FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for some good movies...

Author Topic: Looking for some good movies...
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got netflix(woot...) and im looking for some good movies to rent. Keep in mind im mormon.. so ALL r rated are unacceptable.. and so are some of the bad pg-13 movies. I like anime, not alot just some of them. I enjoy fun movies. Willy Wonka tops my list( i am 15). I like thrillers and adventures...
So reccomend some good ones please? and thanks
But horror movies.. i cant deal with

SparkNotes
1. Good Movies rated pg-13 or lower.
2. No horror.

[ May 04, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Lanfear ]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, lanfear!

You can add me to your Netflix friends if you like, that's a good way to see other people's recommendations.

My email address is annekemajors AT yahoo dot com

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
is it just me or do I remember a lanfear from long ago?

either way, hey!

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

Lanfear is a demon-femme fatale character from Robert Jordans Wheel of TIme series..
Not the best writing.. but the stories are addictive

Im a guy though. lol

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Here are my favorites
Lawrence of Arabia
A Bridge Too Far
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I don't know enogh about Mormanism to say if this would offend you, there is nothing lewd, and violence is only used for comic effect, its representaition of relgion could be argued as negative, but there are no specific relgions mentioned.)
Monty Python and the Life of Bryon (Keep in mind that it isn't making fun of Jesus, Bryon is a clearly separate charechter who is mistaken for the messiah, Jesus himself is also protrayed, but only briefly and then in a non-negative light [people mishear the sermon on the mount])
All Lord of the Rings and the first three Sar Wars.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

I love Monty Python Holy Grail.

Im not sure that life of bryon is apropriate (mom told me bout it)
Will check out your other recommendations
Thanks

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bryon
Speaking of alternative name spellings...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Der Untergang (Downfall) isn't out on dvd yet in America, but I would recommend it when it becomes available. Or even better, see it in theatres. I just watched Merchant of Venice, and that was really good, great acting performance by all involved, but especially Pacino. There's a great independant movie called Primer which I believe is out on dvd now. It was made with a $7000 budget, and it's about time travel, so if you're into that kind of thing you'd probably like Primer. Is Hotel Rwanda out on dvd yet? I think it is, and it's definitely worth renting. Also, you can't go wrong with anything written by Charlie Kaufman.

Edit to add: The Woodsman and The Assassination of Richard Nixon.

[ May 04, 2005, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to remember, you can also rent the DVDs of many TV shows on netflix. So if there are any TV shows that you like, check them out to see if netflix has them.

Here are a few movies that I like that are not above PG 13 (in no particular order). They are a mix of action/adventure, sports movies, and romantic comedies

National Treasure (just came out)
Wimbledon
The replacements
For love of the game
Harry Potter 1-3
A knights tale
The natural
Pirates of the Caribbean
Shrek 1 & 2
Ocean's Eleven
Get Over it
Batman
10 things I hate about you
As Good as it gets
Spiderman 1 & 2

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
Downfall is still in theaters here (UTAH)But is rated R.
I would reccomend for you
Recent Movies:
House Of Flying Daggers
Finding Neverland
Master and Commander (mainly for the soundtrack)
Anime:
Kiki's Delivery Service
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke(some violence)
Whole Trigun Series
Classics:
The Great Escape
Clue
Young Frankenstein

And Some others that I can't think of.

Edit: Oh and by the way, I like the Wheel of Time series too, and I think the writing is just fine, if you like over detailed under substanced drivel that only keeps you interested because you know, you just know that soon someone is going to blow something up with the Power.

[ May 04, 2005, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: SmoG ]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
My recommendations: (I'm Mormon too) [Smile]

-A Simple Twist of Fate (really was overlooked by the critics has Steve Martin but is a Drama)

-The Iron Giant (same director as Incredibles)

-Independence Day

-Sneakers

-Princess Mononoke (probably already seen this one:)

-Willow (woot!)

What is actually on Netflix [Embarrassed] oops...

-The Incredibles

-all of the LOTRs (thats a no brainer) [Smile]

-Spiderman 2

-School of Rock

-Pirates of the Carribean

-Shrek 2

-Harry Potter 3 (another given)

-Ella Enchanted (is OK)

-Finding Nemo

-Napolean Dynamite (Heck Yes!)

