FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Augh! Mac help needed

Author Topic: Augh! Mac help needed
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Have I mentioned how much I hate Macs?

I'm only putzing with this so my neice can talk to her father in Hong Kong.

Now, to the problem.

The Mac has OS 10.2.5 (not X.3+)

IChat AV 2.1 requires X.3+ to function.

The Mac currently has IChat, but not IChat AV - as a result, the ISight camera is not being integrated into the chat program.

The question:

Do I need to uninstall IChat and install IChat AV 1.something?

How the ^*^(@$! do you uninstall a program on/in a Mac?

Any ideas where I could find a copy of IChat AV 1.something that will function on this OS?

Thanks in advance.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I a thread title like this, I expect it be T_Smith asking for marital advice. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no iChat AV 1.x. There was a very temporary release of iChat AV that ran on 10.2, and I think I recall something about a paid option for continuing . . .

Yes, such a thing did exist, but it appears to have been discontinued.

I recommend trying Skype for your video conferencing needs . . . except it appears skype's os x client requires 10.3

I recommend upgrading to 10.3 [Wink]

Actually, one last option . . .

http://im.yahoo.com/

Appears to work with older versions of OS X, does video chat.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't look at me, I'm still using OS 9.2.

You bring up a good question though. When I played with OS X I found that I couldn't figure out where anything is. The entire filing system paradigm that made the Mac so user friendly is gone.

So how do you uninstallanything under OS X.x?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Glenn: you drag it to the trash.

(unless it came with an uninstaller, which is very rare)

Also, OS X uses a much more logical layout for things than OS 9, though very different in some ways.

The basics: your files go in your home folder. Applications go in the Applications folder. Most everything else you shouldn't mess with except under direction.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I recommend upgrading to 10.4 [Wink]
T, FTFY [Wink]

Edit: Trevor, I have several spare copies of 10.3 from when I was a member of the Apple's Student Developer Connection. If you want, I can send you one for free. Email's in the profile.

[ May 01, 2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most everything else you shouldn't mess with except under direction.
Yeah, I think it was system files I couldn't find/get rid of. There's no system folder. Once I set up the disk as a startup disk under OS X, I couldn't turn it back into plain old storage.

I'm sorry, I've been a Mac fanatic for a long time, but OS X loses everything the Mac was better at than windows.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I used to feel that way, but I've found that the stability of OS X is worth the UI tradeoff. I agree that the UI tradeoff shouldn't have to be made, but boy is it nice to not have the whole system grind to a halt just because I clicked a menu.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Some of the UI is definitely a loss, other parts a significant gain. Its partly a matter of taste, of course.

And there is a System folder, it just actually is the System folder, and you should pretty much never, ever touch it. Most of the System-like things you might touch, hypothetically, go in the Library folder (the one in the root level of the hard drive), though generally speaking that stuff should go in the Library folder in your home folder.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but OS X loses everything the Mac was better at than windows.
Actually it doesn't. It makes Mac Os EVEN better than windows. But, yes it takes some getting used to, becuase it is different than Os 9. I was against the switch at first too. But after a week or so of Os X, and after I got used to it, I started liking Os X A LOT better than os 9. Give it a shot and a little time, and perhaps a help book, and I think it'll grow on you.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offer Twinky, but I need to talk to former cousin-in-law and figure out what he wants to do.

The easiest thing would be to just download Yahoo Messenger and let them work with that.

Since this is just a "toy" computer for his daughter, there isn't really a need for upgrading the entire OS.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Sorry to give T_Smith and Mack such a hard time. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

NP, Trevor. [Smile]

quote:
Some of the UI is definitely a loss, other parts a significant gain. Its partly a matter of taste, of course.
Well, the Finder is still broken in some ways, even in Tiger. It gets confused about window contents, location, size, and view style altogether too often to retain any semblance of consistency. In that respect it's definitely lacking compared to the old OS 9 Finder, which is kind of upsetting considering that they've had four years to fix it. It's also still lacking on the performance front.

But there are things about the OS X UI as a whole that are definitely vast improvements (like the aforementioned case of menu scrolling where the entire system doesn't pause while the menu is open).

[ May 01, 2005, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

*nods*

Luckily I hardly use the finder, myself -- its the Dock, the Terminal, and soon Spotlight that I use, almost always.

Other improvements include the Dock, IMO, the systematization of application menus, the better layout structure of the system, and expose, to name a few.

Though the single biggest improvement is the amazing support for application development. OS X's APIs, IDE, and other improvements have made it possible for people to create many really cool applications with comparative ease.

Close runner up would have to be the *nix integration, though, I love my command line and traditional *nix programs.

edit: oh, and not having to freakin' allocate memory limits by hand!

[ May 01, 2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

twinky
Member # 693

You are not most users. [Wink]

The Dock is pretty good but I think it could be a lot better. Being able to bind it to the lower-left corner without a hack would be nice -- that way, everything in the Dock would have a consistent position regardless of what apps were running.

(I like things to stay where I put them. [Smile] )

fugu13
Member # 2859

Its never been a big deal for me because most anything I commonly run exists in the dock, so things rarely move.
twinky
Member # 693

That's true for me as well, but "rarely move" isn't good enough. [Razz]

I was scared of the commandline at first. Now I like it, though I don't resort to it all that often.

fugu13
Member # 2859

of course, my dock is on my left, which works well for me.

And I use the command line all the freakin' time -- there are very few circumstances its not more usable than the gui for things like file management.

twinky
Member # 693

I don't use it enough to remember anything but the basic commands, and the learning curve is steep enough that I'm not terribly interested in scaling it. [Smile] I use it if I need to manipulate invisible files for some reason (or if I want to poke around inside a bundle and "Show Package Contents" doesn't work) or, occasionally, for little scripts.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"And I use the command line all the freakin' time -- there are very few circumstances its not more usable than the gui for things like file management."

Russell, you're such a geek. [Smile]
I mean that in a good way, but still...

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*chuckle*

Yep, I don't bother denying it. I'm much more than a geek, though, I'm also several varieties of nerd [Wink] .

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, but how to define those terms?

Gotta thank you, btw, for mentioned phdcomics in another thread. I've read all the way through them, and the accuracy is FRIGHTENING.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, I'm not really a dork, though sometimes I play one [Wink] .

I think the primary usage of the geek/nerd dichotomy involves situations where one is talking about technical geekage and several other areas. Its then easier to describe other interests as nerdish for the purposes of differentiation. When just one or a few subject areas is being discussed, though, they may be all talked about as part of geekdom.

Also, nerd has a stronger association with social ineptness, so saying one is a nerd in a particular area could imply a mild social ineptness based on that capacity, whereas nowadays saying one is a geek does not so much.

In some areas I am a geek, in others a nerd [Wink]

It really all just comes down to personal usage, of course.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.