
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that's better. As a kid I had three movies I wanted to see but doubted would ever see the light of day. Two have already become movies. They're the Lord of the Rings and the Hitchhikers Guide. Surely Enders game will complete my Holy trilogy. I'm not worried, I know where my towel is.

Post thoughts on the movie here...

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic and I are going this afternoon. [Smile] My towel is in my truck.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I am extremely excited to see it. Unfortunately, I promised to take my girlfriend to see it after forcing her to read the book, which means I can't see it until next weekend, after finals are done. Blast! Why are some folks so enamored of this "studying" idea. [Wink]

I guess I'll have myself a stiff Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster and wait it out.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
I went and saw the midnight showing early this morning (and I had to be at work by 7 am!)
The movie is amazing.
They definately take some liberty with it and go places that I don't remember happening in any of the books though I havne't read salmon of doubt so maybe they pulled it from there. But the movie is visually spectacular and they keep the dry brittish wit throughout the movie, it had a large chance of collapsing into a slapstick movie and didn't.
I was glad I sacrificed my health and sleep to see it!

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My towel is in my truck.
Hey, you sass that hoopy ElJay? I sass ElJay. There's a frood who really knows where her towel is.

(I crack myself up sometimes. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
My towel is sitting next to my stuff, and will be in my truck within the next 20 minutes. I'm going to go see it this afternoon with a bunch of my friends. Hopefully will be awesome!

[ April 29, 2005, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Mr.Funny ]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't get excited about this movie. Don't get me wrong...I loved the books. I just can't imagine that Hollywood is going to do this right. So...perhaps if I set my expectations REALLY low then I'll enjoy the movie.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
The Beloved and I are going tonight. We have a sitter lined up and everything.

I really want a loud-colored, tight T-shirt with "Hoopy Frood" written across the boobies.

I think it's a sign I'm having my Geek Mid-Life Crisis. O_O

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you all hear? The opening has been cancelled and all copies of the Movie have been destroyed, citing that the author was already dead. [Eek!]
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really want a loud-colored, tight T-shirt with "Hoopy Frood" written across the boobies.

Sign me up. [ROFL]
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Popcornbaby
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for Popcornbaby   Email Popcornbaby         Edit/Delete Post 
None of my friends want to go with me. The only one who's read it is afraid of seeing it and having the book ruined for her. I might be going alone... [Frown]
Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I really don't understand the concept of a movie *ruining* a book. The book is still there, just as it was before.

The movie could suck, but it won't change the hours of geeky fun I had reading the books.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one case where "true to the book" uptightness is just ironic. It was a radio play and a mini-series before it was a book. I mean, you clearly haven't read the preface to the leather bound trilogy edition with bonus novella "young Zaphod plays it safe".

Then he had to go and write a fourth one...

He says something about setting the history straight, or at least firmly crooked.

I want to go but not sure... probably will wind up going with my mom tonight.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Give me a couple hours and the Hoopy Frood shirt might be a possibility...
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie and I are on the same page. I'm just sitting her trying to imagine if it would be better done all in embroidery, or appliqued. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

O_O Wow, Annie. That would make you the queen of the hoopy froods. [Hail]
Annie
Member # 295

As soon as I get to work and a high-speed connection, it can be done.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

LOL, Belle! YOU certainly know where your towel is!

I wonder if they'd let me in with a hand towel soaked in coke if I kept it in a plastic bag.

*quietly sucks towel*

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a radio show, five+ books, a TV show, a comic book, a stage play, a Web site, a video game, and a beach towel. Why not a movie?

Just please, please tell me the scene of the crew getting whapped by buried sticks that they keep showing in the commercials is a small and unregarded scene. As a representative sample of the movie, it frightens me.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I looked up the trailers, and I think I liked the Second one best (That should be the one that presented itself as the Guide's entry on Movie Trailers). That was great. Except maybe it's not the best indicator of how good/bad the movie will be.

*continues sucking on towel*

Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with it being a movie... I just don't think Hollywood is going to do it right. Hollywood and british humor usually doesn't mix very well. I hope I'm wrong.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy that, Annie!

Not sure when I'll get a chance to go. Maybe next Saturday, so we can go with our neighbor and her son.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, ooh, I want a hoopy frood tshirt too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that really worries me is the reference to Author as being on a trip to save the galaxy. That completely misses the complete triviality of the series. It's not a "let's save the universe" space opera. Arthur Dent is not the chosen one. He's this completely disregarded, neglible guy who has a bunch of things happen to him. Even when the galaxy is saved from the masters of Krikkit, it's just this thing. If you don't get how insignificant everything is to the people going through it, but at the same time can be terribly important, you miss the flavor of the books.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Orlando Sentinel:
quote:
An early example. The hero, Arthur Dent (Martin Freeman), is arguing with a bulldozer crew about to knock over his house, and he has just been told he should have protested before now because the details of the demolition have been "on display" in his local planning office.

