FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Owowow *cries*

Author Topic: Owowow *cries*
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What's the best treatment (that I porbably already have here at home) for burns?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cold water and burn oinment?

Curse, swear, and yell alot until it stops hurting?

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had good success with putting it on ice (for a little bit - like for half an hour after doing it) and applying vitamin E (cut open the vitamin capsule and squeeze out the goop) and aloe until it heals.

How badly did you burn yourself?

[Edit: No ice, Kayla says]

[ May 05, 2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't cover it because it'll trap in the heat and it'll hurt MORE.

How bad a burn is it?

Another method is finding something to distract you from the pain of the burn.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
smack it on the table over and over again for 30 seconds. It doesn't heal the burn but it's such a RELIEF when you stop.
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Hot oil splatters on both hands, one arm, and the tops of my feet.

There's only one spot that is more than just red...it's blistering.

This really hurts.

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Take a deep breath in. Open your door and stand just inside.

Now yell:

VERDAMTNAMAL!

Works for me every time.

[Rough pronunciation guide: fer-DOMT-nuh-MALL]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, MAN, those hurt. [Frown]

Basically, wash them off in water to put out the fire. You can ice them like someone said, but the more you ice them, the more it'll hurt when you take off the ice. Keep them clean, try not to touch them or bump them against anything, and find something to take your mind off them if at all possible. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Boon - ouch!

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Cool washcloths seem to help some. The first thing I did was take a cool shower to get all the oil off.

I did get a little bit of it on my face, right above and on my glasses. Imagine if I hadn't been wearing them! [Eek!]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, no ice. Cold water. Maybe try the bath tub. Fill it with cold water and stick your arms and foot in it. You could maybe add some ice to the bath tub to make the water really cold, but ice damages, too. And mack is right. It will hurt that much more when you take it off.

Burns suck. [Frown]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot oil splatters are no fun. [Frown] The one that's blistering, I'd try to keep it cool for a little while, then applying vit. E, aloe, or burn creams. I know about getting burned - since I work with heat treating equipment, I get burned every so often. My blistering burns I've gotten have hurt, of course, but have cleared up quickly with the vit. E and aloe.

[ May 05, 2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you were doing...don't do it again!

Sheesh...

-Trevor

PS Maybe its just symptomatic of my day, but it bothers me the first three threads are all involving pain and suffering.

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew icing was detrimental. Do you have any sunburn ointment with lidocain? Or is that detrimental too?

Ibuprofen, or another painkiller would probably help. Oh and go to the Dr. they might have something for you. Whay aren't you at the Dr. now?

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randi
Member # 7904

- posted      Profile for Randi   Email Randi         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon,

Burns are painful. Go to your doctor. If it is after hours where you live, go to an urgent care center or a hospital emergency room.

A doctor can treat the burns and prescribe some pain medication for you. You probably need something stronger than tylenol.

-- Randi

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the aloe for now, then as they heal, the Vit. E to prevent scarring. (((Boon))) Those really hurt.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Aloe, aloe, aloe! And when you need to prevent scarring, the best thing to do is keep them sunscreened for at least 6 months (you should be using it every day anyway. So there.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Damn Boon
Trevor! Shame on you! [Wink]

Boon, I suggest you travel to one of the poles, or it won't stop hurting for days.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I advice aloe... strait from the plant if possible... You really don't need to bother with a doctor unless the blistering one becomes uncomfortable and your worried about popping it...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard anything that suggests you need to see the doctor necessarily. Try not to pop the blister, keeping the burns cool is helpful at first. My favorite burn cream is silvadene but I think that takes a prescription. The pharmacist can suggest something good especially if the blister opens.

I poured a half cup of hot oil from a popcorn popper directly onto my right hand once in college. Lovely second degree burns, so deep that the outer layer of skin peeled right off when I rubbed my hand on a towel. So much for leaving the blister intact. [Smile]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I poured a pot of boiling oil on one arm once-- two years after I had poured boiling honey on the other arm.

I have a dark patch behind the wrist on each forearm to remind me not to be stupid while cooking.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
For a serious burn, soak it in cool water and take an antihistamine like Benedryl immediately upon receiving the burn.
Do not ice, not even with ice water. It'll only damage the skin more.
Do not put an oil-based ointment on the burn.
A water-based antiseptic ointment containing aloe and vitaminE beneath a porous bandage is the non-prescription covering which will promote the fastest healing and minimize scarring.

[ May 05, 2005, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Aloe. If you don't have aloe, get aloe and just keep it around. I keep a bottle of aloe vera gel around the house at all times, and it's given me relief from hot oil splatters, sunburn, contact with hot metal, and mosquito bites.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that egg whites are good to put on burns... don't know how reliable that is though.

(((boon)))

hope you heal fast!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Do NOT ice a burn, it can cause more damage.

Lukewarm water usually works well, and don't pop any blisters at first. If you bget bad blisters then go see a doc, of if there are many little burns.

Aloe, either in a lotion or straight from an aloe plant, is good too.

Don't use anything with oil in it, and when it begins to heal coat it three times a day with aloe or neosporine.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ice water is ok; an ice pack (wrap a paper towel around a few ice cubes, wet slightly, place in ziploc bag) can be helpful; but DO NOT place an ice cube directly on a burn, especially a bad one.

Silvadene is amazing stuff, but it is indeed prescription only. OTOH, if scarring is a concern, silvadene is remarkably good at preventing scars.

Aloe creams are good; aloe sap directly from the plant can be too astringent to put directly on a burn -- use caution.

Feel better, Boon!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

My family doctor said to wrap ice packs in towels and apply for a few minutes at a time to cool the burns, and to take 800 mg of ibuprofen before bed.

Then, I am to hie myself to her office first thing in the morning, where she will examine the burns and give me some stuff for it...

Turns out I have a $50 credit in her office for a payment I made some time ago that insurance paid retroactively. So I don't have to pay for anything tomorrow...and she's going to give me an antibiotic for Jennifer as well, as she's got an ear infection.

Can you believe, she was at the office after hours doing paperwork with her nurse, remembered that our family is usually low on funds, and had her nurse check on it while she called me back? (She said I can come in anytime, for any reason, and she will make arrangements for $5 a month payments if I need to! She knows I don't call unless I really need to.)

So...actually, the one that's blistering isn't bothering me so much anymore, but the one that's wrapped around the first knuckle of my right index finger hurts a bunch. Feels like it's on fire. And my glasses have rubbed open the tiny little blisters on the side of my nose, so now they're sticking.

I think I'll take that ibuprofen and go to bed now.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's wonderful, Boon. [Smile] (Not the pain part; the your-doctor-is-an-angel part.)

Hope the pain is soon a thing of the past.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.