FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Microwaves

Author Topic: Microwaves
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
So my family microwave is a beast. It's from the 80's, big, and is VERY strong. Like, when directions tell us to nuke it for 5 minutes, we only need to do it for 2. I wonder how long this bad boy will last? I guess the general rule is if it's older it will last longer, considering that we make things nowadays to break down so we have to buy them again. I noticed that when we use it for long periods the beeping noise it makes when you hit the buttons or when it lets you know the food it done get's REALLY loud.

Anyway... what about you folks? [Smile] Tell your microwave story...

*sits back with a plate of chinese food*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
For years and years we had a broken microwave. We got it for free when we moved in. It started out white and turned yellow. The buttons broke- you had to pound on the start button with a fist to get it started. The only numbers that worked were a select few that changed without notice. The muffin button broke.

So here I am telling my parents over and over: "Get a new microwave, this one is broken.." For years, this was my constant line whenever the microwave hit a period of intense lack of use (like the start button wouldn't work at all), or when my Dad electrocuted himself trying to fix it.

Finally, we got one. After I left for University. It's shiny, and it works.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
We had this big Ziploc bag full of dipping chocolate. My wife put it in the microwave to soften it so she could put it into Tupperware containers. And she was watching it very closely. But then she turned away for a second to deal with something our daughter was doing. And when she turned back, the bag had melted in several spots and chocolate was pouring ALL over the microwave. She opened up the door and tried to catch most of it, but it poured all over the stove and everywhere.

I got home a little while later and helped clean up the last of it. By then it had hardened again. Wow. Mounds of chocolate all inside and around the microwave. Every little kid's dream. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My little brother used to have a penny that he carried around with him ALL the time. Until he jammed it in the microwave door. [ROFL] We ended up having to take it to a repair place to get them to un-jam the penny out of it.

A friend of mine told me once that he had a microwave that was so old amd messed up he could stand in front of it with it going...and the door still open. [Roll Eyes]

[ May 05, 2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

I remember the crappy microwaves we had at college. They were small, weak, timer things. And you could see a star pattern burned into the bottom of EVERY microwave across campus. But while they were weak, they seems to love burning popcorn. Those darn things were responsible for so many fire alarms...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
My microwave is a monolith from the 80s as well. It's Montgomery Ward brand. My old roommate used to make fun of it, saying it was responsible for keeping my cat alive, like, two years beyond what the vet predicted after finding inoperable tumors. As long as it still works, I don't see a need to get a new one.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's an old one, but it seems durable. It does burn popcorn, and I usually give things MORE time than the instructions dictate.

What this thread needs is a contest: who has the oldest working microwave? (Oh, and still uses it... [Wink] )

Goldstar, ER-5034. Still has the retail sticker on it. 10-17-1986. Mfg date was May of '86.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Ours is a Panasonic... from Sept '82!
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
My older sister once tried to soften butter by putting it in the microwave... with the foil wrapper still on it. It burst into flames. Nobody got hurt, and the microwave was still usable after that, so we can laugh about it. But it sure wasn't funny at the time.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
You never really get to know a microwave's fire power until you stick a styrofoam cup with oreo's in it. The styrofoam will melt, the oreo's will burst on fire, and the smoke will cover the entire building. Memories of yearbook camp... [Roll Eyes]
You should try this somtime.
You could also put hand soap bars inside the microwave for 3 mins. and when you take it out and throw it at a wall, it will burst.

We had lots of fun doing this.

OODLES. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now we have a fine working micro-wave we got when we were married, 16 years ago.

Yet, not satisfied, my wife volunteered to take her grand-mothers older, giant, micro-wave oven. She wants to keep it because ours is old and may give out soon.

HER GRANDMOTHERS IS 10 YEARS OLDER, And weighs about the same as three elephants and a bunny.

Last night I needed to get a flash light from where it was stored. Unfortunately we had just moved a pile of junk in front of the cabinet where we kept the flash light. To get it, I stood on top of this ancient microwave. It didn't even creek or bend.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a worthwhile story involving microwaves from back in college. It began with an ancient microwave, decrepit, and about to nuke it's last meal. During the preparation of a frozen burrito, its door became jammed. No amount of prying could unlock it. With half a dozen engineers and pilots involved, the burrito gradually wound up overcooked, burned, and quite smelly. (Where's that vomit smiley?) Some people joked that satan had taken up residence in the microwave.