"It was on display. . . in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet. . . stuck in a disused lavatory. . . with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the leopard!' " says Arthur in the book, the radio series, the TV series. Funny.

What's the line in the movie?

"They were in the basement."

This worries me. This happens right at the beginning and, to me, set the tone for the constant banter.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"let's save the universe" space opera.
You know, I think she could.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Alright, all you hoopy froods.

Junior Babydoll
Long-sleeved Junior Raglan
....and a little something for the Dude Froods

The storefront is being a little wonky, but I think following these links directly will take you to the right place. Let me know if they don't.

And wow - I knew there was a reason I was hanging on to that picture of the towel I scanned.

romanylass
Member # 6306

That is majorly cool! I just sold a dress on E-bay for $18, so I can justify it even.
Annie
Member # 295

I wish they'd show the image bigger - the letters are terry-cloth/towel texture, if you can't tell.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You can zoom in on the image - I could see it. Very nicely done. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Ooooooooo!

*hops from foot to foot*

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it, and it was merely alright. Nothing to write home about. There were no major laughs, the acting was mediocre, and sometimes horrible (which was disappointing, because Mos Def and Sam Rockwell are usually great). The movie did pick up at about the halfway point, and some of the special effects were great. I can see how some major fans of the books will be disappointed.

quote:
Just please, please tell me the scene of the crew getting whapped by buried sticks that they keep showing in the commercials is a small and unregarded scene.
'Fraid not. It's probably the scene which is the most played for laughs in the entire movie.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I am physically incapable of wearing a shirt without a pocket.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Nerd.
Annie
Member # 295

I'm also toying with the idea of a Babelfish tshirt. It'll take some illustrating, though.
romanylass
Member # 6306

Porter, does the pocket have a protector? Some pencils and a slide rule?
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it and I don't want to talk about it(but will).

To even complain about ways it strayed from the spirit of the original creations would imply that there were ways in which it stayed true.

It didn't wak the fine line between pleasing old fans and new. It sat and had a picnic lunch on the "new Hollywood action/romance fan" side and occasionally threw scraps of funny over the fence. And by occasionally, I mean twice. Maybe three times. The best lines were neutered. The plot...well, they tried to give it one.

The highights of the movie were the Serenity and Episode 3 trailers.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Hm. Maybe it's for the best that I can't see it tonight like I planned. I don't want to see the Serenity trailer anyway, and I loved the books in elementary school.

[ April 29, 2005, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I actually enjoyed it. It had enough inside jokes to keep me happy. (Ford saying Belgium, The theme music from the tv show, Marvin from the show). I wish I had some 3d glasses, Oh well.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
We saw iton Thursday night. The sound cut out and we missed the last 20 minutes - which, by that point we didn't really care.

I was very underwhelmed.

But at least we got some free passes out of the deal!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I liked it. I thought it was fun. I knew they wouldn't be able to do everything, and that they'd have to change the structure somewhat to fit the narrative arc of a film as opposed to a book/radio play/computer game/whatever. But what they did do, I thought they did rather well.

Of course, I am a geek.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

lol, you went in a bathrobe? I'd rather be a h2g2 geek than a Star Wars geek anyday. Walking around in a bathrobe is far less strange then being a storm trooper. And alot cheaper.

[ April 30, 2005, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged ]

Member # 7476

All I know is I want one of those mini light saber/automatic bread toasters.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yes, I went in a bathrobe, and jammie pants and slippers, with a towel over my shoulder. [Razz] And went out for dinner and drinks afterwards, too.

And I also really, really covet the bread toaster.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's been too long since I read the books, but I loved it. Yes, it was much more American than the book, but I didn't think it was a bad thing. ElJay said it well: they had to change some things to make it work as a movie, but it worked well and was very enjoyable.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it tonight. There were parts that were better than I expected, and some parts that were worse, so it pretty much evened out.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll echo Jon Boy because I loved it too. There were plenty of giggles all the way through (but then, it doesn't take much for me to giggle) and I really DID feel the triviality of the whole non plot. [Smile] In this case, I think that's how I was supposed to feel.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it quite a bit. I thought it stayed true to the characters and the general overall feeling of the book without being too silly. Zaphod was probably the most hilarious guy in the movie.

Then again, I spoiled myself, and it's ALWAYS smart to spoil yourself when it's something you love.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Then again, I spoiled myself, and it's ALWAYS smart to spoil yourself when it's something you love.
Are you sure about this? Because I love Firefly and I'm relucant to spoil Serenity...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.