FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's official, Indiana moving to daylight savings time

Author Topic: It's official, Indiana moving to daylight savings time
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Indiana passes daylight savings bill

So, what do you think?

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Indiana is taking a giant step backward. We should be abolishing DST in all the other states, not bringing it to states that don't have it.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, it's a pain in the a**. I hate that. I'm a big ecology supporter, but honestly, I'd rather save energy another way.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

But what do you expect, we're the state that elected Mitch "I hate education" Daniels. It's no surprise we're passing other stupid legislation.

[ April 29, 2005, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray, we're unique!

And on a related note, I agree that DST in general is a pain. Anyone have a link to an actual study into the differences in enegry consumption? I'm curious as to whether or not they use a standardized location, and what the other criteria was.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, huh? That's weird; I heard on the news last night that it was defeated.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank goodness. It's about time - now I won't have to have my friends in Indiana calling me to see what time it is so they don't miss their flights out of O'Hare.

Not that I mind talking to them, it just seems so silly to have three different effective time zones (Central w/DST, Eastern w/o DST, Eastern w/DST) in one state. At least now it will be down to two, and the differences (or not) will be consistant.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
It's about time
*rimshot* [Big Grin]

You know, maybe it's because I live in the middle of the state, and not the eastern or western edge, but I just don't care. I hope it's resolved one way or the other now. Pick one, and move on to more important things (like gutting education funding, in the case of our current state government [Razz] ).

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

[Razz]

I posted this is my journal, and it turns out most people are grumpy about it! I don't understand why...do you (or anyone else from IN) have any insight to offer?

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I like having normal time, I think the whole idea of Daylight Savings Time is silly. I agree that it would be great if we were on the same time as everyone else, but that could be easily resolved if all the other states just came to their senses!

I mean seriously, who's bright idea was it to change the time twice every year? How does that make any sense?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Vana: I wish I did; if you want my honest opinion, I suspect that some Hoosiers enjoyed the quality of rarity about not changing (and I certainly haven't missed the changing of the clocks since I've been here). Also, people in the east want to be on eastern time, because of nearby big cities on eastern time, and people in the west want to be on central time (because of Chicago), so there's been debate about which one we'd be switching to (since either way, SOMEONE'S going to be unhappy). I never saw what the big issue was for those of us in the middle of the state, though.

[ April 29, 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I like the idea. A lot. Less complicated, less confusing. I have been told multiple times that it is good for commerce/ businesses because it has been too confusing for businesses to choose Indiana. Maybe that's a rumor. Maybe it's not. I guess we'll see. I'm sick of TV stations changing times twice a year too.

Now, I'd like it better if nobody did DST, but I'd rather go along with the rest of the country.

[ April 29, 2005, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article a while back that talked about actually starting Daylight savings a month earlier and staying on it a month later in order to line up better with sunrise/sunset.

Nowadays, the main benefit of Daylight savings is in energy consumption. We want the majority of the darkness to occur while most of us are asleep and aren't using as much energy for lights, etc.

I'd like to know some actual numbers on that though as to how much it really saves.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

That's about how I see it, Theca. I don't really have an opinion on DST itself, one way or another - I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me - but it would be so much harder for the whole country to change away from it (especially when it's actually almost the entire world that observes it), so the very few remaining states might as well just be standardized. It's a lot simpler and just makes more sense to me.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just logical. More daylight in return for what, a few measly hours of lost/gained sleep? I think it's worth it, personally. But my circadian rhythms aren't bothered, I don't know the opinions of other people.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's awesome. We live in southern Indiana, and are already on daylight savings time. However, towns as close as 20 minutes away are not, so it can be confusing for everyone to make appointments, etc. It's called "fast time" and "slow time" around here.

I experienced daylight savings time for the first time last year while living in Kentucky. I heart it. It's a change, and that's why I think a lot of people are resistant. But a loss of 60 minutes while I'm sleeping on the night it occurs has never seemed a big deal to me. We've got more daylight to enjoy after Mr. Opera gets off work, and that's a huge plus for our family. Hopefully others will like it too once they get used to it. [Smile]

space opera

[ April 29, 2005, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
Good riddance. Of course, I'm coming from the perspective that comes from living around Chicago normally and being in Bloomington for school some of the year.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Indiana should be on DST w/CST. Period.
The whole Eastern time zone thing is just silly.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I only recently moved to Southern Indiana. I spent most of my first few months here trying to figure out what was meant by "fast time" and "slow time" and which places are on "fast time" and which opt for "slow time." Note, I didn't say which "towns" but which "places." Where I live, it is very common for a town to observe DST but for various businesses and homes to refuse the time change.

I worked at a community center. The downstairs recreation area observed DST and remained in the central time zone all year. The upstairs education are did not observe DST and was then on central part of the year but eastern time the other half. It's all very confusing.

I could drive to a town ten minutes away, arrive fifty minutes earlier than when I left, continue driving for ten minutes, drive for ten more minutes and find myself in a different time zone again. I don't really feel strongly about DST one way or the other, I just want the state to have some mandate so that we all do the same thing.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders who katdog is and how far from Louisville s/he is*

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
more daylight
Do people really hold to the assumption that DST gives one MORE Daylight? That's the most absurd thing I've heard.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I ama long time lurker on the board and I actually live about an hour and fifteen minutes away from Louisville in a particularly confused area of southern Indiana.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
It gives me more daylight after work, so I am happy with it.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this is because I've lived in southern states my entire life, but unless it was a job that required me to be at work about 5 am, I've never had a problem with it being dark during business hours. In fact, should we ever choose to go to DST ourselves, all it's doing is taking away an hour of daylight after work (since we'd wind up in the MST zone).

How many people who live... well, south of the mason-dixie line (sorry, it's the only known imaginary line in the area I want) find DST to be tedious, and how many who live north find it to be vital?

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not switiching times, I refuse, I'll stay on this time, and just go to classes at the wrong time, and everyone can be annoyed at me. I've lived 19 years without changing times, no need for it now! Oh and blacwolve, I totally agree on the Mitch issues, I'm going to be in the town that this representative who wrote the bill is from next weekend, maybe I'll wear a shirt against it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bite_Me
Member # 7918

- posted      Profile for Bite_Me   Email Bite_Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Indiana, the forgotten state. Why is it that Indiana's the last state to get everything?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
When does it go into effect? I was just enjoying the fact that Hobbes is now only an hour later than me instead of the blasted 2 hours away he is all winter.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It wont effect that Babe, I'll be gone long before it goes into effect. Next time we're calling each other and DST is in effect we'll both be there. [Big Grin] [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

gnixing - more daylight after work . My husband doesn't normally get home till about 7 pm, so yeah, it's pretty important to us that we have more sunshiny hours in the evening to enjoy being outside. Believe me, we'd much rather watch the sun set at 9:30 rather than 8:30.

katdog, I'm 40 minutes away from Louisville. Also, is there *any* part of southern Indiana that's not particularly confused?

space opera

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Blast! I hate Mitch Daniels. I was quite happy not having to worry about changing my clocks. It was nice to be the one state sane enough to stay on the same time all year round. *curses* Any chance that we can elect another governer who'll repeal this ASAP?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I have to admit, I agree with a lot of people who voted for this simply to move on to more important things. It's really not an issue that should have been taking up as much time as it was.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.