FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Proper Papaya Preparation Procedures, Please

Author Topic: Proper Papaya Preparation Procedures, Please
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a papaya for the first time in my life. I've already figured out that you cut it in half and use a spoon to scoop out the middle, and I've sliced it and eaten it (good) and put it with bananas, milk, yogurt, and ice in a smoothie (less than good, not quite "bad"). What are other ways to prepare papaya?

One papaya is kind of a lot for one person, by the way.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, no advice on papaya preparation, but I just had to say... excellent thread title.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You can bake them with marshmellows. And slice them into salads.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Alliteration. Intended? Or serendipity?

In Sri Lanka, papaya (as well as mango and pineapple) are sometimes eaten with sweetened condensed milk poured overtop.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Serendipity, largely. I might not have posted about it were it not for the alliteration, though.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Burn it.
Oh, and burn the farm where they grow too.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it you don't like papayas.

*high fives* Me neither!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither!

We can be anti-papaya buddies.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! We can have cool uniforms and go around rescuing people from papayas!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Grammar Communist doctrine is neutral on the subject of papayas. Party members may eat them, or not, as they choose. However, "papaya's" is an abomination to be resisted with every fiber of our being. Just a friendly word of warning - you don't want to be sent to Siberia over such a trivial issue.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Oooh! What color uniforms?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What about "Papaya's"? As in, a possessive short for the famous stands in New York?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Oooh! What color uniforms?
Well, certainly not papaya colored!
Raia
Member # 4700

Right! We should make them... purple!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay! I look good in purple. [Big Grin]
Raia
Member # 4700

Me too. [Big Grin] And it's my favorite color!
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!!! I'm on it too!
The H.A.C.P.W.L.P!!
(Hatrackers Against Crazy People Who Like Papayas)
Or something, we could think of a better acromynm.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly cannot tell whether I had papaya before or not.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

You can't join. [Razz]
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a papaya. But I found this:

Papaya Recipes

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Papayas are pretty good, but I prefer mangos. They are both very nutritious and good for breakfast. Papayas are easier to serve and eat.

I have a Japanese friend who makes green papaya salad that's tasty, and many people here use green papayas as poultice after an insect bite.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I love mangoes!
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Why the heck can't I? I was the first one to say that papayas should come back from whichever hell hole they came from in the first place! [Frown]
I know I'm on it.
In fact, I'm a VIP member.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
When I had them for breakfast in Mexico every morning, they'd serve them sliced and drizzled with lime juice. Mmm - boy! Actually, just about everything in Mexico is served sliced and drizzled with lime juice, but when is that not an improvement?

And, yes, I concede that mangoes are better. But what are mangoes not better than?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

AltƔriƫl, I think she was talking to Kama. You are so in. But we don't want any computer programs who have never eaten papayas. Besides, computer programs can't fly.
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

That's called the Greengrocer's Apostrophe, KoM. I concur that it is not acceptable.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I love papayas, and adore mangoes. Luckily, I have a couple Manila mangoes (the really mellow vanilla-y yellow ones) ready to eat . . . and I think now is when I shall eat them! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I love papaya with sweeted condensed milk, and with lime, but not at the same time.

You can also mash it and mix in something acidic, and use it as a marinaide for meat. It's a main ingredient in meat tenderizers. Yum.

[ May 05, 2005, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And it makes a darn good contact lens cleaner and clothes stain remover.

Not to mention helping if you had a tad too much to eat.

Papain is wonderful stuff. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Why the heck can't I? I was the first one to say that papayas should come back from whichever hell hole they came from in the first place! [Frown]
I know I'm on it.
In fact, I'm a VIP member.

I was talking to Kama, dear. [Kiss]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Dried papayas are good. As are dried pineapples, dried mangoes, dried apples...I love dried fruit.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.