-The Terminal (Got to love Tom Hanks)

-Second Hand Lions (hands down!!! Another really good one that the critics overlooked)

-Whale Rider

-Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

-Sixth Sense

-My big fat Greek Wedding

-Sweet Home Alabama (a little odd)

-Reign of Fire (actually wasn't that great but I loved seeing Mathew McConauphey grunt everytime he ran.. And the Dragons are pretty cool)

-Frequency

-The Village

(WARNING: Don't watch Bringing down the House.)

Hope that helps.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw. Bringing Down the House was funny.
Try the new version of Peter Pan, then watch Finding Neverland because I liked those movies.
And, folks up there have such good taste the recommended movies I love. How cool is that?
And I also love Edward Scissorhands, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
Don't watch From Hell. Jack the Ripper CREEPS ME OUT AND SCARES ME!
Then you have Benny and Joon which is very cute and nice...
I'm not sure if Hero is R rated, but it has SWORDS.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Lanfear, welcome to Hatrack. Though I think you are the only other Mormon I've met in a while who insisted that I couldn't watch R-rated movies. It apparently makes us a certain type of Mormon, as opposed to Mormon generally. Though I personally find Holy Grail repellent. It's heresy I know. I can quote it with the best of them, and that's how I mainly knew it until I finally saw it and was, as I said, repelled.

My favorite movies:
(I can watch over and over)
Groundhog Day
Raising Arizona
The Hudsucker Proxy
Oh Brother Where art thou
While you were sleeping
Galaxy Quest

Movies I enjoyed quite a bit:
Eat,Drink,Man,Woman
Serendipity

Umm, I had a long day at work. I may elaborate later.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite movie is one a lot of people haven't seen.

Undercover Blues.

Has Kathleen Turner, Dennis Quaid, Stanley Tucci. Good cast, hilarious movie, everyone should see it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
How about these:

That Thing You Do
Rudy
October Sky
War Games
Iceman (1984)
My Bodyguard (1980)
Twister
Searching for Bobby Fischer
Hoosiers
The Cutting Edge
Winged Migration (may not be your thing, but I thought it was amazing)

and I believe these have already been mentioned:
Galaxy Quest
Young Frankenstein
Edward Scissorhands
Benny and Joon

I'm pretty certain all of these are PG-13 or below.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Undercover Blues! It's way funny.

I second the new Peter Pan. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

I also second Napoleon Dynamite.

Did someone mention Big Fish? That's a good one.

Adventure types: The Mummy, The Mask of Zorro

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alistair
Member # 7858

- posted      Profile for Alistair   Email Alistair         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been quite a few good suggestions here, but not much mention of the classics that too few people have seen.

Lawrence of Arabia (it was mentioned, but I feel the need to mention it again as it is arguably the greatest movie of all time)
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Harvey
The Philidelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
His Girl Friday
The Great Dictator
Duck Soup
A Night at the Opera
Animal Crackers

If your one for musicals (as I am)
Singing in the Rain
The Inpector General
The Court Jester
The Music Man

And if you enjoy silent films
Metropolis
The Gold Rush
The City Lights

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talison
Member # 7935

- posted      Profile for Talison   Email Talison         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I LOVED "Metropolis" but all other family members thought it was "Too weird" [Wink]

I have a question though; you mentioned ratings and how you do not watch any R's and only some PG 13's. I've found anime ratings a little hard to understand, mostly what I would consider underrated (of course I have also been astounded by some of the content in the PG 13 movies Iā€™ve seen...) so what is an acceptable rating for an anime to you?

And is it just my personal experience or are most of the people naming themselves Lanfear guys? [Wink]
(Barring the Robert Jordan character, as I have never met her. Thank goodness [Eek!] )

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-Ella Enchanted (is OK)
Um, no. [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Btw, Alistair, I have seen almost every single movie on your list, and I own at least half of them. [Smile]

(edit: And I add Arsenic and Old Lace to Alistair's otherwise near-perfect list.)

[ May 05, 2005, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alistair
Member # 7858

Ye gods, I can't believe I forgot Arsenic and Old Lace. Thanks Raia, its good to see someone else with such an excellent taste in movies.

