FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Daddy works for Monsanto

Author Topic: My Daddy works for Monsanto
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
He's a corn geneticist. I grew up in a town where EVERYBODY's daddy worked in the automotive industry, so I got odd looks when I said "My Daddy is a corn breeder."

As a result, I know a heck of a lot about genetics and biotechnology just from talking with my Daddy.

I'm very proud of my Dad and the work he does. He's been very lucky to be able to travel around the world for his job, and he's a widely respected breeder. He's been to Hawaii, Chile, Italy, China, and South Africa for his company. It's been hard, because the intensity of his work keeps him stressed and away from his family often, but Dad sees it all as worthwhile. He believes his work helps feed the world. And it does! Thanks to biotechnology, growing food is getting more environmentally friendly while increasing yields so that people and animals have enough to eat.

I personally think that the government should invest some of their energy funding into crop-based fuels. It could be done!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, they do. Biodiesel from soybeans and ethanol from corn.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know. But they don't do enough. Imagine if that research were funded with as much resources and passion as they put into finding oil and other non-renewable energy sources. I think our current administration could do better than the current energy policies.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Monsanto has a plant close to my house here in MA.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* I live 30 miles from Iowa State University. So I see a lot more energy and passion put into crop-based research than, well, just about anything, really. I’m sure you’re right that nationally a lot more is focused on oil, but you wouldn’t know it from our local media.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Only one? Usually there are lots of plants in a field... [Razz]

What kind of a plant? How is it received in your community? I know Monsanto has been out of favor a lot lately with environmentalists and people who don't really understand the science of biotech.

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Coolness, dkw. Of course you ARE in the middle of Corn Country...
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that while we can create fuel like biodiesel, modern farming techniques use so much fuel that there is no way to make it economically feasable (assuming that you run your tractors, etc. off of biodiesel or the like).

Does anybody know where to read more about that?

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

We'd have to develop new engines, I think. And develop fuels that are easier to refine. And see if we can make them less polluting.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My good friend (and now boss) was a contractor for Monsanto and helped develop their Geneome Project.

Being in St. Louis, I pass Monsanto's headquarters several times a week.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

From my dad's perspective, Monsanto administration is annoying. They seem to be so far from the field that they put unrealistic expectations on their breeders. But the work that is being done is exciting and promising. And corn breeders are pretty much Good People.

What really gets my dad going, though, is when people come in and destroy crops or property to make a political or environmental point. Monsanto's workers have to take all sorts of ridiculous precautions to keep wackos from coming in and messing with their field trials. And they go way overboard with safety protocol. If you sneeze, you might have to fill out something for OSHA and the company lawyers... (exaggeration, but not by much).

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny
This is exactly the type of work my oldest son is interested in getting into when he graduates from college next year. Could he maybe talk (via e-mail) with your dad?

Actually, he was just offered a position here locally with an ethanol plant -- but he turned it down because 1)he still has a very full year of college left 2) it is just working in the lab, testing the ethanol blend, etc. He wants to work with the seeds themselves -- work with plants and germination and all that stuff. There are Monsanto divisions in our state, but I don't know how many of them do the breeding-type programs.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Wow! Dad's currently working with local groups (Like Future Farmers of America and Farm Bureau) to develop internship programs in the industry. I don't know what jobs are available where he works (just outside Indianapolis), but I'll see my dad this weekend for Mother's Day. I'll ask him where I can send bright, eager young folk who want to do breeding! I'm sure he'd be happy to let your son know what's out there.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks -- I just sent you an e-mail with some contact info. Appreciate it!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Farmgirl, here's a linky to the "careers" page. There are some videos and pdf brochures you can click on, and lots of info about the company. Hope it's helpful! I also fired off an e-mail to my daddy.

Edit to add: There's also a link to "College Recruiting: Co-Ops and Interns". If you click on it, it tells about opportunities and job openings.

[ May 05, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Jenny Gardener ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

uh.....link?
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Oh, duh. http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/layout/careers/default.asp

If you search, you'll find there's an opening for a seed technician in Kihei, Hawaii...

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know Monsanto has been out of favor a lot lately with environmentalists and people who don't really understand the science of biotech.
*raises eyebrow*
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like Future Farmers of America and Farm Bureau
The name was changed in 1988 from the Future Farmers of America to the National FFA Organization to reflect changes in the character of the agricultural industry. The FFA creed was also changed to reflect these changes. Today's FFA is a dynamic organization that represents all aspects of agriculture; from agriscience to marketing to agricultural sales and service. It's not just a club for production agriculture and farm owners anymore!

*giggle*

You know how many times I had to make that speech and how many people were still entirely baffled when I was done?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Most of the public is grossly misinformed about a lot of the hot-button issues surrounding biotech and GMOs. Not YOU, BtL, I'm sure! Not most Hatrackers, either. But a lot of people get all nervous about GMOs without understanding the technology behind it.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

I have several cousins in the organization, Annie, so I can imagine! [Smile]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I largely agree with you JG, the public doesn't really understand what's going on with GMOs.

The biggest problem, I think, is that the science has been around long enough that people are becoming comfortable with it and forgetting that we don't really understand what we're doing. There will be, I think, a Thalidomide case for the biotech business that will drastically change how go about production and shape our safety laws. Unfortunately, you can't recall an organism. It's a disaster waiting to happen, how big of one *shrug* who knows?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.