FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "The Dark is Rising"- The Movie! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "The Dark is Rising"- The Movie!
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that there will be people here who will hate me for saying this, but as an adult rereading the series the only book that really captures me is The Dark is Rising. It's probably the only one of them I'd recommend to an adult approaching the series for the first time (and it works well as a stand-alone novel, I think).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stasia
Member # 9122

- posted      Profile for Stasia   Email Stasia         Edit/Delete Post 
I was toying with the idea of re-reading them, but never did because I'm petrified that re-reading them with an adult mind would ruin them for me.

Although I know that nothing could re-capture that magic I felt when I read and re-read the series when I was 10, I don't want them ruined by my now cynical adult mind. I'm even ambivalent about seeing the movie(s)they'll make. But I probably will just out of curiosity.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I'm sure that there will be people here who will hate me for saying this, but as an adult rereading the series the only book that really captures me is The Dark is Rising. It's probably the only one of them I'd recommend to an adult approaching the series for the first time (and it works well as a stand-alone novel, I think).

No hatred here! I've always felt that way about the series, though I do find The Grey King alright. I think I've got a thing for Bran. [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I did reread them as an adult and didn't find that to be true. I noticed different things in the books as an adult, but I still enjoyed them immensely.

As for a director: hmm..I think Gilliam would be way too over the top for my taste. I'd prefer someone like Shamylan (although not hime exactly), where things can be creepy and yet familiar. Gilliam imbues the familiar with creepiness, but makes it unfamiliar in the process. I'd prefer a lighter touch for this movie.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Gilliam *can* be over the top, but he isn't always. Or maybe I just think he has the capacity not to be. I definitely agree that he can be pretty heavy handed.

It was The Fisher King that made me think that he might be able to do it (and really, even if the rest of it was off I'd *love* to see how he handled Herne the Hunter), but even that goes a bit over the top.

I was also thinking about good directors whose work I enjoy who I think would be absolutely awful for this movie. Tim Burton, I think, would absolutely murder this story.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree, I think I would rather have him do it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.