I also can't believe I forgot a good list of Hitchcock movies.
North by Northwest
Rear Window
The 39 Steps (my personal favorite of his)
The Trouble with Harry
Rebbeca
Strangers on a Train

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Hitchcock: To Catch a Thief
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alistair
Member # 7858

I knew that there were a few more that I couldn't come up with on the spot, there always seem to be. Both To Catch a Theif and Vertigo should be in that Hitchcock list.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple from my Netflix list. I think these are all pretty family friendly. [Smile]

About a Boy
Amadeus
Baran
A Beautiful Mind
Bend It Like Beckham
Center Stage
Firefly (some violence)
Freaks and Geeks (shows usage of pot)
Groundhogs Day
In America
A Little Princess
Moonlight Mile
My Dog Skip
Pride & Prejudice (BBC)
Say Anything

[ May 06, 2005, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Just a few more:

Desk Set
Adam's Rib
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Charade
The Shop Around the Corner
Ninotchka (which I may have spelled wrong)
Paris When it Sizzles
How to Steal a Million

And to add to the list of musicals:

My Fair Lady
Guys and Dolls
West Side Story
Hello, Dolly!

Alistair, you and I need to get together and have a movie night sometime. [Wink]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to recommend the wonderful documentary American History X. It is really educational and full of uplifting characters and stories about triumphing over evil. Oh, and it has a happy ending too!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I don't know enogh about Mormanism to say if this would offend you, there is nothing lewd, and violence is only used for comic effect, its representaition of relgion could be argued as negative, but there are no specific relgions mentioned.)
You wouldn't consider the Castle Anthrax scene - particularly "there's only one punishment for lighting the Grail-shaped beacon..." - as being lewd? Not to mention the language throughout?

Personally I love the movie, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone with more delicate sensibilities.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
The Princess Bride
Rent it. Now. (I'm surprised no one mentioned that one yet.)

You should also check out Ladyhawke, it's one of my favorites. [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Strangelove
Chocolat
Mr. Bean (the tv show)
The Court Jester

I second:
The Hudsucker Proxy
How to Steal a Million
Sneakers
everything from Miyazaki/Ghibli (Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa)
Trigun series
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hero
Princess Bride
Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Incredibles
Shrek 1 and 2
Whale Rider
Big Fish
Arsenic and Old Lace
Firefly series
Charade

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! The Princess Bride is a classic
2 others which are OK but might be dated now (I still love to watch them)
Labyrinth (David Bowie!)
The Dark Crystal

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Get Space Balls!!!
Phantom of the Opera(the new version) is cool too. And don't forget any of the classics!
My fair Lady, Hello Dolly, Singing in the Rain and The Thing.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alistair
Member # 7858

Raia, you just keep adding great movies to the list. I can't believe I forgot Charade! <smacks forhead as he realizes that his desktop background is a screencap from Charade>

I love Dark Crystal and Labyrinth (minus David Bowie's overly tight pants <shudder>. Curse you 80s!), but then again I have always been a little biased towards anything Jim Henson has done.

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you looking for new movies? Or movies you haven't seen before? Or just movies in general? I'll just do movies in general, then, 'cause I feel like it.

Not yet mentioned as far as I can see:
Big Daddy
Unbreakable
Signs (This is not a horror movie, although it's sometimes marketed as such)
Head (The Monkees)
Bean (both movie and TV show)

And I've got to second:
Raising Arizona
O Brother Where Art Thou
Big Fish
Edward Scissorhands
Napoleon Dynamite
Shrek 1&2
The Princess Bride

[ May 07, 2005, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought of another one: Love's Labours Lost.

It's Shakespeare's play, but this version is done as a 1920's musical. It was really good, and hilarious, and I enjoyed it.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Alistair, out of curiosity, do you live in England?

I have this creepy feeling I might know you...

But don't be scared, I'm not stalking you or anything, the same thing happened to me with a few other Hatrackers, and I was wrong. [Razz]

Alistair
Member # 7858

Aww, I've always wanted my own stalker. I suppose I'll just have to keep trying.

I do not live in England though, so I guess it would be hard for you to stalk me all the way across the Atlantic.

Lanfear
Member # 7776

I can't respond to all these suggestions, but thank you for them. I'll just comment on some of the movies you talked about

Monty Python: Yeah the castle anthrax scene was way borderline for me. was "lewd"

The Princess Bride... just didn't do it for me im not sure why

Signs: Scared me in theaters, but ive come to love it.

Spaceballs: is really funny, but not apropriate

Some of these are R and i cant check them out, but the others... ive added to my queue and ill report back when i get em

Raia
Member # 4700

Oh, I don't live in England either, but I used to... and I knew an Alistair who loved old films, so I was just wondering if perhaps we stumbled onto the same forum. A chance in a million, but worth asking anyway. [Smile] He actually just published a book on film, I think he has his masters on the subject.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.