FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The thread in which... (now copyrights and public domain songs) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The thread in which... (now copyrights and public domain songs)
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I have DEFINATELY violated copyright.

*ducks and runs*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite likely, though you might also be surprised at times you've been covered.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, you are covered performing songs in your home or a friend's home non-commercially. But performing at an open mic in a public or commercial venue is a violation unless the venue has a license.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Which I most likely have done.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

There's no universal coverage on performance in homes, though its unlikely anyone would pursue such a violation.

Holding a small movie showing (say, 20 people, almost all friends) on a projection screen in your backyard would be a violation, though.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
What would make that a violation? The lack of roof?
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, maybe it was a state law. But I know that I was told that singing songs at home with or without friends was not a violation.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Holding a small movie showing (say, 20 people, almost all friends) on a projection screen in your backyard would be a violation, though.
It might be, but I would like everyone to note that this was suggested as a fun party idea in two different parenting magazines last year.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Nothing to do with a lack of roof, same screening inside would be problematic.

There are no hard and fast rules, but usually once you get beyond what would typically be considered "a few people sitting around" watching tv or whatever, when it becomes a "showing", is when it starts becoming problematic.

And that a magazine recommends it means very little, most people, magazine writers and editors included, know very little about copyright [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Yes, singing songs at homes by yourself or with a few friends is fine. They key word is few. When it starts to be a dedicated activity of some sort, such as when you start pulling a larger group together for "performances" or the like, even if its still just for fun, a license is (technically) needed.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I wasn't saying that it meant anything. Just that they were encouraging lawbreaking. [Razz]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, they installed a home movie theatre for a family, so they could have extended movie nights in their back yard, on Extreme Home Makeover, not that long ago.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm, maybe it was a state law. But I know that I was told that singing songs at home with or without friends was not a violation.
State law can't really effect this - fair use and copyright are federally defined, and any state intrusion on either would be reducing someone's federally granted right.

A "few" friends is not a problem. Here's the statutory language:

quote:
To perform or display a work "publicly" means--
(1) to perform or display it at a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered; or
(2) to transmit or otherwise communicate a performance or display of the work to a place specified by clause (1) or to the public, by means of any device or process, whether the members of the public capable of receiving the performance or display receive it in the same place or in separate places and at the same time or at different times.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. But that's why 1923 is about the only definite milestone we have. I'm sure some works were created by someone who died before 1930, but it's hard to figure that out. So 1923 is the safe point.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.