FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's leukemia, and...uh... medicos? Esp. ped medicos?

Author Topic: It's leukemia, and...uh... medicos? Esp. ped medicos?
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
My nephew Geoffrey is in the hospital with a swollen liver, spleen, and about 50% red blood cell count. For some reason he was put on Prevacid by his pediatrician. I don't know a lot about the drug, but why a 5-month-old would be on it is beyond me.

I thought this would be another crackpot, but it is in PubMed . Does that mean it is less likely to be a crackpot? (summary, soybeans causing infantile leukemia)

[ May 05, 2005, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I hope he recovers and quickly.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my. That is so liitle. I'll pray for Geoffrey.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear. Prayers his way!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor little guy. He's in my prayers.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Gentle hugs and healing thoughts to everyone
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Geoff [Frown] . ((((mothertree&Geoffrey)))
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
That *is* young! [Frown]

Wishing the best success for fighting this!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and thoughts his way.

He's so little that makes me want to cry! [Cry]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
That is sad. Poor baby, and Poor Family going through this. I hope the doctors are able to treat it successfully. I saw somewhere that because of so much new research, the survival rate for child cancer patients has gone up enormously.

*prayers and hugs for Geoffrey and family*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no. Hoping he tolerates treatment well and sending some peaceful vibes to the family.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear... Hugs and good vibes for the family [Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry mothertree. Treatments are so rough but I know several families in our support group (for parents of seriously ill children) whose children are fighting leukemia and are winning. One of the littlest is just over a year now and has been in treatment a long time. I will pray for your families.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no. (prays for Geoffrey)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard anything else, but I wanted to thank all of you for your warm thoughts. I was uncomforted by this link from georgetown heme-onc that lists hepatosplenicmegaly as a symptom of the less treatable type. His young age also inclines me to wonder if it is a congenital case, which would also tend toward AML. He's like 19 weeks and I know he's had symptoms for a while.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so sad. I hope it turns out all right. Geoffrey and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
19 weeks and he has leukemia? [Frown] [Frown] That is so sad.

I hope he's alright, Trisha.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

He didn't have the AML, so I was relieved for a day but then it turned out he has MLL complications, which puts him back on the less treatable side of things. Mother's day was kind of a bummer.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Mothertree,
I spent Mother's Day with a two year old who, a year ago, was looking like he was not going to survive. It was a rare blood condition, and he had a bone marrow transplant, and is now very healthy. So hope! And pray.
One thing the hospital had was a website for parents, so they could post their updates and not have to call everyone. People could post their prayers and thoughts to them directly, and it lifted all of their spirits.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.