To free the burrito, or exorcise the microwave, depending on your viewpoint, they planned a covert operation: drive to Coronado Heights, and toss the microwave off the structure until the burrito was freed. Or satan left. One of the two. [Smile]

Coronado Heights has a camping structure, with an observation area on top, with a heck of a view. It's also rather secluded. When we arrived there, the only people we disturbed were making out on the picnic areas. (See, you can't just go around tossing appliances off buildings in town. People ask too many questions.)

After an astounding 6 tosses over the edge, onto the sharp rocks, the microwave finally divulged the burrito remnants. Yes, we picked up the mess. 'Twas a heck of a good oulet for stress. [Smile]

Edit: grammar

[ May 05, 2005, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Tstorm ]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My current microwave is one I got as a wedding present -- in 1985 -- so it is 20 years old. Doesn't show any sign of breaking down yet -- although I kind wish it would, because I want one that has a revolving turntable (this one doesn't). As it is, I have to pause it and rotate the food every so often.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst walking past my mother's steroid-enhanced beast of a microwave when on the cordless, the interference from the machine completely drowned out the call.

When I use it now, I stand as far away from it as possible. [Angst]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom's latent distrust of microwaves and my own juvenile paranoia of radiation led to me not using one much in everyday life.

However, the entertainment value of watching a Marshmallow Peep® expand to 12 times it normal volume is high enough to justify a little brain-frying action.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Panasonic that lasted for 15 years and three interstate moves. When it broke we went without for a year, uintil the sight of our microwaveless kitchen caused my neighbor to buy us one at Costco. It's Magic Chef, and seems pretty flimsey compared to the old one.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
"Microwaves cook food by humming at it really loud."

--Chris Bridges

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine as a graduation present in 91. Was great to have it illegally in the dorm hidden in my locked closet plugged into the light with one of those adapters. Sweet. I think it’s on it’s last leg though. Directions that say 3 minutes I have to put in for 4. The flux capacitors in there don’t seem to be what they used to be.

[ May 05, 2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talison
Member # 7935

- posted      Profile for Talison   Email Talison         Edit/Delete Post 
The oldest microwave I have ever used belongs to a neighbor. They think it is about 20 years old (came with their house). You set the cooking time by turning a dial, and the time is shown on a paper strip. It also loves to burn things, especially popcorn [Razz]

Our own microwave is 16 years old and while we have had to adjust cooking time slightly over the years it still does pretty good.

A friend gave us her microwave when she moved, but mother refused to use it until ours died and she recently gave it to another friend of hers because their microwave finally bit the dust [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't have a microwave until a few years ago. Now I don't know how we survived without it. [Razz]

My dorm apartment doesn't even have an oven, but we have a microwave. We also have a gas range and a toaster oven. You can make most things, but I still wish I had an oven.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp...

We also have an old monster, except ours is slowly dying.

Its at least 25 years old, and can cook things in half the time (as you mentioned) all the way to twice the time.

Worries me occasionally, whether this fluxuation could mean we're being irradiated or something weird as that.
But this 3rd arm is too cool, and distracts me from such thoughts.

Crazy as always,
Ken

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp...

We also have an old monster, except ours is slowly dying.

Its at least 25 years old, and can cook things in half the time (as you mentioned) all the way to twice the time.

Worries me occasionally, whether this fluxuation could mean we're being irradiated or something weird as that.
But this 3rd arm is too cool, and distracts me from such thoughts.

Crazy as always,
Ken

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You never really get to know a microwave's fire power until you stick a styrofoam cup with oreo's in it. The styrofoam will melt, the oreo's will burst on fire, and the smoke will cover the entire building.
We put an Oreo in a really hot campfire once. It was so hot, that it would melt a glass bottle. However, 10 minutes later, you could still read "Oreo" on the cookie. Makes you wonder what it does in your stomach... [Angst]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.